women in your 30s or older - clothing question

Do you wear clothing from Abercrombie, American Eagle, Aeropostale, etc? I love the AE jeans, and got a cute sweater from there, but then DD (who is in middle school) says someone at her school has the same sweater. Just wondering if other women wear these brands or if I'm too old to shop there now. :confused3

Only read this post, but IMO, you are too old to shop there.

I'm 35 and I have a petite figure, and no I don't shop at those stores. I get jeans at Nordstrom Rack (7s, Hudsons, True Religion, etc)

Other stores I frequent JCrew, Garnet Hill, and Boden. For conservative work clothes I like the clearance stuff at Talbots.

This picture shows my body type. The shirt I have on came from the junior's department. Nothing about that shirt screams teenager. It's just a blue shirt that fits me perfectly. :confused3

When I was in high school I had to beg my mother to shop for jeans in the juniors section. She insisted that nothing would fit, and that it wouldn't look right on her. Well, when I finally got her to try some, not only did they fit, but they looked fab on her! She never looked back!

The moral of the story is, if it fits, and looks flattering, then buy it! Especially when it comes to pants, it isn't always easy to find pants that fit well, so who cares where you buy it from? What a shame they you would stop shopping at particular stow bc you feel like it's not clothes for your age. And bc no one item is an outfit, you can easily buy something from a 'teen store' and combine with other more 'mature' items and create an attractive and appropriate outfit.

This picture shows my body type. The shirt I have on came from the junior's department. Nothing about that shirt screams teenager. It's just a blue shirt that fits me perfectly. :confused3

Well I tried to defend you - that pic didn't help!

(But you do are in great shape! :))

For those that are in the 35-50 range, where *do* you shop?

Because I LOVE Coldwater Creek and have a lot of clothes from there, but it seems it is known in this thread as an old woman store. :guilty: I think they have classic, nice-looking modest clothes. :confused3

I'm not going to shop at the same places my kids (17 and 12) shop, so where do the rest of you shop?

Have you looked in Ann Taylor, Loft, or Chicos?

That's not really true though. Age can define what won't look good on you.

Age can play a part in it, but only because a woman's body can change as they age. The number itself has no impact. It is all about how the woman LOOKS in the clothing. As long as the clothing actually fits them, then you would never really know.

Besides, how does a pair of jeans from one store look different then a pair from another store? The labels are not obvious enough to be read by everyone. All I would know is that someone is wearing a pair of jeans.

Well I tried to defend you - that pic didn't help!

(But you do are in great shape! :))

:rotfl2: To clarify, I do not dress like that everyday. That is my Barbie costume from a past MNSSHP. Most people around here are familiar with my costume. I just chose it because it clearly shows my body size. :laughing:

ETA:that is not my real hair, either. :rotfl:

My 12 year old has that same shirt, so to me, it does scream tween/teen. For others that don't recognize the shirt, it probably doesn't.

My 12 year old has that same shirt, so to me, it does scream tween/teen. For others that don't recognize the shirt, it probably doesn't.

Wow. Your 12 year old has the exact same shirt that I removed parts of to make it work better with my costume? That's convenient. :confused3 So plain blue v-neck shirts are strictly teenage-looking shirts? News to me.

It is a blue tshirt.

Do all blue v-neck tshirts scream tween/teen?

I am confused.

I am 43 and thin (size 2/4) and shop at LOFT. But my favorite store for both work and casual is White House Black Market. In my opinion, the clothes are age appropriate but still attractive.

I do not think it is fair to rule out an entire store. It really is about the particular item and the way it fits the person in question.

It just looks like a blue t-shirt to me. :confused3

Anyway, everyone is different, let's all just agree on that. Just because a woman shops in 'younger' stores doesn't mean she's walking around in leopard print mini-skirts and Justin Bieber t-shirts. And just because a woman shops in 'older stores' doesn't mean she's wearing tweed pantsuits and mumus.

Or something. :laughing:

Here's another shirt I got from a junior's department. I was 32 in this photo. Nothing about this looks like a teenager to me. :confused3

Just want to say how odd it is that people want to argue that NO clothes from a Juniors department are appropriate for adults who are small. My DSIS is tiny and I often shop with her in the Juniors department. She buys tanks, t-shirts and even dressier work-appropriate tops. She can not buy Juniors dresses or shorts (too short for her age/comfort), but to suggest that a blue t-shirt from the Juniors department is somehow taboo for a small adult is just odd.

Age can play a part in it, but only because a woman's body can change as they age. The number itself has no impact. It is all about how the woman LOOKS in the clothing. As long as the clothing actually fits them, then you would never really know.

Besides, how does a pair of jeans from one store look different then a pair from another store? The labels are not obvious enough to be read by everyone. All I would know is that someone is wearing a pair of jeans.

The number can absolutely tell you something isn't going to look good on you. It's also not about one item either. Yeah those jeans might look good but when you pair it other things from the junior department, you start to get a look that was obviously meant for a young person

It is a blue tshirt.

Do all blue v-neck tshirts scream tween/teen?

I am confused.

Because it is a tshirt my DD wears, yes, to me, it looks like a shirt a teen would wear. I said above if someone isn't familiar with the shirt, it looks like a normal tshirt.

[QUOTE="Cinder" Ella's Mom;50701510]Just want to say how odd it is that people want to argue that NO clothes from a Juniors department are appropriate for adults who are small. My DSIS is tiny and I often shop with her in the Juniors department. She buys tanks, t-shirts and even dressier work-appropriate tops. She can not buy Juniors dresses or shorts (too short for her age/comfort), but to suggest that a blue t-shirt from the Juniors department is somehow taboo for a small adult is just odd.[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone is saying NO clothes in the junior department can be ever worn by adults.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter