will they allow someone w/ a WLS card share plates?

Curious & Curiouser

Mouseketeer
Hey yall :lovestruc

i have kind of an odd question i'm hoping someone can help me with :confused3. Other wise i'll call disney myself but i really would hate to look like a fool.
So here goes nothing.....:rolleyes1
ok we booked a trip sept 10-21 2012 and to make DH happy we got the deluxe dining plan...well we always get it but we ALWAYS leave with unused credits. But DH likes to do the 2 credit dining sometimes so having the extra credits come in some what handy......

Soooo here is my issue: at the time of our trip i will be 10 - 11 months out from having gastric bypass, and as everyone knows you can only eat very small meals. I do know that after surgery i will be giving a medical card which i was told i could show at disney (and other rest) and will be allowed to eat off of kids menu or pay kids price at buffets. SO i am wondering if by showing my card they would allow me to eat a bite or 2 off of DH, DD's, or DS plate???????

if so wouldnt it make sense for us to drop down to basic dining, save me like $1,000! and just have me basicly nibble off others plates not using my dining credits and save them for the 2 credit dining????

man i hope im making sense lol :dance3:

so my question is will they let me nibble on my families plates at some places??

can anyone help me :sad2:

Most of the time you can share a meal (even if on DxDDP) at any of the non-buffet TS places. At a buffet, I believe if you sit down, you are charged, but it wouldn't hurt to call and ask.

At most regular TS restaurants (non-buffet), you can share plates within your own family as long as you are all on the same dining plan. That's even without a medical note. There are only a couple restaurants that reportedly do not allow plate sharing.
You could also always let your husband use your credits, while you order a small appetizer OOP for yourself.

Of course, given the small appetite... if you're not getting free dining, it would probably be the most cost effective to skip dining plans entirely, and pay OOP. An expensive meal for your husband, and a cheap meal for yourself, would likely be cheaper than any of the dining plans. Especially as you would also be paying adult prices for your 12-year-old.

i had GB several years ago and this is my experience:

I have never had an issue with sharing at WDW and I just tell them we're sharing...we don't get grief from anyone or have to explain. I DID want to order from the kids' menu at T-Rex and was told no until I told the server I had had the surgery and then it was ok.

I haven't tried it at the buffets....I'm kinda chicken to, actually. I just assume the answer is no and, therefore, we tend to avoid the buffet restaurants.

HTH.

btw, congrats on the surgery! Your life is gonna change so much!! Woooohooo!!

Even people who can't eat a single bite by mouth for medical reasons have reported time and time again that they've been charged regular price at fixed price restaurants. There have been a few reports of people being charged only an entertainment fee or not being charged at all when not eating a single bit but these are the exceptions rather than the rule and are few and far between. If you're just eating a smaller portion then expect to pay full price at fixed price restaurants.

For restaurants that aren't fixed price, what seems to happen is that Disney owned restaurants allow sharing no problem but non-Disney owned restaurants are hit and miss, especially when using dining plans. Via Napoli has had lots of reports of refusals to allow sharing when using a dining plan. Teppan Edo charges a plate splitting fee since they give each person a full portion of veggies and rice so you'll be paying some OOP.

i had GB several years ago and this is my experience:

I have never had an issue with sharing at WDW and I just tell them we're sharing...we don't get grief from anyone or have to explain. I DID want to order from the kids' menu at T-Rex and was told no until I told the server I had had the surgery and then it was ok.

I haven't tried it at the buffets....I'm kinda chicken to, actually. I just assume the answer is no and, therefore, we tend to avoid the buffet restaurants.

HTH.

btw, congrats on the surgery! Your life is gonna change so much!! Woooohooo!!

Thank you so much ! and WELCOME TO RED SOX NATION !!! LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter