Windows from Lowes or Home Depot

squeaky_penguin

Mouseketeer
Anyone have experience with either place? We would like to have them installed too and would like to know your experience (customer service, quality of the windows....).

Thanks!

We used Pella windows that we ordered from Lowes. I don't know about their installation since we installed all 22 (yep, 22 :lmao:) windows ourselves, but DH did a lot of research and found that the Pella windows were made of better quality. Lowes was really good about ordering the windows we needed (our windows all had to be custom built because they were odd sizes :rolleyes1 )

Different areas have good and bad Lowes and Home Depots. I'd suggest going to each of them and see who answers your questions honestly. Ask them some basics that you know the answers to and see what they say. One guy at HD told us a bald face LIE, so we went to another HD. We just got a better vibe from the Lowe's guy, so we went back and kept ordering our windows as we needed them. Needless to say, Errol saw me during two pregnancies and continues to say hi to the kids whenever we're in there. HTH Good luck!

Home Depot was a complete nightmere for a family member. They brought the wrong windows, took out the exisiting windows and planned to leave her house --for several days--without replacing them when they discovered they had the wrong windows. They did not even offer to board up the windows. Family members ended up boarding up the windows. There were boarded up for several weeks while Home Depot tried to find the correct windows. Their installation team did not clean up after themselves, did not take care to not step all over the plants, etc. Obviously some mess and plant damage is going to happen, but this was extensive. Home Depot managment was not responsive to the many problems.

Home Depot was a complete nightmere for a family member. They brought the wrong windows, took out the exisiting windows and planned to leave her house --for several days--without replacing them when they discovered they had the wrong windows. They did not even offer to board up the windows. Family members ended up boarding up the windows. There were boarded up for several weeks while Home Depot tried to find the correct windows. Their installation team did not clean up after themselves, did not take care to not step all over the plants, etc. Obviously some mess and plant damage is going to happen, but this was extensive. Home Depot managment was not responsive to the many problems.

Perfect example of why its difficult to generically say Home Depot is better/worse than Lowe's. It really does depend on the specific location.

We had windows and a sliding door installed by Home Depot. They were WONDERFUL! Very thorough and didn't try to hard-sell anything. The installer assigned to our job (both HD and Lowe's use outside contractors, so you may get someone totally different than another customer) was very professional and neat; even asked for the vacuum to clean the rugs.

The after-installation service has been phenomenal. We replaced one window after diagnosing a problem with the original installation by the builder...the window leaked at the frame. When the new window installation didn't resolve the issue, Home Depot didn't say "sorry, not our problem". Nope...they told me when they replaced this window they "bought" the problem and will do whatever it takes to find and fix the leak. They've had to come back three times, doing water tests all up the side of the house to find out where its coming in. They've re-caulked other windows, re-installed shutters after caulking and added extra flashing...all at NO cost to me. They continue to be kind and polite and say "Call us if it leaks again and we'll be back".

I wouldn't hesitate to use Home Depot again.

We had Pella windows put in by Lowe's a few weeks ago and the windows are great. However the trim the installers used was unpainted wood, so we are going to have to paint the trim ourselves, which is really obnoxious. They also forgot to get the windows with privacy glass for the bathroom and we had to remind them repeatedly to order it. We're not thrilled with the install service, but they did it in a few hours and the price was pretty reasonable for Pella windows.

We had an absolute nightmare of a bathroom remodel with Home Depot, so Lowe's looks better than that, but overall, we'll never use a big box store for installation services again.

As a rule both of the big boxes contract out installation, so it can be a "luck of the draw" thing. Some stores are more dilligent than others in dismissing installers who draw complaints, but the screening process is not terribly rigorous and has more to do with meeting their insurance and licensing standards than providing evidence of skill, references from previous customers, etc. Over the years we've known some skilled professionals who loved doing installs for the big boxes because it is a steady stream of business with none of the selling and estimating, and we've known some who couldn't cut it in business for themselves because of poor work quality who turned to contract installations as a last resort.

When it comes to the windows themselves, we've been pleased. We bought a very old home last year and replacing the second floor windows was high priority before winter set in. We went with Pella through Lowes and couldn't have been happier; they came at a good price, arrived quickly, installed easily, are super-efficient, and look very nice. We're going with more expensive windows on the main floor because I want wood in a period style, but for standard replacement windows the ones we got from Lowes are just fine.

As a licensed General Contractor in NC, I can tell you that HD or Slowes will get you whoever they can to install the cheapest.

Order Pella windows as the M&W that Lowes sells are thin plastic. Will be brittle in the winter up there.

If you are replacing wooden sashed windows, think about doing it yourself. Super easy. 1 hr for the first, 20 min tops for every other one. My 2 man crew does a house(16 to 22) in about 4 to 5hrs.
Simple matter of removing inner stops and pulling out sashes and aluminum runner plates/springs. Scrape out trash, caulk the front flange and set it in. 4 to 6 screws. Caulk again, and a small trim. thats it.

Just ORDER RIGHT!!! Cant stress this enough. Right sized windows make the difference. Pull 1 out and measure, then reassemble to get a small gap as possible. 1/4 inch play helps install and is easily caulked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter