women in your 30s or older - clothing question

If you can fit in it and it looks good why on earth not?

Oh heck I'd be wearing stuff from those stores if I could get my chubby self into them! LOL

There are lot of really cute and nice things at those stores that aren't just for the teens!

Good for you OP!

As my dh use to say, when you see a 50 year old women trying to go up against a 21 year old in dress and makeup, it usually makes the older women looking bad.

A women here insists on buying stuff from Jcp jr section. the guys call her "wiggly jiggly". Not a good think.

Nope. I hate those stores but it has nothing to do with age. LOL. first of all your daughter hit the nail right on the head. Even when I was 30 I hated looking like everyone else. One of the reasons I hated living in the suburbs. Lets see in my neighborhood I have 3 major malls ALL of them have exactly the same 6 stores. Really, so I'm dressing like every high school kid in south Jersey? :lmao: How many Gaps and aeropostale do I need.

So my question is, it's not that your two old but why if you are 40 would you want to look like a High schooler?

In general I don't do malls. Now I do love Bloomings, nostroms and Lord and taylor. I love Dillards also but they are not on the east coast.

Next, I really don't think they are all that great quality wise.

I can assure you that shopping at those stores does not make me look like a teenager. It makes me look like an adult with properly fitting clothes. Besides, teenagers don't even look like teenagers these days. :laughing:

I'll be 30 in May and while I've gotten away from buying clothing at Aeropostale and Hollister I do still purchase items, mainly tops and sweaters, from A&F and AE. I used to love AE denim but ever since I had DD they just don't fit the same.. :rotfl: My taste has changed too, I now find stores like Limited and jeans with a higher waistband (NOT "Mom Jeans") more appealing.

I can assure you that shopping at those stores does not make me look like a teenager. It makes me look like an adult with properly fitting clothes. Besides, teenagers don't even look like teenagers these days. :laughing:

If you wear juniors sizes, how can you not look like a teen? :confused3

As my dh use to say, when you see a 50 year old women trying to go up against a 21 year old in dress and makeup, it usually makes the older women looking bad.

A women here insists on buying stuff from Jcp jr section. the guys call her "wiggly jiggly". Not a good think.

There's a big difference from adults squeezing themselves into too small "teen" clothing and trying to look young and finding cute things that are flattering to older women.

Those stores do carry nice jeans and sweaters and tops - my 22 and 12 year olds have sometimes said they thought I would look good on some stuff they carry.

I'm not getting a "feel" that the OP is trying to look like a teen or relive her youth. When I'm shopping for my girls there I see many things that make me wish I was skinny enough to wear it! And I'm a very conservative dresser!

The assumption that their are only "teen" type clothing in these stores and that older women who wear clothing purchased there look like sad women trying to look relive their youth is just mean spirited! It really makes them seem bitter and jealous!

For those that are in the 35-50 range, where *do* you shop?

Because I LOVE Coldwater Creek and have a lot of clothes from there, but it seems it is known in this thread as an old woman store. :guilty: I think they have classic, nice-looking modest clothes. :confused3

I'm not going to shop at the same places my kids (17 and 12) shop, so where do the rest of you shop?

I used to lump Coldwater Creek in with the old women stores but I've been finding things that I like there (it reminds me of Loft, quite possibly my favorite store on this planet). Some of their items leave me wondering who in the heck would wear that, but just this morning I ordered this shell to wear under a cardigan for DD's birthday party next month.

As far as pants go, I stick with not buying juniors sizes. I'm more of a bargain shopper and I don't like wearing the same thing as everyone else so I'm more of a thrift store or discount store (Tjs, Nordstrom Rack) shopper. I just stay away from anything with juniors sizing regardless Of how cute I think something is. I know a few women still trying to wear juniors and it just seems sad to me. Plus I think a lot of that stuff is cheaply made.

Because not all junior sized clothing screams "teenager". :confused3

It does though. I don't want to argue or anything but isn't that the whole point of it, to be for teens and young adults.

I can understand that certain body types probably prefer juniors sizing because it fits them better.

For those that are in the 35-50 range, where *do* you shop?

Because I LOVE Coldwater Creek and have a lot of clothes from there, but it seems it is known in this thread as an old woman store. :guilty: I think they have classic, nice-looking modest clothes. :confused3

I'm not going to shop at the same places my kids (17 and 12) shop, so where do the rest of you shop?

I'm a tad over 50:rolleyes1 but I shop J.Jill and Talbots. Talbots has 3 different cuts to their jeans and slacks. Once I found my "type" I shop their clearance sales mainly online. I love their quality. J.Jill makes nice casual and comfortable clothing and I find the quality decent. They have online sales, too. Gee, can you tell I love a bargain:thumbsup2

No I don't shop at any of those stores but not because they are for teens. I don't shop at them because I value my money and can find perfectly good, well fitting, long lasting clothes for a LOT less money elsewhere.

I'm 40, I like to look nice and age appropriate. I look pretty good, if I do say so, and could wear just about anything. I don't want to dress like a teenager though. I shop at discount stores (stein mart, TJMAXX, etc) and chain stores for women for tops, but I'm really picky and and I could look at a lot of stuff before I buy. ( I also have a budget, can't just buy whatever I want-I'm a clearance rack kinda girl) I like to look feminine, sexy even, but definitely like an individual not a cookie cutter suburban mom-must be comfortable too. I buy jeans at Banana Republic or some designer style at a discount store, once again they have to do more than just fit. They have to fit and enhance;-)

So if an older woman has a teen/junior shaped body she has no right to wear clothing that fits her because the store is not aimed at her age!

I prefer not to dress like a teenager and look my age, as well as wear age-appropriate clothing.

Not everyone shares that sentiment (as seen in my daily life).

I would still buy clothing from those stores BUT I will not buy it with a big Logo on the front of it.

My 13 year old daughter would disown me.

Thankfully I have no desire to dress like a teen, so we can both be happy.

Well, jeans are jeans. Shirts and sweaters tanks and tees are pretty much all the same. I'm a size four, so these clothes have a better fit for me than some of the "mom stores".

As I said, I don't wear the logo shirts, but you can't tell the difference between an American Eagle tee and a tee from The Loft.

Middle schoolers at the school where I teach all show up in Victoria Secret "PINK" clothes, and in my opinion, these are clothes for women, not girls. It's all relative.

Around here PINK is considered for the teen crowd, VS for adult.

No, I don't buy myself clothes at Aero, A&F, Hollister or AE. My daughters have given up on those stores as well, HS & college sophomores.

It does though. I don't want to argue or anything but isn't that the whole point of it, to be for teens and young adults.

I can understand that certain body types probably prefer juniors sizing because it fits them better.

I have already stated that I am built like a teenager. A sweater from a junior's department fits me better than a similar sweater in a women's department. Why would I not buy it in the junior's department? Age is a number. It does not define what looks good on you.

I think its all relative to style and taste and lifestyle.

I prefer classic looks and styles that last for a very long time. Some people will say that is for "older" women but its just what appeals to me.

I work full time so I tend to look at something that I can wear for work AND personal time. I dont want two closets. But that is me.

I have already stated that I am built like a teenager. A sweater from a junior's department fits me better than a similar sweater in a women's department. Why would I not buy it in the junior's department? Age is a number. It does not define what looks good on you.

That's not really true though. Age can define what won't look good on you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter