Worth it?

MKCP5

DIS Veteran
so, I've never been to Universal. I'm heading to WDW in September w/ my DD (23) We are open to a non traditional trip this year and are considering a day at Universal. We are big HP fans. My DD went there when there was only one area of Universal with HP. My understanding is that for us to see all the HP we have to buy tickets to both parks for the day. $181 with tax!!!! I just don't know if there is enough of everything else there to make it worth it for me and I need your help to decide. I'm not a big roller coaster fan (bad neck) What should we see? What are your fav things to do? How much time would we spend on HP? Thanks guys!

Last edited:
The Harry Potter stuff is split fairly evenly between the parks... If doing it all is your objective, then need to go to both.

It depends on how much you want to experience it all and if you think it's worth it to experience it all.

The amount of area for each parks is the same. Both have one show. Diagon Alley has one attraction. Hogsmeade as three now. This is not including HE. The difference between the two in terms of shopping is that almost all of Diagon Alley's shops are occupied and more spread out, where as almost all of Hogsmeade's shops are for show and area is very narrow in terms of areas to walk.

There are pros and cons in terms if you decide to select one over the other (for one, no HE experience). However, I do say that if you do both, there is plenty to do, especially if you stick on the Universal end, as there are a lot of attractions and shows to do and only a couple of coasters over there.

Are there parts of Disney that you aren't totally into theme wise but still have fun at? I bet so! Same thing at Universal! There's a ton more than just Harry Potter! Go and give it a chance. It's a nice change from Disney and plenty of great rides, shows, themed areas... Don't just go and run in/ out only doing HP. Make a FULL day of it WITH park to park tickets. Hit Universal first, eat an early lunch, take the train to IOA, do some more HP, have some butterbeer on the patio at Hogshead Inn, go explore the rest of IOA. Train back to Universal and explore over there. Finish the night on Diagon Alley + Hogsmeade (light show). The Orlando Informer website has a good 1 day itinerary.

My husband and I could spend the day just wandering around both areas, with not doing any rides. It's that spectacular! Of course, we do the rides. But there is so much more. The shops are amazing and just like in the movies. The 2 restaurants are really good. I wouldn't hesitate to go to both parks at all. Have a great time!

When you say "everything" else, do you mean stuff besides HP? I don't do roller coasters either and can find enough to do in these parks to fill several days!

Getting park to park tickets are well worth it just for the HP sections. But the rest of the parks is pretty amazing too! Lots of shows and things to see!

I don't do roller coasters either. And until just this month, didn't even ride the 3D rides. Now I love them! (Spiderman is my favorite!).

One correction from an earlier posts--there are two shows in each HP section. Diagon Alley has The Tales of Beedle the Bard and Celestina Warbeck. Hogsmeade has The Frog Choir and the Beauxbatons and Drumstrang.

One correction from an earlier posts--there are two shows in each HP section. Diagon Alley has The Tales of Beedle the Bard and Celestina Warbeck. Hogsmeade has The Frog Choir and the Beauxbatons and Drumstrang.

Ooo, good thing to point out! Forgot about the other two since I typically do not watch them, especially since typically the The Frog Choir and the Beauxbatons show sometimes (in the past) felt as if it was blended into one.

Ooo, good thing to point out! Forgot about the other two since I typically do not watch them, especially since typically the The Frog Choir and the Beauxbatons show sometimes (in the past) felt as if it was blended into one.

LOL I only noticed because I thought it was all the same show too! One just seemed to blend in to the other. But this last trip (first of August), they were actually separated by a few hours. After watching the Frog Choir and not hearing the Durmstrang boys approaching, I was like "WHAT?" How could they do this??" And then I saw the other show later and all was well in my world again! LOL

We don't usually watch Celestina but do enjoy The Tales of Beedle the Bard.

Okay, so I am not insane in thinking they were blended together. That is the main reason why I forgot, because I do recall they went back to back originally, but it's interesting to know they separate them now. It probably is to make sure people notice they are in fact two separate shows and also that way to spread out the entertainment.

Two things I would not recommend:

1. Going to Universal for just one day for your first trip. You really need at least two days to see everything, even if you are not riding all of the rides. You could spend more than a day looking at all the HP stuff, if you really like HP (and we do).

2. Going to Universal and Disney in the same trip, unless you are in Orlando for 10+ days. With the way tickets are priced, both places make it cost prohibitive (for us at least) to go for 1 or 2 days. So we pick one place and go there for 4-5 days.

FYI, I just checked Disney and a 1-day park hopper on a Saturday is $185+tax. Ouch! A 2-day ticket there costs as much as an Annual Pass at Universal ($305). And the AP gets a very nice discount at their resorts...

2. Going to Universal and Disney in the same trip, unless you are in Orlando for 10+ days. With the way tickets are priced, both places make it cost prohibitive (for us at least) to go for 1 or 2 days. So we pick one place and go there for 4-5 days.

I respectfully disagree with this. We do a split stay nearly every trip - 5 days at Disney, 3 days at Universal. Total of 7 nights. We find this to be just the right amount of time for each place, and its not as cost prohibitive as a one day ticket.

I also think its fine to do one day in your trip if your primary interest is Potter stuff. I think the rest of both of the parks is worth seeing, and I agree that one day is not enough time to do everything, but one day at the parks doing Potter stuff is better than no Universal experience at all.

I also agree with PPs that both parks have enough to do to fill your time, even without rollercoasters. We tend to spend more time on the Universal side. IOA has some water rides that get you drenched, so we have to strategically plan those ones.

I respectfully disagree with this. We do a split stay nearly every trip - 5 days at Disney, 3 days at Universal. Total of 7 nights. We find this to be just the right amount of time for each place, and its not as cost prohibitive as a one day ticket.

I also think its fine to do one day in your trip if your primary interest is Potter stuff. I think the rest of both of the parks is worth seeing, and I agree that one day is not enough time to do everything, but one day at the parks doing Potter stuff is better than no Universal experience at all.

I also agree with PPs that both parks have enough to do to fill your time, even without rollercoasters. We tend to spend more time on the Universal side. IOA has some water rides that get you drenched, so we have to strategically plan those ones.

I am going to do a 4 day Disney Institute class, so we are going down for the 4 days prior to the class. We will def do a day at the food and wine, and still figuring the rest. I'm starting to think we may go ahead and do the HP and both parks. It would be a new adventure for us and I'm sure there is plenty for us to do besides that!

I am going to do a 4 day Disney Institute class, so we are going down for the 4 days prior to the class. We will def do a day at the food and wine, and still figuring the rest. I'm starting to think we may go ahead and do the HP and both parks. It would be a new adventure for us and I'm sure there is plenty for us to do besides that!
Life’s too short not to try new things. Go for it! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!