Wk of Nov 13--2006 Disney Half-Full Marathon Info/Training

chimera

<font color=deeppink>WISH Racing Team Member<br><f
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we're a group of people who are planning to participate in the 2006 and/or 2007 Disney Half or Full marathons. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us!

Here's the Marathon FAQ, a great place to answer your marathon questions:
Disney Marathon FAQ
And some websites for further running/walking info:
http://www.runnersworld.com
http://www.coolrunning.com
http://www.halhigdon.com
http://www.running4women.com/
http://www.runnergirl.com/index.shtml
http://www.katherineswitzer.com/fitness.html
http://www.irongirl.com
http://www.marathonguide.com
The John Bingham site:
http://www.waddleon.com/
Jeff Galloway's site:
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

Pacing Calculator

Whew...8 miles today in 1:53:42 for a 14:12 pace (W3/R1 intervals) :banana:
I slowed down my Mon and Wed W3/R2 to a 14:30 pace which was MUCH more comfortable. I'll keep following MFM, but right now, I'm wondering if I should stick with W3/R1 for the half instead of bumping up to W3/R2.

Kathy...sounds like the shoulder is healing well. Congrats on your 6 miler! Yikes at the work schedule!

Lynnda...great pace!

Terri... :wizard: for your cold.

MelR...congrats on placing in your adventure race! Looks like you got some cool stuff! How many are on a team in one of those types of races? I've been around this week, but crazy busy...thanks for asking.

Lynne...great pace on your 8 miler! If you want, I can hook you up with an endocrine conference in Aspen in Jan. The meetings are from 7 to 10 then 3 to 6 to leave your afternoons free for skiing ;) .

Tiff...great pace on your 7 miler!

Pat...great pace on your 6-miler!

Kiena...you may have invented a whole new craze...frozen PowerBars! congrats on the sub-4 hours!

Cam...wtg on your 7-miler! Great pace! That migraine deal must be contagious...I woke up with one in the middle of the night. Got up to take ibuprofen 'cause I was worried about not being able to make my run :teeth:

Sunny...that gas stuff is scary! Sorry you couldn't get the radar to register, but I'm sure you were just going too fast for it to read your speed :teeth:

Lily...how was your 8 miler?

Jodi...congrats on your 8 miler! Bonus points for surviving 8 miles on the TM ;)

Lisa...happy belated birthday! Hope the knee's progressing well!

Krista...wow...you saved the day! How was your 4 miler?

Carrie...was it 16 miles this week? How's the hip?

Solo...is that why swimmers always spit in their goggles?

Well, I promise to never, ever doubt you big dogs again :dog: Since it was 8 miles today, I packed my waistpack (I use one from roadrunnersports.com that's fabulous) with a Clif Bar and two honey packets that I may have 'borrowed' from Artist's Palette at SSR last weekend :rolleyes1 I've been really leary of the gels due to the :crazy2: factor though the one that tastes like chocolate frosting sounded interesting. Anyway, I tried the honey at miles 4 and 6...WOW...what a difference! Maybe it's just placebo, but it really perked me up! I'm thinking one of those every 3 miles and I'll be able to run the full ;)

Good training everyone! According to the course map for the half, at 8 miles we've already run through MK ::MickeyMo

PACKET DANCE!! :dancer:

Maybe if we all dance, the packets will come!

chimera said:
PACKET DANCE!! :dancer:

Maybe if we all dance, the packets will come!

Wow, Mel, you are right on the ball this morning with the new thread! Great job on the 8 miles, what are these honey packs you speak of??

Here is my dance for the race packets :banana: (gotta love that banana), for mailing them out "the end of October", they sure are taking a long time to get here!

I am a little upset this morning, last night I called to put down my deposit for PORiverside and had the most unfriendly CM possible. I have reserved 5-9th and was going to cancel the 9th and "request" a late check out on the 8th (my flight is at 6:30 marathon day). Well, he almost flipped on me...."absolutely not, do you know how busy marathon weekend is..blah, blah, blah...".
I respond, "well can I request to pay the 50% of room rate to have the room until 3 p.m.", trying to joke with him a little, "showers are good...hard to check out at 3 a.m"....well no dice. He said that option would not be available either. He said I would need to keep the extra day and pay the $177 rack rate for Riverside. I never pay rack rate, so that kind of money for a moderate is hard to swallow. I must be going about this the wrong way.

Any advice?

Colleen

Mel- great job on your LR

Colleen-I would just call back & talk to someone else. If its one thing I've learned from this board is that you can get totally different info by calling back & talking to another CM

I dont know what I did to my foot yesterday but the top of it is killing me today. I am currently icing it(wow, my first injury to ice, does that make me a medium :dog: now :teeth: ) It hurts across the top when I walk & when you point & flex it.

Yesterday I had the cub scouts at my house & one of the little brothers was wearing his class t-shirt(you know each class has a different color for field trips & stuff) Well his was lime green and the type style for the school & class name was Disney type style. You cannot tell me that was a coincodence! I didnt say anything while he was here (for fear other dads would thinks me insane) but when he left I told DH- "I bet his teacher is a Diser!"

:dancer: Joining in the packet dance. This is driving me nuts. I want my packet.... I deserve my packet.....I NEED my packet!!!!!! All I keep getting in the mail is bills & catalogs :sad2:

I haven't been on this thread much (not on the boards much at all lately). I did my 6 miles yesterday of walking and wasn't looking forward to it. Once I finished I was so glad that I had gotten it finished and I felt great (after a shower). I really hope to finish this 1/2 in better time than last year along with not being in so much pain afterwards.

I need to find me a good fanny pack and socks. That is my next project.

We leave for Disney the Friday after Thanksgiving and won't be back until December 10th. I am already planning on getting my training in while at VWL as I can't afford not to.

I am ready for my packet too, maybe a lot of them will be delivered this week.

Colleen - sorry about your expierence!!!! As Bree has said before, how undisney!!

Tiff - I'll bet that you bruised the top of your foot with your shoelaces. They might have been tied to tight. I have done that before and OUCH!!! Someone else has had that prob and has posted on how to get it better more quickly, but I don't remember what they said.

Tammy - I posted a link last week to a really good hydration fanny pack at a good price. It was from REI outlet (either the ultimate direction solitare or the strider)

Mel - I want to join in the packet dance!!! :dancer: Do you think it will really work??

:dancer: :dancer: :dancer: PACKETS! PACKETS! PACKETS!

They have to come soon, darn it! It's driving me nuts! I want to pour over all the information again & again, commit it to memory so I can become more nauseated as the days wane on. I swear everytime I think about race morning my stomach does this :bounce:

Cam - congrats on training through your migraine. That takes fortitude & will make race day a breeze for the likes of you.

Sunny - I only wish I could have a Stonker like yours!

Congrats to all the terrific LRs this weekend. Hope the ailing are feeling better soon. It's been :cold: up here in CT, but today it's going to be 60...go figure.

More later, someone's calling my name upstairs...
Jodi

Training update--the knee feels less and less stiff (still has a sensation when bent all the way--but hey...bent is good!).

Did the elliptical yesterday at the hotel. Planned to do 72 minutes...but it was autoset for 60 minutes. So after that I got on the treadmill to finish and was walking at 3mph.

I'm ready to break loose for a jog!

Oh--and I do not like all the mirrors in the workout room, but they are good for something. I saw my quadricep working from the sideview while on elliptical. YEAH! It's baaacccckkkkk!

:)

MelRhoads said:
Colleen - sorry about your expierence!!!! As Bree has said before, how undisney!!

Tiff - I'll bet that you bruised the top of your foot with your shoelaces. They might have been tied to tight. I have done that before and OUCH!!! Someone else has had that prob and has posted on how to get it better more quickly, but I don't remember what they said.

Tammy - I posted a link last week to a really good hydration fanny pack at a good price. It was from REI outlet (either the ultimate direction solitare or the strider)

Mel - I want to join in the packet dance!!! :dancer: Do you think it will really work??

Thanks MelR-Thanks for the info. I went back to last weeks thread and found the link.

Can I get in on this too?? :dancer: :dancer: :dancer: PACKET DANCE!! I want my number!! I want to see all the merchandise that I don't need but will buy all of anyway!! I want to obsess more than I am already!!

Lesson learned from this morning's attempt at running: When the weather forecast calls for 35-50mph winds with gusts over 60... it's NOT a good day to run. It only took me one mile of doing a lot of work to get nowhere to realize this was not going to work today. So, I'll run Monday-Wednesday and then my long run of 16 miles :earseek: Friday. I know work will be a bear this week, so I really need to make training a priority now that we are only 8 weeks out. :banana:

In truly sad news, the weather forcast is calling for snowshowers here Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday!! :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: Help me get excited about the snow running, y'all! :guilty:

Better get to work-
Happy training!
Solotraveler :earsboy:

solotraveler said:
Lesson learned from this morning's attempt at running: When the weather forecast calls for 35-50mph winds with gusts over 60... it's NOT a good day to run.

:earseek:

ETA: I used :earboy2: when I meant to use :earseek: . OOPS!

I think I need some nutritional help. After the LR yesterday, I was absolutely ravenous all day. Just couldn't get enough to eat until we went out for frozen custard in the afternoon. Still hungry this morning and couldn't find anything that sounded good. What I really wanted was steak or a burger, but that wasn't readily available, so I ended up with toast with butter and jelly. I was trying to clean the kitchen later and felt really dizzy and broke out in a sweat. My arms and legs feel like lead.
I'm wondering if I'm not eating enough. I know we're not supposed to be trying to lose weight during training, but I'm afraid to eat more calories because I don't want to gain back the weight I have lost this year. Mostly after runs, I crave protein like crazy. Anyone else having this problem?

Colleen...the honey packets are those little rectangular things that they put out in restaurants for breakfast, kinda like the ketchup and mustard packets. MFM also mentions honey sticks which I've seen in the Stash Tea catalog that look pretty intriguing.
Honey Sticks

Solo...yikes...down here we call that kinda weather a tropical storm :umbrella:

How long was your LR, Mel?

I've had some ravenous days (not this season though, since I've been medically lazy ;)).

What the nutritionist told us was that you really need to eat something within 20 minutes to restore the glycogen that you used during your run.

So my first inclination is to ask you how long you are waiting to eat after your run?

I never did ask her why that was the optimum time--but I wonder if during that time, your body will replenish quickly from the foods you eat and then afterwards it just takes alot longer.

My 2nd inclination is to ask you how your nutrition is during the week? It is rather hard to make up all the calories you need to on the LR day--so you have to really watch and make sure you are getting plenty during the week. So today, your body is probably just still playing catch up.

HTH--on the way out the door though.

Hi Mel - I find if you ignore what you need after the long run, you will eat three times more than you should! I normally need something sugary at 3pm (my long runs normally finish at about 11.30) and if I don't have it, will then hoover up everything else in the house. Also, today's reaction could be linked to the honey which may have altered your sugar levels a bit afterwards - so you could be craving more than normal. I know someone suggested drinking chocolate milk afterwards - and that, or a protein shake, really do seem to help.

I did 16 miles this weekend, it was okay - around 12 miles was horrible and I wanted to cry but I just kind of told myself there was no point in whining, you can't whine on the day and still finish so suck it up and keep moving. Amazing how sounding like the scariest parent ever makes you keep going!!! I felt like Tom Hanks in that baseball movie - Crying - there's no crying in running!!!

Anyway, that's my lot today, got deadline on job I don't want to do so spose I"d better get started. Helen

littlegreydonkey said:
I felt like Tom Hanks in that baseball movie - Crying - there's no crying in running!!!

Helen,

Gotta remember that one on marathon day! :rotfl:

Mel,

Lisa is right, you need to eat right away after your long run, your body is looking for those carbs and protien. Sometimes I don't feel like eating, that is when I make a protien powder shake, but be sure to eat something within 20-45 minutes at the outside.

Also, be sure your food choices are high in fiber as well, that helps fill you up along with a lot of water. All this stuff you probably know, but sometimes I need to hear things over and over again.

Before long runs I drink a lot of water (8 oz per hour) and eat pretzels. I haven't been as ravenous after my runs and I am actually down 5 pounds this month. :banana:

Colleen

:cheer2: :cheer2: Hey guys, just wanted to check in and see how eveyone is!! Dh and I do are well, just trying to get in shape. Dh is running 12 min/mile, but he isn't doing very many of them yet. I am so proud that he is till pushing through even though I dropped. Keep up the good work and see you all soon!!

Hi everybody!

I survived my battle with cold/flu symtpoms yesterday (slept almost 12 hours last night :earseek: ).

Felt better today and went out and did a 6.5 mile walk. Went to a local track that has the rubbery surface (better for my quad). I finished the walk averaging 14:05 per mile. I was so happy. I really felt good afterward, too. I could of kept going, but didn't want to press my luck.

I'll go back to the bike and elliptical during the week and hit the track again next weekend.

Sounds like everyone is doing so well. Can't believe it's only 8 weeks away!

Terri

Went for a leisurely 3 mile walk today with DD2 to Green Lakes again. Was hoping it would be sunny enough to actually get pictures and have the lake green. By 1 pm it looked like it should be closer to dark. Hate these overcast days.

Have to get better about doing the training during the week. Next weekend is the 7 miler so have to get body rested and psyched for it. Also have to decide the best place to do it.

Have to get some additional work done or will not have time for training during the week.

Have a great training week.

Hello everybody! Great job on all the LRs and LWs! Come on packets! Come on packets! :cool1:

My hip is feeling dramatically better. I am still resting it, but the pain is almost gone. :flower:

Sorry I have been MIA for a few days. I am working like a :dog2: . That's okay. I just found out that I HAVE to go to Orlando for an all-expense paid conference in March. Me? Go to Orlando? For free? Life can be rough, can't it?! :banana: I tried not to bust out into a celebratory dance in my boss' office, but it was hard to control myself! :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter