Will dining plans be returning?

Dining plans have been a big winner for Disney for a long time. There's no way they're not brining them back once the operating conditions return to some level of normalcy. This might be a good time for them to think about revamping the system, so there's no guarantee that what they'll offer is going to be exactly comparable to what has been offered in the past, but Disney tends to be averse to radical changes.

Personally I'd like to see more flexibility, such as flexibility in the number and types of credits you can buy in your package or some type of points system where you buy a certain number of points and different types of meals cost different amounts of points. But those are more significant departures than I'd expect they're willing to make.

My boldest prediction - off-site guests will have access to a limited version of dining plans via MDE when dining plans return, likely in the form of pre-purchased counter service credits that can be redeemed via in-app mobile order.

My biggest complaint with the dining plans is that we always end up with extra QS credits and a ton of snack credits. We are almost always converting the QS to snacks, and then running around the last day like crazy buying snacks to bring home. I would rather have the option of getting more TS instead. I like the idea of flexibility in buying dining packages. It seems that before the pandemic they did improve slightly in offering more options for the basic dining plan.

My biggest complaint with the dining plans is that we always end up with extra QS credits and a ton of snack credits. We are almost always converting the QS to snacks, and then running around the last day like crazy buying snacks to bring home. I would rather have the option of getting more TS instead. I like the idea of flexibility in buying dining packages. It seems that before the pandemic they did improve slightly in offering more options for the basic dining plan.
We always got the regular DDP, 1 TS, 1 QS, and snacks. If anything, we ran out of TS because we tend to eat Signature. We used our QS for breakfast most of the time. We would use our snacks along with buying cold cuts and bread for lunches, or for water. We were booked Club Level at the Polynesian in June 2020, and we figured that the extra food would make up the difference. That trip was cancelled. After looking at all options, we decided to book the deluxe dining plan for July 2021, until we found out that dining plans are suspended. When we went to Disneyland in April 2019, we had a hard time budgeting for meals, and cut it too close for comfort. I'm not looking forward to budgeting for meals in Summer 2021 without the dining plan.

We always got the regular DDP, 1 TS, 1 QS, and snacks. If anything, we ran out of TS because we tend to eat Signature. We used our QS for breakfast most of the time. We would use our snacks along with buying cold cuts and bread for lunches, or for water. We were booked Club Level at the Polynesian in June 2020, and we figured that the extra food would make up the difference. That trip was cancelled. After looking at all options, we decided to book the deluxe dining plan for July 2021, until we found out that dining plans are suspended. When we went to Disneyland in April 2019, we had a hard time budgeting for meals, and cut it too close for comfort. I'm not looking forward to budgeting for meals in Summer 2021 without the dining plan.

Yup. We don't even eat signature but we always ran out of TS and each trip had to pay for at least one, if not two TS even though we were on the dining plan. What we would often do is eat a late breakfast at Crystal Palace, Tusker House, or Akershus at around 10:30. That gave us time to get to the parks early and ride some favorites before the lines got too long. Then we'd stop and eat a nice TS breakfast. But then, we would not be hungry for lunch so would not use a QS. Then we would very often schedule yet another TS for dinner. So some days we'd end up with two TS and no QS. Sometimes we'd use our QS for dinner, but there were so many other TS options we liked, we often opted for TS instead. I had considered the deluxe plan, but that seemed like too much. We need something that allows for two TS on some days, but not all days.

ETA: We are going in December and in looking at my dining reservations, I am not looking forward to the sticker shock. We are scheduling a lot of our lunches as TS in the resorts, especially on Magic Kingdom days since the QS options are so slim at this point.

Now that we know with the ending of DME and DL AP with only vague promises of a replacements, that it is clear to me that Disney is using this time to do major changes., does this change anyone's opinion if DDP will return unscathed, what changes are likely or if it might be abandoned altogether.

I have begun to think differently now that the bean counters are clearly in the drivers seat

My guess is that there will be significant changes, including potentially moving away from a fixed cost. to a prepaid discount for onsite guests. I think that giving a longer reservation window as part of these packages may be the stronger incentive than economic value, so Disney will feel comfortable with essentially dramatically reducing economic value of DDP (as they have been in small steps for years) to increase net margin.

I’m so surprised that they did away wit this profit center
I do not think they had a choice during covid due to distancing limitations, they could not sell more TS seats than they had available

I do think it is telling that they a have not brought back a QS and snack only plan which does not have those issues

“I have begun to think differently now that the bean counters are clearly in the drivers seat”

I don’t know what corporation doesn’t have bean counters in the drivers seat at all times. And that’s how it should be, or there is no way a company could remain in business and make a profit for stock holders. I know the dining plan is a big money maker for Disney so I believe it will return. Even their website says “ not available temporarily”.

Probably like many, we have take a wait and see approach to a late 2021 trip, but at this point I’m about to write it off. But I guess whatever they do will have the same impact in 22’ so...

Me too. We use the DDP every year and love to have it pre-paid- whether that means we get too much food or not. I know that I wouldn't be eating $50 steaks every night if I had to pay that at the time. I am quite "ok" with paying in advance. It's a choice that we make well in advance and are very happy to do so. So from one of the "suckers" - I am glad it is an option.
FYI - it's my 2 cents but yes, it's coming back and my guess is that we will see it for 2021 - it is Disney's most popular and lucrative add on.
I am a travel agent. I have had many clients and friends who have used the dining plan and ended up with leftover meals or too many desserts or snacks they threw away or never used or they didn't eat higher priced meals, instead used dining credits on qs breakfast or similar which didn't make the most of the plan. Also not everyone drinks alcohol they lost out when they subbed for a drink that was $10-$15 less... Yet they love the convenience of having everything prepaid for like a cruise.

I have recommended to many clients, family and friends, (even though i would lose commission on the DP portion) and that is to purchase a Disney gift card in the same amount as the dining plan you would choose. Make your reservations as you would normally do. Plan out your family allocations as you would in the dining plan. Go about your days and eat what you would in the dining plan...Except if you don't want that snack or decide not to eat an expensive menu item or skip dessert, you can, without any pressure of getting the most of the DP or worry about the use or lose. By all means, get the alcohol drink or special kids drink that would normally get with the meal if you want to...

Now either you can just use the card for every meal & snack or add it to your account and everyone can charge on your magicband or app like you would with DP.

By doing it this way you are not obligated to the dining plan as allocated. Its much more flexible and yet still paid for and included in your vacation budget and you can still order what you want. But, at the end of your trip you can see exactly what you spend on food & what you mostly order & eat during your trip.

Here's the nice part, in my experience more often than not, you find you spent less than what the DP would have cost and will have a balance leftover!
No wasted food but more importantly you didn't throw money away you can use elsewhere. That unexpected extra can be used toward your room charges or buy that merchandise item you wanted. You can also just save it for next time.

At the least, If your total at end of your trip was same or more than the cost of the DP you know it works for you and worth adding on the next time. If you still prefer the DP then the next time you can adjust which plan works best based on your experience.
As a tip: you can buy discounted GCs at warehouse clubs or with target red debit or credit card which saves even more.
Just my 2 cents based on experience for anyone interested! 😁

Last edited:
I have never and will never advocate putting hundreds of dollars on a gift card. Do you (and I don’t mean any specific you, just you in general) have any idea how often folks are left w a cancelled/modified trip with much needed funds locked into a gift card you can’t use? Can’t exactly repair the car w a Disney gift card.

if you can afford to have that much money locked up, and you so choose, enjoy. For everyone else, just consider what happens if you can’t go. Or you go but get sick and don’t spend even half? Or have to leave early?

as always, ymmv, but be extremely cautious before hopping on the gc bandwagon

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter