Will Omicron mean lower visitor numbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Centopar

Dole Whip enthusiast
Are there any signs of people changing their behaviour thanks to the news about the new variant? Here in the UK there's been a definite scramble for booster injections, and it's clear from walking around in my city yesterday that more people are masking and distancing.

International flights to/from the UK to the US are still going, and we're keeping fingers crossed that they will continue to do so; our trip is booked to start in under two weeks. We've talked about it as a family and still feel comfortable going (with sensible precautions), but I'm wondering: as happened with Delta, are we going to see cancellations and a drop-off in visitor numbers?

I think the biggest concern is travel delays/testing/getting locked out. We don’t really know yet but if in two weeks time it looks more contagious and or as or more dangerous I would expect serious travel restrictions and precautions. I certainly wouldn’t want to risk international travel at the moment.

I agree that it's too early to tell. They are saying it will take about two weeks to know if it's more contagious or severe and how the current immunity we have from previous infection or vaccination will protect from being infected with Omicrom.
I’m pretty sure that’s a minimum, I mean they have been reevaluating delta vs alpha this whole time, and realistically it will take years. Two weeks is kind of like the absolute bare minimum to even have any data worth considering at all, as I understand it. Regardless we can be confident of an over correction and general draconian measures happening around the world if that first data looks bad.

I’ve noticed more resorts have opened up the week before Christmas. I was actually able to score a discount rate a few days ago due to more rooms available. Don’t know if this is due to people canceling or Disney opening more rooms.

I hope this won't become an excuse for them to avoid any new years eve fireworks etc....as far as I can tell nothing has been announced just hinted at by park hours and 630 fireworks......so this has definitely got me worried!

It will if restrictions on foreign travel is increased. Restrictions in flights to US and possible restrictions on return.

There will be some reduction if a vaccine requirement is placed for air travel...more if it applies to those over 5.

From what I've been reading in the news, UK and US are restricting flights *from specific affected countries in Africa but that's about it. I read UK is doing straight to quarantine in govt mandated hotels.

*edited to add.

Last edited:
From what I've been reading in the news, UK and US are restricting flights but that's about it. I read UK is doing straight to quarantine in govt mandated hotels.

Not exactly. I'm in the UK and am flying out to Orlando next week. We've restricted travel from affected countries in the southern half of Africa, and residents returning from there have to quarantine. We can still travel to the US without flight restrictions, and you guys can still travel here.

Before we can travel to the US, we have to be double-jabbed (I am also boosted, but my husband's interval since his last vaccine is not long enough yet) and tested. On our return we have to self-isolate - at home, not in a hotel - until we get negative PCR test results back.

Not exactly. I'm in the UK and am flying out to Orlando next week. We've restricted travel from affected countries in the southern half of Africa, and residents returning from there have to quarantine. We can still travel to the US without flight restrictions, and you guys can still travel here.

Before we can travel to the US, we have to be double-jabbed (I am also boosted, but my husband's interval since his last vaccine is not long enough yet) and tested. On our return we have to self-isolate - at home, not in a hotel - until we get negative PCR test results back.

Sorry, I meant to include the part that they were restricting travel from the specific African countries, not in general.

It will if restrictions on foreign travel is increased. Restrictions in flights to US and possible restrictions on return.

There will be some reduction if a vaccine requirement is placed for air travel...more if it applies to those over 5.
Looks like there could be a 7 day quarantine requirement slapped on incoming travelers:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/11/30/omicron-stricter-travel-rules-us-entry/
In addition, they are debating a controversial proposal to require all travelers, including U.S. citizens, to self-quarantine for seven days,

If true that should effectively end international visitors to WDW again. Who is going to want to come to Florida and quarantine for 7 days before they can enter Disney World?

Definitely not from people living here.

Everything I’ve read coming out of SA and from scientists and doctors I respect and follow is that most cases are actually less mild then the usual mild and to stop freaking out everyone, making decisions without any real facts. Could easily google what the doctors on the ground are saying but that’s not surprising cause ratings equals $$$ with these large media outlets. I’m not concerned at all. Won’t affect any trip I have planned.

I’d be more concerned of being stuck if leaving the country to come here internationally, but then again I don’t know how many international travelers have been coming to Disney lately anyway. That might make a small dent but I’d assume the overwhelming majority going to Disney this holiday season are domestic travelers.

Last edited:
Looks like there could be a 7 day quarantine requirement slapped on incoming travelers:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/11/30/omicron-stricter-travel-rules-us-entry/

If true that should effectively end international visitors to WDW again. Who is going to want to come to Florida and quarantine for 7 days before they can enter Disney World?

I am in the UK but in the fortunate position of having a job which requires me to have subscriptions to a lot of US newspapers, so I've been poring over this this morning. Lordy. It looks like they're discussing three possible new restrictions:
  • Making vaccinated people coming to the US test one day before travel rather than three (it appears that this is something they are definitely doing)
  • Making new arrivals to the US test two days after arrival (still being debated)
  • Making new arrivals to the US self-quarantine for seven days after arrival (still being debated)
Apparently Thursday is the latest the decision will be announced.

My hope is that they'll go for a middle ground and stop at the test-two-days-later option; a quarantine would be incredibly disruptive not just for tourism, but also for business travellers and those visiting family. It's going to be a nervous 24 hours waiting for the announcement - if the quarantine is introduced, our trip next week will be delayed until the Easter school holidays and I'm going to have some very sad kids on my hands.

Definitely not from people living here.

Everything I’ve read coming out of SA and from scientists and doctors I respect and follow is that most cases are actually less mild then the usual mild and to stop freaking out everyone, making decisions without any real facts. Could easily google what the doctors on the ground are saying but that’s not surprising cause ratings equals $$$ with these large media outlets. I’m not concerned at all. Won’t affect any trip I have planned.

I’d be more concerned of being stuck if leaving the country to come here internationally, but then again I don’t know how many international travelers have been coming to Disney lately anyway. That might make a small dent but I’d assume the overwhelming majority going to Disney this holiday season are domestic travelers.

I agree with this. Not concerned at all. Locally I don't know anyone concerned and people got concerned with Delta pretty quick last time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter