Will blue card 150 points requirement increase soon?

PrincessKL

Mouseketeer
Does anyone think DVC will change the direct purchase of 150 points requirement for blue card policy any time next year? I think it has been a while since the increase to 150 points. Would it go up any time soon?

I am thinking about buying a 150 points direct contract before the price increases on December 4. Does it make sense to buy now because of the cheaper price per point and in fear of the increase of 150 points restriction for blue card? My rational mind has been telling me that this does not make sense because we are really not saving that much money by buying now and we can wait for Poly 2 which would be brand new. But my emotional mind tells me that I really want to have a blue card and I don’t want to buy any more than 150 points.

My crystal ball say "NO"! But, it's known to be wrong on many occasions, you get what you paid for. YMMV!

In all seriousness, I would doubt it, with the way the economy is going right now, but that's up for debate. Me personally, I would wait for Poly2 if that's what you really want as Home Resort.

Great3

Last edited:
I would wait for Poly 2.0 if that's what you really want as a home resort. It's probably going on sale spring of 2024 for a late 2024 opening, like Riviera, based on their projected timelines. Who knows about construction/Disney delays. They bumped the minimum from 75 to 100 around 2019, I believe, and then jacked it up again to the current 150. That's a big leap in only two years. Heading into a recession/slowdown with a bad fiscal quarter, turmoil with Iger/Chapek stuff -- I'd be surprised if they push 200 in the next year or so. Only thing that may change it is DLT, if demand is still crazy and they think they can force the issue.

Does anyone think DVC will change the direct purchase of 150 points requirement for blue card policy any time next year? I think it has been a while since the increase to 150 points. Would it go up any time soon?

I am thinking about buying a 150 points direct contract before the price increases on December 4. Does it make sense to buy now because of the cheaper price per point and in fear of the increase of 150 points restriction for blue card? My rational mind has been telling me that this does not make sense because we are really not saving that much money by buying now and we can wait for Poly 2 which would be brand new. But my emotional mind tells me that I really want to have a blue card and I don’t want to buy any more than 150 points.
I think the DVC goal was to get new people to have at least 150 points so they could get something other than a studio room.

I think the 150 minimum now in place is likely to stay around at that level as it is a good amount of points for a typical vacation for most families.

Plus, the minimum isn’t really set because of the blue card..DVC always had a minimum long before there was such a difference.

I wouldn't put it past Disney to have tiered DVC.

150 points -> minimum for Blue Card, and Membership Extras (like AP availability, discounts)
500 points -> minimum for Enhanced Membership Extras (free park tickets when staying on property, free gifts, free parties)

150 is already a big hurdle, and it should be fine in the Poly2 chart. It might even work better than VGF2 if they throw in some tower studios, as is the current trend.

I think DVC is going to keep hiking prices, but not the 150 points.

If they hike the 150, I would guess closer to DLT opening. Now seems pretty random. I don't think they will bump it for Poly2, but I can see bumping it for DLT, which should have a bananas chart.

If I were buying direct, I would be waiting for Poly2 for sure. It could really be the jewel of DVC. As construction progresses, there will be permits and declarations and all kinds of stuff. We will at least have floorplans and information about the scale of the project long before we know pricing and charts.

Last edited:

150 points -> minimum for Blue Card, and Membership Extras (like AP availability, discounts)
500 points -> minimum for Enhanced Membership Extras (free park tickets when staying on property, free gifts, free parties)
Most likely wont happen now that Cheapnak is gone.

All I have been able to get regarding Poly2 is eight stories and at least one restaurant...nothing juicy. I am persistent though LOL!

Personal opinion is 150 will stay for the time being. There are definitely less guests in the parks which means less bodies for DVC.

LOL, good one. DVC couldn't be bothered to offer a $50 discount on the Incredipass. Zero chance of free tickets.
Zero chance at DVC ever getting free tickets again, for sure. They can’t even get AP guaranteed anymore.

WDW is all about additional revenue streams now, so DVC perks have turned away from freebees in favor of giving the ability to purchase something exclusive, like the $140 Bound to be Bad event at BLT or the $160 Pizzerizzo Party at HS.

I think the 150 minimum now in place is likely to stay around at that level as it is a good amount of points for a typical vacation for most families.

Plus, the minimum isn’t really set because of the blue card..DVC always had a minimum long before there was such a difference.
Agreed. They are trying to get more people to buy direct. If they hike the minimum for the blue card, they hurt themselves.

If they guaranteed free park tickets in the contract, not some perk they can take away if they felt like it, I'd buy up to that level tomorrow. Pre-paying hotel AND park tickets at today's prices for 3 or 4 decades? Sign me up. Would be amazing, which is why it would never happen.

I think they would keep it at 150. While some of these could be add ons, the mix for Riviera in the last month is in the ballpark of

33%- 150 points
7%- 150-200 pts
35%- 200 pts
25%- 200+ pts

Raising the minimum to 200 would probably be a negative on overall sales as you would likely lose a majority of those buying in at 150 pts.

Membership extra's are not guaranteed. They would just end it a couple years later.
Not saying it is an extra.

What says they couldn't make an addendum; no reason it couldn't be. If it is passed at the yearly meeting no reason it couldn't be a modification to DVDs contracts.

If they guaranteed free park tickets in the contract, not some perk they can take away if they felt like it, I'd buy up to that level tomorrow. Pre-paying hotel AND park tickets at today's prices for 3 or 4 decades? Sign me up. Would be amazing, which is why it would never happen.

And if I understand the timeshare law correctly, they can’t put something like that into the contract, because they would fall under the topic of incidental benefits.

But, the biggest reason is that DVD can’t guarantee something they don’t sell…

Not saying it is an extra.

What says they couldn't make an addendum; no reason it couldn't be. If it is passed at the yearly meeting no reason it couldn't be a modification to DVDs contracts.

Timeshare law is pretty clear on incidental benefits and how they can and can’t not be offered.

It is why the contracts are worded the way they are and how DVD has the ability to offer them to whomever they want because the current law is structured that way.

Dues can only be used to pay for operating expenses, taxes, and capital reserves at the resort and park tickets have nothing to do with the operation of the resort.

Plus, as I mentioned above, DVD can’t include to guarantee something in the contract that they themselves don’t sell.

It’s why our contracts say that if parks cease to exist it doesn’t change what you are buying.

In my very limited knowledge of DVC direct points and the blue card, but working in finance and watching the market and economy quite closely, I cannot see a scenario where the number of points goes up for a blue card. Sure, inflation is relatively high, but Disney can easily price that in via the price per point rather than the points required for the blue card. Additionally, the Fed is looking at data in the rear view mirror and may overcorrect monetary policy, sending the economy into a deeper recession than necessary. If that happens, those buying 150 points direct may not automatically spend the additional $10,000 for the 200 points if that’s what Disney decides it will take to get a blue card.

While I do believe Disney is one of the most recession-proof companies outside of perhaps alcohol and tobacco (those companies may have different types of business pressures, but are not necessarily subject to the same economic cycle as others,) I don’t see them being stupid and raising prices by 33% when the economy is facing a slowdown.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter