Wk of Mar 2 - WISH Walking/Running Club

chimera

<font color=deeppink>WISH Racing Team Member<br><f
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we are a group of people who are planning to participate in walking/running events throughout the year. For most of us, the ultimate goal is to train and compete in the annual WDW Half/Full marathons. We'll also be posting news and training for various other events throughout the year. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us, whether you're training for an event or walking/running for fitness!

TigerLily03 said:
New WISH Team members. If you read one thing over and over, believe this. Being part of this team is fantastic. Part of the ride you get for the event is what I call the roller coaster. There will be lots of ups and downs. The more you post here, the more you will find yourself enjoying the ride. It is an incredible journey. Don't be afraid, shy or whatever to come here and just post up anything. You don't have to know us right away, or all of us at all. You will get to know some of us. It makes the event you are enjoying have MORE meaning and we love to have you.

WWDave's 2008 Miles and Minutes Team Threads:

Master Game Roster

Master Game Spreadsheet

Donald's Defiant Dashers Team Challenge

BUZZ's Brigade - TEAM CHALLENGE - POST MILES/HOURS HERE

Hakuna Matata Team Challenge Hours/Miles

Super Goofs Team 4 Miles Challenge

TEAM FIVE: Herc's Heroes--Post miles/hours here!

TEAM #6: OHANA-No One Gets Left Behind:Post your miles/hours here

Walt's Warriors (Team 7) Miles and Hours

Team 8 Jessica's Rabbits Bios and Info

Lightning's back! 3.1 miles today in 35:10 for an 11:21 pace :cool1: . I switched back to R4/W1 in an effort to get faster...seems to have helped!

Welcome Casey!

Shan...wtg on your 10-miler!

Carrie...I did read the Chi book last year. I found the forward lean helpful but really didn't incorporate many of the techniques. Got the book back out when y'all started talking about it. Can't wait to hear how you like the class!

Krista...b-day celebration sounds cool!

sorry to be brief tonight. We're up early in the morning. I'm taking Jeff and our neighbor up to the start of the Sarasota race at 5am, then back later with the kids to see the finish!

Hello WISH Team.

Team captains when you have your monthly totals done I'll gather the results to post on this thread and on the add/subtract thread. Of course anyone who wants to post the totals themselves can, monthly bragging rights so to speak. Thank y'all for being the captains and putting in the work. #Without y'all we wouldn't have teams.

Mel, thanks for keeping this thread going every week, it brings all the other stuff together. I try to keep up with everyone but it's hard to do.

Vic when do you want sign-ups for the Liberty Tree Dinner at ToT?

Anyone else doing the MNSSHP this year?

I think Robert is planning to host the Mini Golf competition, it was a lot of fun and there were cool prizes to.

After the ToT is over there will be beer and coolers at the Boardwalk Villa's pool. The cold beer was nice after last years hot humid race. Sleeping in the next day was also nice. Since we are unable to do the Minnie the ToT will be extra special for us.

Sretching Panda:hippie:

Shan - great job on the 10 miler! You always get a good sense of accomplishment when you do a double digit run. :thumbsup2

Tiger Lily - glad you are back up and with no staples!

Becky - I took about three weeks off, totally off, after the Goofy this year and just waited to start again until I really felt like I wanted to run. Like you, I am back at consistency, running less than 7 miles, 5 days a week and it feels pretty good. Mind you, I am not burning up the track with any speed, but I figure I have plenty of time to worry about pace later. Just taking it easy. :rolleyes1

jmasgat - I am addicted to the Sport Beans! The lemon-lime aren't the greatest for me and the cherry flavored ones make the medical personnel at races take a second look at you since they turn your mouth so red - orange are definitely the best. Good job on the 5 miles! :)

Stephanie - good for you! I have never volunteered for a race, but I probably should since I have experienced the benefits of so many volunteers at so many races.

Kristen - hope you are surviving the house full of girls for the weekend (10, 13-14 year old girls!). Bless you! I think keeping the house in one piece and the lack of sleep adequately qualifies for cross training this weekend!

Me - Well, I was supposed to run our monthly 5k last Friday. Emphasis on supposed to. I remember the alarm going off at 0500, I even remember turning off said alarm. I then sat on the edge of the cot thinking to myself "Okay, I need to get my ID card and reflective belt and then meet up with.......ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ" :faint: I was a little surprised when I awoke at 0715. Feeling moderately guilty, I got up and ran my own personal 5k around our compound perimeter and actually ran a PR at that distance - the guilt thing really worked! No t-shirt, but a PR - I will take it. :teeth: I am finishing off my training week tonight with an easy 6 miler and plan on not falling asleep prior to it!

Z

Good Morning Everyone-

I am enjoying all the running chat while I eat my bagel and mentally prepare for my race this morning. I feel completely unprepared for this race and so I am having to work hard at not being nervous.

The comical thing is that I have had multiple people call me and try to talk me into running the full this morning! There were no women in my age group running the full and there is an age group prize worth hurting for......I checked in with the race director before they shut down the expo yesterday and he had gotten a couple women to sign up. I actually thought about running the full just so I could finish 3rd in my age group! :scared1: I think I would have done it for a definate 1st. I think I will have to write both those women a thank you note!

Have a great day everyone!
Cecilia the still somewhat sane.

Hope it went well this morning for you Cecelia. :thumbsup2
I was out that way yesterday to take my daughter to an American Girl birthday party and saw some of the signs already up.

:surfweb: Good morning all!

I ran 4 miles yesterday! First time since the marathon. I'm not proud of what a slug I've become since the marathon and I'm really trying to up the mileage but the IT band has other ideas. So, slow and steady. Anyway, I'm trying. I also got in a yoga class yesterday so I'm not slacking on minutes, just the miles.

Cecilia: good luck today! Let us know how you did.

Z: sorry to hear you slept in but maybe that's what you needed. And :thumbsup2 on the PR when you did the 5K on your own! Awesome job.

WWDave: we may be doing the MNSSHP this year but won't know for a while. DD would like to run the ToT but she really hasn't done any training for anything in a long time. She'd like to go and if she does she wants to go to the party.

I'm off to the gym shortly then to the grocery store. I've got some work work to do today (there aren't enough hours in a day) so I have a jump on the week ahead. We are meeting heavy at work so there is no time for work! Go figure.

Happy training everyone!

Hi there. Long time no post. :wave:

Hurray! Finally! I can join the thread on a Sunday. Maybe now I can keep up on things.

I've been in a total and complete funk since Goofy. I think it was Neil Armstrong syndrome getting me down. But, I am now happy to report that I've found my groove and have a new goal ahead of me....

I'm going to try running!! I'm starting real, real slow. But, so far, so good. I'm currently doing 5W/1R intervals and find it's "too easy." After one more week at this pace, I'll switch to 4W/1R. I have a HM in 9 weeks (May 4) and my goal is to finish in 2:30. Stay tuned.

Boy it feels good to be back on this board. :cool1: Community and Budget were getting boring.

:goodvibes 2:01:18 :goodvibes

It was absolute perfect conditions for a race. Beautiful sunny day and temps started in the 40's and climbed to about 55 by the time I finished.

It was a gun start and I was polite and started mid pack. My garmin had me fiinishing a little over at 2:00 but heck, its a PR either way.

Now lets see everyone else getting out there today! Spring is almost here!

Cecilia

I hope it's okay to post this and that I'm not breaking any rules, but I did want to share this with my Disboard buddies and fellow walking and run/walk enthusiasts. My brother and I both carry the diagnosis of MS so I do the MS Walk every year, but there is a new (actually I think it's been around a couple of years now) "Challenge Walk" that is 30-50 miles over 2-3 days. In case you're interested or have friends who are, here's a link:

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/site/PageServer?pagename=HOM_EVENTS_ms_challenge_walk

It's a cause dear to our family for obvious reasons--plus I think the walks are just plain fun. It's inspiring to see folks with MS even doing the 1-mile walk.

I can't tell you how relieved I am to read that others have been sluggish since marathon weekend as well. I was a little sheepish coming back over here. I just got 3 miles in this am on the treadmill, felt really good.

Lara - Of course I remember you!! How did you end up doing for the half? Will you be at Minnie?

Cecilia - wow that is fast!! Way to go!

Becky

Kelley - So funny that you posted today. I was thinking about you yesterday and wondering where you'd been! DH and I were looking at a list of races to consider and Baltimore came up and I thought you'd done that one and wanted to see what you thought about it. The October date looked really inviting, and we really liked the area when we were there a couple of summers ago.

Cecilia - Way to go! :cool1:

Mel - Great job on your 3 miles. :woohoo:

Headed out to run errands and try to keep the household running for the next week.

Jackie

:goodvibes 2:21 :goodvibes

Just did the Sarasota Half Marathon today, and this is a new PR for me. Kinda like it! It's not quite as impressive as Cecelia's today (congrats!!!), but I beat my goal of 2:30. They had 'pace flag people' who ran with small flags of different paces they were running, so I made sure I was ahead of the 2:30 ladies at all times! They eerily reminded me of the Brazilian tour flag people at WDW (shudder)...:scared1:

Kelley - glad to see you here again.

Martha - good run. You're rights, slow and steady is a good way to get back into this. I hope your IT band is kinder to you going forward ;)

All praises to my DW Mel, who woke up with me this morning and dropped me and my neighbor off at the race start at 5am. You, rock, babe!

Have a great week, everyone.

- Jeff

Cecilia - Way to go! Great job.

Jackie - Yes, I've done Baltimore: the half in 2006 and the full in 2007. Both my PRs are there. (With only 2 fulls and 4 halves under my belt it seems funny to say I have PRs. :lmao: ) I'll be doing the Baltimore half in 2008 as a training day for (hopefully) Marine Corps Marathon on 10/26. I recommend Baltimore. If you have any specific questions, just ask.

Good afternoon WISHers!

Hoping everyone is having a wonderful Sunday. It's a gorgeous day today in NW Florida. Sunny and 72 degrees. Can't beat that with a stick. :banana:

No training to report as I'm being a big, fat, slacker.

Mel - WTG with the 3 miler.

Cecilia - WTG with the PR! :thumbsup2

Jeff - WTG with the PR! :thumbsup2

Y'all take care.

:)

Jeff

Good for you coming in so far under your goal. Stay ahead of that pace group. And yes, always big ups for Mel.

I shudder at the thought of the Brazilian tour groups. I had a ugly confrontation with them a couple of days after the marathon. Funny, I wouldn't just step aside and let 50 late teens/early 20's run past me because one of their group had wiggled in front of me. To say they didn't take it well is an understatement. No wonder people are unwilling to stop them from pulling all the BS they do in the parks. I did talk with a security guy about it later and he told me, "I know what you mean, they don't listen to me either."

Celia

Excellent result today. Will you be in the corrals for the WDW Half this coming January? I'm going to go sub-2 or collapse trying, and it sounds like you could be my pacer.

My training is coming along well. I did 7.5 miles just under 10 mpm Thursday, lifted and biked yesterday, and ran 4.75 easy today (with 1.25 thrown in at 8:20 per mile just for fun). As long as nothing breaks, tears off, or falls off, I'm feeling pretty good about the Minnie 15K in 63 days.

Best
Craig

Cecilia and Jeff--way to go! :cheer2: Good job on the PR's and strong runs and meeting goals.

I ran a 1/2 this morning, too...did a 2:18:59...so not really fast, but it is my 3rd best 1/2 (only 6 sec. slower than my 2nd best). It was warm (mid 60s), humid (about 80%) and miles 2-5 were directly into a 15 mph headwind. All rolling hills, too. Not to make excuses, but compare that to a cooler, drier day with an essentially downhill course for my faster two 1/2s, so I'm very happy with the outcome!

Better yet, I maintained pretty good pacing without dropping off towards the end like I usually do. So that is the real victory!

Big Vic...I did some running thinking of you, as I could feel a nice half-dollar sized blister forming on my foot by mile 4. :laughing:

Did a recovery swim afterwards...only 900 yds, but it felt good. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter