Worst wedding presents ever....

I still wonder if this gift was a joke!

My former coworker and his wife gave me a very generous cash gift. In a addition to the cash, they also gave me this strange vase. It was a plain glass vase that had paper doilies glued to it with some kind of lacquer over it, with a twine bow. It looked like a 2nd grader made it in art class or at camp.

He was a funny guy though, so I thought maybe the vase was a joke. I sent a thank you for the cash and beautiful vase, and waited for him to fess up that the vase was a joke. He never mentioned it. I don't work with him anymore, so I guess I'll never know!

My BF received a large bright blue/yellow ceramic fish...it had a lid which consisted of an island with Palm Tree as a handle. Ugliest thing you ever saw...but the biggest problem was 'what is it???' She was attempting to write a thank you to her aunt and we were stumped. I think we came up with some vague 'thanks for the fish'!?!?

Found out several years later that it was a soup tureen and had been bought at a fancy arty store...although I can't imagine ever putting something that ugly on the table! :eek:

A set of pillow cases with the words His and Hers written in what looked like a blue sharpie.

Also got some used kitchen towels.

Both were from elderly women. We did genuinely appreciate the thought.

My husband and I had two mutual friends who were married three months before our wedding. We gave them $100 as a wedding gift. Their wedding gift to us was $45. We found that kind of odd. LOL.

A wooden cutting board in the shape of a whale. The handle was the whale's tail. No idea why or who gave us that.

I still wonder if this gift was a joke!

My former coworker and his wife gave me a very generous cash gift. In a addition to the cash, they also gave me this strange vase. It was a plain glass vase that had paper doilies glued to it with some kind of lacquer over it, with a twine bow. It looked like a 2nd grader made it in art class or at camp.

He was a funny guy though, so I thought maybe the vase was a joke. I sent a thank you for the cash and beautiful vase, and waited for him to fess up that the vase was a joke. He never mentioned it. I don't work with him anymore, so I guess I'll never know!

Did the co-worker have a child in 1st-3rd grade? Maybe the kid wanted to send you a present, too. Kinda sweet, if you look at it that way.

My oddest wedding present was actually something quite expensive: A sterling silver vegetable dish, just like the traditional shower/wedding gifts of the 1950s. Question was, who'd ever use such a thing? Our idea of entertaining is pot luck, BBQs, etc.; we live a casual lifestyle. It stayed in its gift box for years. When packing to move, a friend "admired" it with just the appropriate amount of confusion/horror/sarcasm, so guess what he got when HE got married? Yup, re-gifted. I guess he's since re-gifted it and it's making its way across the country (usually with the story of its history- and a nice check- included). Of course, with the price of silver right now, I kinda wish I still had it :laughing:

My cousin (a Dr) and his wife gave us a set of green twin sheets. Not sure why, since our bedroom color was blue and our bed was queen. :confused3 We just thanked them for the sheets.

mrsheppo said:
My new MIL was dropped off on my doorstep the day after the wedding. The other family members said it was now my turn to take care of her. She ended up living with us for 6 years.

Haha...you win.

We just got money. I don't remember much else.

I got three deviled-egg plates. I guess we should have registered! I don't even like deviled eggs!:)

The two bounced checks that my husbands two cousins wrote. It cost us money in fees.

DH elderly uncle have us $6.00. We cracked up laughing when we opened the card and a $5 bill and a $1 bill fell out. He was a nice man, but I don't think he got out much and probably hadn't been to a wedding in years!

Not me - but a friend of mine who is the nicest, sweetest person on the face of the earth got two washcloths for a wedding present that had no card attached.

She was horrified that she was not sending a thank you note to the anonymous donor. But on the other hand she did not want to ask people that had not sent a present if they had sent the two wash clothes.

Talk about a rock and a hard place. She is so kind. She genuinely appreciated the gift but could not give the appropriate thanks. She is the last person on the face of the earth who expected anything so she did not want to put down the present.

The only reason that I even know about it is because she discreetly asked me if I had a clue who gave the present.

I had several gifts like that - no name/card attached. And how can you ask someone - uh, did you get me this gift? when, maybe they didn't get you anything at all? or maybe, it even was part of another gift?

My new MIL was dropped off on my doorstep the day after the wedding. The other family members said it was now my turn to take care of her. She ended up living with us for 6 years.

Did you not get a honeymoon? That was your "Welcome to the Family" gift, not your wedding gift. Major difference. But, yes, I agree you win.

My BF received a large bright blue/yellow ceramic fish...it had a lid which consisted of an island with Palm Tree as a handle. Ugliest thing you ever saw...but the biggest problem was 'what is it???' She was attempting to write a thank you to her aunt and we were stumped. I think we came up with some vague 'thanks for the fish'!?!?

Found out several years later that it was a soup tureen and had been bought at a fancy arty store...although I can't imagine ever putting something that ugly on the table! :eek:

That's when you write "It's such an interesting piece and the colors are so vibrant, I just love it!!!!".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter