Will Disney Sail a near Half Empty Ship?

zymurgy1999

Mouseketeer
Out of curiosity I counted the number of available cabins on the Fantasy sailing on December 21st. I know that this is not scientific, but by my count there are approximately 550+ available cabins for booking. I looked online and there are 1250 cabins on the ship. Assuming they book some of those cabins through last minute bookings, would they sail that ship at nearly half capacity (I mean there are almost 20 concierge rooms available, which is where they make pretty substantial bucks).

Anyone know what they usually do in these types of situations?

Out of curiosity I counted the number of available cabins on the Fantasy sailing on December 21st. I know that this is not scientific, but by my count there are approximately 550+ available cabins for booking. I looked online and there are 1250 cabins on the ship. Assuming they book some of those cabins through last minute bookings, would they sail that ship at nearly half capacity (I mean there are almost 20 concierge rooms available, which is where they make pretty substantial bucks).

Anyone know what they usually do in these types of situations?
There are reservations that do not have room assigned at this time (guarantee reservations). So there's really no way of knowing how many of those rooms are actually already "filled".

If a cruise isn't selling well, Disney will offer last minute restricted fares (or other discounted fares) until they fill the empty spaces.

No, they will not sail half-empty. Airlines or hotels might give up, but not the cruise lines. The opportunity cost of an empty 7-night cabin is much greater than a flight seat or a hotel room. This is during school holidays, so it will fill up - one way or the other.

They will come up with a way to sell the rooms. Even if they didn’t they wouldnt cancel. Somehow cruise ships manage to sail at full or near full capacity. This applys to alll ships not just Disney.

The Fantasy is sailing on Dec 22nd and there aren't many cabins open. I didn't see any concierge cabins available.

Are you looking at 2018 or 2019? The Fantasy cruises on Dec. 22nd this year (next month) and as PP mentions there are no concierge rooms available. The Fantasy departs on Dec. 21, 2019 and there is plenty of time to fill those rooms. ;)

Enjoy your cruise!

Are you looking at 2018 or 2019? The Fantasy cruises on Dec. 22nd this year (next month) and as PP mentions there are no concierge rooms available. The Fantasy departs on Dec. 21, 2019 and there is plenty of time to fill those rooms. ;)

Enjoy your cruise!
I thought she was talking about this year. Yes it's way to early for a 2019 Dec cruise to be full. I guess OP was under the assumption that the cruise would sell out quickly. Caribbean cruises don't sell out quickly anymore. They usually end up being discounted, but boy Hawaii sure sold out quickly. I vote for more Hawaii cruises.

That is over a year off - the ship will fill up in plenty of time.

However when it comes close and the ship is not full, they start booking TA's, CM's other others on wait lists. They get really cheap cruises as a perk. They can almost always fill cabins with those lists.

Any recommended places to go and get the discount prices for last minute travel? How close to get the best deals?

Any recommended places to go and get the discount prices for last minute travel? How close to get the best deals?

Deals - if any - will only be offered by Disney. Timing is at their discretion. But be aware those fares must be paid in full at the time of booking and are non-refundable.

the ship will stay in port and the crew gets a paid vacation

sound likely?
Not at all, they have contracts with ports that they have to be out of port by a certain day and time and to come to each port by a certain day and time barring weather or other technical issues and a sailing that isn't full wouldn't qualify as a technical issue.

There are also technical reasons why cruise ships don't generally stay in port overnight, usually if they are going to be in the same port two days in a row, they leave and come back, some of this has to do with safety.

We stayed overnight in Puerto Rico in the mid 2000's. Ship never left port.

We were on the Fantasy, 9/8 to 9/15/18. Late in the week we were told the ship was about 1000 people light. There were quite a few open tables in the ADRs for the late seating. That worked out well for us as our first table in AP was at the corner of an isle and near the bus station. EVERYONE that walked by bumped into my wife's' chair. The service staff was not that great either... This was lunch on embarkation day. At dinner, we asked to be moved and were given a great table with GREAT service people.

I'm convinced Disney will let a resort sit half full rather than sell their Deluxes at $200 / night anymore. Generally cruise lines set sail at a loss and make that up with alcohol sales and gambling, although at Disney I suppose it's some sort of Dessert party at sea.

They give huge deals to FL Residents that are Passholdersw and DVC Members. My wife and I got to cruise last year for $78 a night p/p Ocean View Balcony because we were able to get on the shipin 48 hours.

We got a half price GTY at 90 days sailing for 2 staterooms this past June, as my daughter is a Cast member. Had to pay in full at 90 days. Assigned staterooms. Paid about $5600, 3 adults & 2 children. Has reservations for next June, same AK cruise, cost over $11k.

We were on the Fantasy, 9/8 to 9/15/18. Late in the week we were told the ship was about 1000 people light. There were quite a few open tables in the ADRs for the late seating. That worked out well for us as our first table in AP was at the corner of an isle and near the bus station. EVERYONE that walked by bumped into my wife's' chair. The service staff was not that great either... This was lunch on embarkation day. At dinner, we asked to be moved and were given a great table with GREAT service people.

Embarkation day lunch is not the same assigned seating as it is for dinner neither is your waitstaff.

Embarkation day lunch is not the same assigned seating as it is for dinner neither is your waitstaff.
In our case it was the same seating and staff. When we realized they were going to seat us at the same table for dinner we asked to be moved. Our table number and location was changed for AP. Table 1 became the new table 21.

In our case it was the same seating and staff. When we realized they were going to seat us at the same table for dinner we asked to be moved. Our table number and location was changed for AP. Table 1 became the new table 21.

Ok. Usually seating at lunch is first come first seated and isn't on a chart since anyone can eat in the MDR for lunch not just the people assigned there for the evening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter