Will dogs be allowed at a DVC resort??

Hope they don't allow dogs to be left alone in the room and glad I am not a housekeeper.
They are providing hang tags for the door knob so no one opens the door while you are gone from the room and your dog is still there.

I will argue that allowing service dogs (beyond being required by law) is a different thing entirely anyway.

When a pet owner undergoes multiple weeks of partnership training and understands their animal to be a $20k asset charged with protecting their well-being, their care and management of that partner animal is at a different level than you see with most pet owners. If every pet owner met the standard that fully trained service animal partners are held to, it would be a different thing. Allergies are still an issue, but every other behavioral and poop concern? Nope.

Good Lord, I hope not. Why? Why not make Copper Creek?

I guess it's just because of the whole home-iness vibe of OKW and I was initially thinking that it may be easier to block off a couple buildings as "pet friendly" buildings. Hopefully, that way fewer people might be listening to the barking dogs in the same building. And maybe it would be easier than at some other resorts to have "relief" areas-but come to think of it, maybe not. Now note I said I PREDICT, not I HOPE. We're OKW-lovers, and I have mixed feelings on this. Frankly, I'm not so sure-our dues would probably go up, for one thing.

Luv my dog and all dogs, probably more then people as a matter of fact However really do not want to stay on vacation with the dog. Our dog is great and has a rather large crate that is her safe place. She even goes in it to just chill after a long fetch and chase session. I usually do the chasing LOL she is a sweetheart but needs a lot of TLC and run time. And as much as cleaning can do I can always tell when a dog is in a house. I can imagine the people with allergy issues.

Find it hard to believe they would allow you to keep dog alone in room for up to 7 hours. We do take the dog for overnights when daughter has a meet but even the chain hotels and I can recommend Staybridge Suites, they do not allow you to leave dog in room unattended.

Anyway I did not see any DVC hotel listed, well FW sort of and while I luv my dog, A Louisiana Catahoula Spotted dog but frankly if it is a vacation we leave her at home and it helps to have a great kennel where she can run so we are very fortunate.

Most high end hotels allow dogs these days. Never had a problem with cleanliness or otherwise. It makes a ton of sense on a business level and I’m glad to see this change. My only concern with DVC would be the infrequent cleanings. That will become an allergy and odor issue.
Disney is allowing guests to leave their dogs in the room, when the guests leave to spend the day at a park. The rule is that the dogs can be left for up to 7 hours. But since there isn't any way to enforce that rule, guests can effectively leave their dog all day.

What "high end hotel" allows that?

Four Seasons and Kimpton are the only I’ve used personally with a dog but I know there are more and more. I personally would not fly a pet ever unless it were an emergency. But many people do. I have used DLR kennel before and its just a cage ( like a vets office) that you visit a few times a day to relieve your pet in a run. And that’s cruel for too long or for many days. Period. I have no intention of taking my dog to WDW but having taken dogs to other resorts and hotels and still being able to book a decent place was great. The dog who stayed in hotels is now pretty atrthritic (15 year’s old) so we leave her with sitters in her comfy home. Our other dogs were huge and so we always got them sitters. BUT one day, when my kids don’t need me so much and are in their teen years, I’ll get another dog (how I survived the first time) and be glad that many businesses have adapted to the reality that dogs are family if not children to a good chunk of their clientele and that its mutually beneficial to cater to or at least accommodate those folks.

Disney is not taking on an experiment. This has been done in many nice hotels and clearly the profit outweighs the risk.

But again, @CaliAdventurer , at those hotels are you allowed to leave your dog for hours. What is essentially all day?

I have also stayed at hotels that allowed pets. But there was a size restriction and breed restrictions. AND you could not leave the pet in the room alone. Not for a minute, not even once. There were also pet floors.

Disney isn't even requiring shot records to be on file. Which means that guests can have their un-vaccinated pet in the room, and if that pet bites someone, only then will people find out that the last rabies shot was 5 years ago.

Four Seasons and Kimpton are the only I’ve used personally with a dog but I know there are more and more. I personally would not fly a pet ever unless it were an emergency. But many people do. I have used DLR kennel before and its just a cage ( like a vets office) that you visit a few times a day to relieve your pet in a run. And that’s cruel for too long or for many days. Period. I have no intention of taking my dog to WDW but having taken dogs to other resorts and hotels and still being able to book a decent place was great. The dog who stayed in hotels is now pretty atrthritic (15 year’s old) so we leave her with sitters in her comfy home. Our other dogs were huge and so we always got them sitters. BUT one day, when my kids don’t need me so much and are in their teen years, I’ll get another dog (how I survived the first time) and be glad that many businesses have adapted to the reality that dogs are family if not children to a good chunk of their clientele and that its mutually beneficial to cater to or at least accommodate those folks.

Disney is not taking on an experiment. This has been done in many nice hotels and clearly the profit outweighs the risk.
I'm not sure about Kimpton but neither Lowes or the Four Seasons that allow pets (not all do) allow them in the room unsupervised from what I've seen.

I don’t know fans of anything quite like Disney/Parks fans who complain, lament, deride and second guess every.single.change and decision. I’m sure Disney has it figured out. I’m sure it’ll be fine. Just like Pandora, just like Magic Bands, just like DVC prices, just like the shampoo bottles, just like Riviera will be... the same thing on every outlet about everything. So don’t bring a dog, so stay at one of the 20 other resorts. Personally, I’ve never wanted to take a dog anywhere more in my life than the Yacht Club at this very moment.

Found this post (by CuteAsMinnie) over on the Resorts Board - https://www.disboards.com/threads/trial-run-for-dogs-in-resort-rooms.3640424/page-4#post-58324762

Oh My, Folks! Relax!!!!!

Since everyone already has jumped to conclusions, pre-judged, etc.....

I CALLED the number provided in OFFICIAL announcement and a CM read the OFFICIAL transcript of the release. So easy to do.

-Designated Rooms ONLY in designated section of specific resorts ONLY
-Designated walking paths ONLY
-MUST be LEASHED at all times
-NO Public spaces
-NO roaming around resorts
-NO Restaurants
-NO Bars
-NO Pools
-Owners MUST present vaccination documentation
-Resorts were chosen based on their size and layout.

My guess, dear DISsers, is you probably could enjoy your Disney vacation within the bubble everyone has grown to love and will never see the furry creatures in their own little corner of the World.

FWIW, taking a dog to Disney doesn't sound like much fun for either dog or owner. YMMV.

I can’t wait for the first dog owner to say I paid $xxxx amount, I have every right to bring him into a restaurant.....

I’ve seen this more and more at restaurants, bars, and grocery stores where dogs are not allowed by law, but the owners think it is okay because it is a family member.

I really hope DVC stays clear from this. I am a huge dog lover but in no way want to vacation with anyone else's dogs in a room next to mine. A 30 minute response time is ridiculous - you can't even make an ADR in 90 sometimes.

Are we going to get the choice to stay in a room that has not had dogs previously? We all know that the level of housekeeping required to clean up dog hair is going to absolutely slow down check ins for the next inhabitant.

Please tell me we can tell DVC we don't want this in our buildings and they'll listen.

IMO there are ways to do this at resorts with sufficient rooms to block off. Resorts with multiple booking categories would be difficult, resort with large number and fewer categories would be more workable like SSR & OKW and they would also be more workable from a design setup as well. Maintenance would be more, a lot more, but if they used the charges to cover the expenses, it'd be OK. The 30 minute requirement isn't workable using the bus system but it remains to be seen whether they'd enforce it with additional fees.

I don’t know fans of anything quite like Disney/Parks fans who complain, lament, deride and second guess every.single.change and decision. I’m sure Disney has it figured out. I’m sure it’ll be fine. Just like Pandora, just like Magic Bands, just like DVC prices, just like the shampoo bottles, just like Riviera will be... the same thing on every outlet about everything. So don’t bring a dog, so stay at one of the 20 other resorts. Personally, I’ve never wanted to take a dog anywhere more in my life than the Yacht Club at this very moment.

LOVE THIS!!!! As you can see by my tag line we have four retired racing Greyhounds and I dare say are better behaved than some human kids we encountered at Disney world this past week!

As I read on another thread concerning dogs at resorts, someone said they will report every noise from a dog, dogs in not designated areas etc. instead of replying to it I just rolled my eyes. I listen to noise from guests (adults and children all the time and to me dogs are just not that much louder than adults yelling at each other or kids screaming!)

My guess is that dog rooms will be on the first floor in the rear corner of the resort away from the lobby, rooms that seldom get booked. The rooms will be all hard flooring adjacent to the dog park/lawn area. Disney gets the positive PR for being dog friendly while filling empty rooms and there might be people who will now vacation at Disney because they do not want to leave their loved ones at home.

I don't see DVC becoming dog friendly.

:earsboy: Bill

We would sell our DVC if Disney changed this midstream on us. Too many allergy problems in our family to worry with the possibility of an allergic reaction on vacation. Not to mention the increase in dues for upkeep - definitely not something we would have signed a contract for!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter