Woman Sues After Scooter Falls on Her During Walt Disney World Bus Ride

So the person on the scooter fell off while the scooter remained in place and upright?

This changes the situation to be nearly equal to one standing passenger losing his balance and falling into another standing passenger, like bowling pins toppling.

From the original post, above:

"A New York woman is suing Disney in Orange Circuit Court related to injuries suffered in December 2015 aboard a Walt Disney World bus when another guest’s motorized scooter tipped and knocked her over." (emphasis mine)

From that, I take it that both the rider *and* the ECV tipped over onto the standing Guest.

From the original post, above:

"A New York woman is suing Disney in Orange Circuit Court related to injuries suffered in December 2015 aboard a Walt Disney World bus when another guest’s motorized scooter tipped and knocked her over." (emphasis mine)

From that, I take it that both the rider *and* the ECV tipped over onto the standing Guest.
Different articles have said different things, so I’m not sure the actual facts will be known until the trial.
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/bus...efl9XEmxuZszaxpY3Qh0-osPF1o2C6jRgRvGPR5-yDFMgThis article says “When the bus driver made a sharp turn, it tipped over a woman sitting on a scooter, knocking over Rose, who has since suffered problems with her knees and her back.” (my bold)
That sounds like the woman on the scooter tipped, not the scooter itself.

I’ve seen different articles that say the woman is alleging different things - in fact the headline in the article I linked doesn’t match the text inside the article.

You don't get the bus moving until the adult is off the scooter? If the adult doesn't move, then you unload and put everyone else on another bus, and leave the adult sitting there on the bus.
There is not a requirement for the guest to get off an ECV or even to use the seatbelt. It’s a recommendation only.

It is sad that no one gave up a seat so this 70 year old woman did not have to stand on the bus while it was moving. They need a better way of securing the ECVs/wheelchairs on the bus. Plus that bus driver needs to slow down.

It is sad that no one gave up a seat so this 70 year old woman did not have to stand on the bus while it was moving. They need a better way of securing the ECVs/wheelchairs on the bus. Plus that bus driver needs to slow down.
The system they have for securing ECVs and wheelchairs on the buses is very good and very secure.
If it was not secured properly, that is a possible training issue. It could also be an ECV equipment issue.

Also, the ECVs from the Featured Providers should all have secure places to attach the tie down straps. Some from non-Featured providers or people’s personal ECVs may not.

Because I could see the bus was going to be full, I stayed on the scooter ONCE--so I wouldn't take up a seat someone else could use. I guess the driver had not adequately secured the scooter and me--because he took a corner much too fast and I started to tip over--the only thing that saved me was the bus was packed and there were two or three burly guys right next to me that kept me from going over. I now always move to a seat.

On my trip in 2004 I got on a crowded bus and was strap hanging when the driver had to brake, a large lady who was not holding on to anything went barrelling into me, I jolted forward, but, I still held onto the strap, I felt a pain my shoulder, but, thought nothing more of it, unfortunately I had damaged my shoulder and ended up with a frozen shoulder that lasted two years. Whose fault was it? The lady for not holding on to something or me for not letting go of the strap, which would have resulted in me going into people. All I know is that I didn't blame Disney or the driver.
Regards this lady, is she a frail 70 year old or one who takes good care of herself. Didn't anyone offer her a seat so she could ride safely? Or did she refuse to take up the offer of a seat.
As I get older I try not to get on overcrowded buses, I'm reasonably fit, but, sometimes I think they are dangerously overcrowded and Disney could help by adding more buses for popular resorts at peak times and perhaps adding some kind of external storage for those extra large strollers some people insist on bringing along. Like the bike racks on the front of LYNX buses.

On my trip in 2004 I got on a crowded bus and was strap hanging when the driver had to brake, a large lady who was not holding on to anything went barrelling into me, I jolted forward, but, I still held onto the strap, I felt a pain my shoulder, but, thought nothing more of it, unfortunately I had damaged my shoulder and ended up with a frozen shoulder that lasted two years. Whose fault was it? The lady for not holding on to something or me for not letting go of the strap, which would have resulted in me going into people. All I know is that I didn't blame Disney or the driver.
Regards this lady, is she a frail 70 year old or one who takes good care of herself. Didn't anyone offer her a seat so she could ride safely? Or did she refuse to take up the offer of a seat.
As I get older I try not to get on overcrowded buses, I'm reasonably fit, but, sometimes I think they are dangerously overcrowded and Disney could help by adding more buses for popular resorts at peak times and perhaps adding some kind of external storage for those extra large strollers some people insist on bringing along. Like the bike racks on the front of LYNX buses.

I wish they wouldn't allow people to stand on the buses. Everyone should get a seat. I can't imagine how many more buses they would need. I have waited for the next but so that I can have a seat at times.

I wish they wouldn't allow people to stand on the buses. Everyone should get a seat. I can't imagine how many more buses they would need. I have waited for the next but so that I can have a seat at times.

Yeah, at least once during my trips I’m always gonna be in a “sardine bus”.

Yes, I know, just explaining how one would "force" someone to do something. But I do think there should be a requirement to either use the seatbelt or sit in a regular seat. That would be common sense, IMO.

Agree 100%, if you don’t have a seatbelt on your scooter (some scooter companies offer that as an option on select models) or you don’t wanna wear the one on the bus, then you can’t sit in the scooter, plain and simple.

It is sad that no one gave up a seat so this 70 year old woman did not have to stand on the bus while it was moving.

They should have an announcement to give up seats to people that NEED to sit down on the bus when people just flat out refuse to give up their seat to someone with a cane, walker, older person, etc. (I’m not talking about the announcement that is just after the bus pulls out of the loading area and is on the road) like they do when parents have to fold up their kids’ strollers.

Or at least enforce that rule more somehow.

They should have an announcement to give up seats to people that NEED to sit down on the bus when people just flat out refuse to give up their seat to someone with a cane, walker, older person, etc. (I’m not talking about the announcement that is just after the bus pulls out of the loading area and is on the road) like they do when parents have to fold up their kids’ strollers.

How does anyone decide who needs a seat more than someone else though? That 55 year old woman looks really fit, why is she in a seat? That 20 year old man, why is he in a seat? Well, I'm the 55 year old woman, and one of my legs has a scar running down it from melanoma re-excision and it hurts to stand on it sometimes, especially on a moving bus. The 20 year old doesn't have binocular vision and gets disoriented easily and feels safer sitting down, and has Asperger's syndrome and doesn't like to have strangers sit next/touch him. He's been dealing with it all day and doesn't have the energy to hold it all in anymore. A seat on the bus works for them, and they waited until they could get a seat.

Yeah, at least once during my trips I’m always gonna be in a “sardine bus”.

Agree 100%, if you don’t have a seatbelt on your scooter (some scooter companies offer that as an option on select models) or you don’t wanna wear the one on the bus, then you can’t sit in the scooter, plain and simple.

If you need a seat and one isn’t available, you should wait for the next bus.

I just got back and I got the sense from almost every bus driver that they expected me to stay in the scooter. Most just grabbed the seatbelt as soon as I parked to try to fasten it. None asked me if I wanted to move to a seat or stay in the scooter, etc. I can see where people who use scooters may think they SHOULD stay in it typically. I think if Disney wanted to generally have people move to seats they should have the driver ask "would you like to stay in your scooter or move to a seat?" or "We recommend you move to a seat if you can" (well word that one better but something like that). I was often on busses with 2 scooters and no one moved out. Overall the drivers did a fantastic job...some of them have the patience of Job in dealing with people - lol!

I did see families with little sleeping kids who chose to wait for another bus when it got to standing room only on the busses leaving the parks after fireworks that were super crowded. They just let people go around them who were happy to stand so they could get back sooner. I think this worked very well.

Why shouldn't those who know they need a seat be responsible for themselves? If I'm having a day where I can't stand on a moving bus (and at age 52 I do have those) I don't get on a standing room only bus. Why is the onus on everyone else, but not on the people who need a seat?

My 80+ year old dad went to the parks with me, my sister, and my nephew last year. We rented a car because we knew there was no way on earth he could stand on a bus. So we weren't going to put him into the position of having to beg/glare at/rely on strangers to give him a seat. And we stayed at the Swan where we knew we had easy access to 2 of the 4 parks. I would never get on a full bus and expect someone else to get up.

In the parks: everybody would sit all day, maybe go on a ride once in a while, but never spend any money.
at the buses: exactly what happens now at the deluxe and moderate resorts - early arrivals will sit, later arrivals will stand close to where the bus door opens, there will be skirmishes (or worse) because, "I was here first!" " Then you should have been standing where we did! " :)

In the parks: everybody would sit all day, maybe go on a ride once in a while, but never spend any money.
at the buses: exactly what happens now at the deluxe and moderate resorts - early arrivals will sit, later arrivals will stand close to where the bus door opens, there will be skirmishes (or worse) because, "I was here first!" " Then you should have been standing where we did! " :)

After many stays at moderate and deluxe resorts I have yet to see a skirmish over who gets on the bus first.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!