Wk of Nov 13--2006 Disney Half-Full Marathon Info/Training

Stonker alert! Did my LR of 16 miles today. It was a 10:44/mile pace compared to my 14 mile LR 2 weeks ago at 10:04/mile pace and 9:52 paces for last week's 8 miler. Sunny, started out with temps in the 30s and it was up to 40 by the time I finished. All my running clothes were soaked when I took them off so maybe a vest over a long sleeve shirt with tights is overdressing for upper 30s temps. :confused3 Nutrition seemed okay- I carried gatorade rather than just water and took gels at 4, 8, and 12 miles.(2 vanilla Gu, 1 Clif Razz sorbet. Doing a run 2 miles, walk 1 minute interval set up) My stomach seemed to tolerate them just fine, I just couldn't motivate myself to run faster it seemed. I did learn that a 1 minute walk break is not a long enough time for me to open a gel, suck it down, stash it in the pocket, and rinse it down with plain water.

Way to go racers! Those are some impressive times. Isn't it nice to see our training is doing some good. Even if I whine about how today's LR went, let's face it, I still ran 16 miles. That distance use to require a bicycle.
Lisa, glad to see rehab going so well.
Mel, yeah pace. Remember is the Spring how worried you were and now you're far ahead of the sweeper?

Haven't been to the mailbox yet today to check for packet since I get my mail at school rather the house. I ran past the building(about 1.4 miles or so from home) but alas wasn't carrying my keys. Will probably study for a while since I have the Respiratory System exam Monday and an OPP practical Tuesday and then drive into town to grocery shop. I figure the 1700+ calories for today's run deserves a personal pizza. Will check mail while out doing that.

Good luck to all those still to do their LR this weekend and PD for the aches and pains :wizard:

Heather—I’m so glad to hear the positive report on the hip. :goodvibes

Krista—I have to say that just the other day I stumbled on a site about self defense (I can’t find it again or I’d post it) The author is a female black belt jujitsu instructor. She cautioned about carrying weapons you don’t know how to use because they can easily be used against you. She had a neat idea—a plastic lemon filled with ammonia! (it would be pretty gross if it leaked thought).

Lisa—How many disasters to you plan to have before the race???? OMG!!!! :earseek:

lacool—Awsome job!!!!! :cheer2: :banana: :cheer2: As for mixing gels/ade water, I’d say whatever has been working for you on your LRs will work on race day.

Lily—I’m glad the back is better. How’d the16 miler go?

Colleen—First place!!!!! Yeah, You ROCK!!!!! :cheer2: :banana: :cheer2: And what an incredible PR from last year’s race.

Crzy4Pooh—Way to go! I just have one edit for you. You said, “On a happy note, I finally had that moment where I realized that I am actually going to get the Mickey medal (barring any unforseen injuries/setbacks).” It should read:

“On a happy note, I finally had that moment where I realized that I am actually going to get the Mickey medal.” PERIOD!!!!! That is a moment to cherish in the training journal :goodvibes

I’m so high my feet aren’t touching the ground! :teeth: :Pinkbounc :teeth:

After the total body mutiny two weeks ago, and Dumb-dumb causing me to totally self doubt myself this week, I read Susan’s website last night and came to the conclusion I am doing everything wrong. I’ve read so many training philosophies and talked to so many local people who have run marathons (many Boston) that my head is all mixed up. I realized I used to run long distances for fun and enjoy it. Now I am constantly second guessing my ability and trying to follow someone else’s advice. I decided last night to just forget all this training stuff and just do what comes natural. So I set out today to do a 20 miler, slow and steady the way that feels natural. It was wonderful. I totally felt the joy of running. I even stopped for a coffee break at mile 16, because that’s what I like! :teeth: By mile 18 I knew I had enough power left to speed up so I ran the last two splits relatively fast. I definitely could have gone another mile or two today. This is a huge PR over my first 20 miler back in August. On that one I was in total body agony by mile 17 and nearly cried to get back to my car.

Again, my limiting factor is my glutes. Is anyone else limited by glutes? Most runners talk of quads and hamstrings, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anyone else who feels it all in their glutes. It was the only area today that was screaming "STOP"!

Now, for the real news: Just when I thought I had hit a plateau on the slippery slope of insanity this LR stuff brings, I discover there are new levels to explore. I got up at 5AM for my LR (first slip into insanity). I ran 20 miles starting at 20 deg F (second slip into insanity). THEN, I took the plunge (literally). Returning home chilled to the bone, feeling like there’s no way I could be any colder, I took an ice bath. (Now I can call MelR a Southern WEENIE!!!!!!!). I made a huge mug of steaming hot tea and headed to the torture chamber (bathroom). I took Carrie’s approach and sat in the tub just as the water started (I don’t think I could have sat down in a full tub of ice water). I rested my feet on the wall to allow the water to slowly rise up my legs and then brought my legs down into the water but didn’t allow my toes to submerge (I’m not TOTALLY crazy, my toes did nothing to deserve such cruel punishment :p ). I pretty much burned my hands clamping to the hot mug, and burned my mouth and throat gulping the hot tea as fast as I could possibly stand it, while my bottom half shivered!!!!! But it worked. I could feel the healing and my legs felt soooooo good when it was over. I have no residual stiffness or soreness hours after my LR. I’m totally a believer now!

Will there be hoses or ice baths available at the finish?

Here’s today’s splits
November 19, 2005 20.2 miles BP, Avg pace 10:53

1 11:28
2 11:26
3 11:04
4 10:36
5 11:35
6 10:44
7 10:42
8 9:45
9 10:33
10 10:49
11 11:50
12 10:50
13 10:54
14 11:17
15 9:58
16 12:05
17 11:28
18 10:45
19 10:28
20 9:34

No packet yet. grrrr.

Hope everyone is having a terrific LR today :)

Sunny

Lynn-- Your post must have popped up while I was writing mine. Sorry to hear you had a stonker. You must have started much later than me to hit such nice weather! 40s are positively balmy now!!!!!!

Lisa-- your's, too! Congrats on the flight arrangements. Here's :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: That you get it in 8 days!

Sunny

Oh, I meant to mention I tried a new recovery drink today. It is Met-RX RTD40 protein shake. It has 40g protein, and lots of vitamins and minerals. I think it may have been really helpful. I got it at VitaminShoppe. It wasn't the most tastey thing...

Also I am realizing many things are wearing down during training and may need to be replaced before race day: MP3 player is a bit wiggy these days, headphones may break at any moment, prescription sun glasses are feeling wiggly at the joints... I just thought I'd mention that so other's will be careful about absolute necessaties being in prime shape for race day, too!

Sunny

Sunny: I'm a student now so exactly 3 things will get me out of bed at 5 am or earlier
1. Uncle Sam says I have to be someplace
2. early race start
3. an airplane flight- often to someplace nice like Orlando
It's actually a great life for training as I only have to work out, go to school, study, feed myself, and sleep. I have an Ironman LP shirt that says: "Life is simple. Swim, bike, run, eat, sleep." Not quite that simple, but close.

I don't have an answer on the glutes question. Mine never hurt but I come from a bike/swim background. Although I have to admit that I'm the consumate distance freestyler that swims with a 2 beat kick- or in english, I kick as little as possible. It's not that I'm not good at it, it's just that the big muscles active in kicking use a whole lot of energy and I'm all about economy. So maybe it has something to do with your gait or strides??? Glad to hear that the rest of the run felt good though.

Lynnda- awesome job on your LR!

No packet today, just a bank statement. Maybe Monday. If it doesn't come Monday or Tuesday, I won't see it until Nov 28 due to goin' visitin' for T-day.

I received my packet today. It is very exciting to read through.

One thing of note, "....Headphones are discouraged..." They list a number of things that are not allowed and then this is the comment about headphones. I am so happy because I am the type that would stress about "illegally" smuggling in my MP3 player. I feel a lot better, as it is now at the runner's discretion.

Colleen.

Hi everybody!

Still no packet for me, hopefully Monday will be the day....

I did my 7 mile LW today in 1:50:40. According to the garmin the pace was 15:15. Can I take credit for the beautiful Saturday weather in northern IL? This was the fourth Saturday in a row that I've walked outside (I usually do everything on a TM), and the fourth Saturday with pretty decent weather. The wind did pick up the last three miles today, but it wasn't too bad. I have to give a thank you to my sweet hubby who has walked with me these Saturdays so I don't have to go alone. He hasn't done any training, but his 6'3" legs can sure move, and he has had no trouble keeping the pace.

The next two Saturdays we will be in WDW, so hopefully I won't have to worry about the weather, especially since the latest news says Gamma is going to miss FL!

Happy training to all!

Such great news to be reading about everyone getting packets. Not me though.

Also good news about those LRs. All seems to be coming together.

Lisa, PD for the tickets next week. Sounds like you are making great progress.

Sunny, what a breaktrhough! I know you will be having a wonderful time come January. No struggling and all fun!

I am sorry to read stonker, but know it will be better.

My story: got an 8-miler in today. Did it ALL by walking. I am grateful that I was out on such a beautiful day. Cold, sunny...beautiful and I was out! Hurt, did my "crawl" yet I did. I did it in 2 hours 20 minutes...about 17:30 pace. Tomorrow is going to be cold and sunny and I am going at it again only longer. Back is troubling, but I am going. If I put in the steps, I figure it has to be worth something. I am not trying to further injury. I am getting better, and I don't feel worse after the 8 miles so I'm going for it tomorrow.

I complete my 7 mile walk today. Well actually 7.75 in 2:06. DId the extra .75 as a cool down to keep moving while waiting for DD2 to get back with the car. Since it was only 40 out, I knew I would get cold if I stopped. I never would have venture out dressed like I was before starting the training. I had on 2 long sleeve shirts and a windbreaker. I learned when it is that temp and slightly windy, wind pants over the tights would probably be much more comfortable.

DD2 wants me to do the Jingle Bell 5k with her tomorrow. I will do it even though it is supposed to be my rest day. I haven't figured out how to rest on Sundays when i can convince her to walk with me.

Monday, we are going down the the park and doing a community 2 mile walk to preview the Lignts on the Lake. It is an annual event that you usually drive through. We still ked DD2 about taking her there when she was 4 and asking how she liked the lights. Her response was "They were nice but I didn't see any lights on the lake." Only from the mouths of babes.

Thursday we plan on doing the Turkey Trot 5 mile, while Xterra tri does the 10 mile. Whether we do it depends on the weather. We are supposed to get hit with a snow storm on Wed and Thurs. We will have to see how accurate the weatherman is. All summer we were wishing for cooler dryer temperatures. Now everyone is complaining about the cold. Will we ever be happy?

Good job everyone on their LW/LR. Everyone is doing great. Only 7 more weeks until M day.

Happy training.

No packet for me today. :sad:

Only got in an hour workout today. Was hoping for more, but I am volunteering at the Philly marathon this weekend and worked longer at the Expo today than I thought. Have to be back there at 6 AM so I am getting ready to try to sleep now. Hoping I will gain some inspiration from watching all the marathoners tomorrow. :goodvibes

I did buy a long sleeve green coolmax shirt today (can never have too many ;) ) and a ls moisture wick shirt that has "Gone Loco" (crazy) on the back. That's about my state of mind at this point.

Planning to start the next week off right by going on an 8 mile LW tomorrow after I get home from the marathon.

Have a good weekend everyone.
Terri

Colleen - Great Job!!!!!! 1st place!!!! Such a good pace. I don't think I could ever run that fast!!!!!

Lisa - Way to go!!!!! You are really amazing!!!

Sunny - WHATEVER!!!!! I'M PROUD THAT I'M STILL A WEENIE!!!!! I even took the little heater rock climbing today.! Speaking of climbing, my glutes have been sore since the 18miler on thurs. The climbing seemed to stretch out the booty muscles and make them feel better!!! I think I'd rather climb in the cold while trying to manage a bunch of kids than take an ice bath!!!
I'm glad to hear about your LR breakthrough! You did great!!! In regards to the MP3 player, I don't know what kind you are affectionate about, but..... many times if you visit the apple.com site and click the tab for the apple store, you can scroll down until you find the red "sale" tag. When you click this, it usually gives you 2 options. If you choose the apple certified (reconditioned) tab, you can often find ipod's of all sizes at good discounts!!

Great job on the pace MEL!!!!!

No packet yet for me! Hope everyone has a great rest of their weekend. Just want Y'ALL to know, I'm going to take a HOT bath to wash the grime from the rock and Horseshoe Canyon Ranch off of me!

Christa - Good pace on your LR! Are you sore after running the doubles? I am getting a little worried about it. I'm thinking I make take the 1/2 slower than I planned. I was originally think 10:30, but, I may take it down to 11:00 just to make the full easier???? :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter