Wildfires in Canada

NJ here - last night we were 426 - right now we're a comfortable "unhealthy" 175.

It's been awful!

I'm in the western MA/CT area and things have improved a bit here. You can't smell the smoke so much anymore, at least. We're still 167/Unhealthy and it's very hazy.

Ten miles west of nyc, it’s only 212 now, it was 426 yesterday the last time I checked. On our local Facebook page someone mentioned cvs has kn95 masks in stock (which is recommended) and most replied they would never wear a mask again, masks don‘t protect you from smoke. They are handing out a million masks in Manhattan.

This is how round two of "Masks don't work" gets around. :sad2: Getting info from Facebook is not wise.

It isn't just SMOKE in the air. The air wasn't orange around NYC due to just smoke. Wildfire smoke has ash, pollutants and small airborne particles in it.

According to the EPA.gov site: (YES, a governmental site, which therefore must have some conspiracies against us. :rolleyes: ) and the NY Times:

https://www.epa.gov/sites/default/files/2018-11/documents/respiratory_protection-no-niosh-5081.pdf

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/07/us/masks-wildfire-smoke-air-quality.html

"But beware, not all masks work equally well. A surgical mask, scarf or bandanna won’t do much to keep you from breathing in pollutants.
Instead, use N95 face masks, which filter 95 percent of airborne particles, or respirator masks, which you can find in hardware stores or online. Make sure to cover both your nose and mouth."​
"Choose a “particulate respirator” that has​
been tested and approved by the National​
Institute of Occupational Safety and Health​
(NIOSH). It will have the words “NIOSH” and​
either “N95” or “P100” printed on it."​

Artificial Intelligence isn't what is going to harm or kill us as a society. It is the dissemination of incorrect, stupid, non-researched information by human idiots from mouth to mouth, person to person (which is already happening,) that is going to do mankind in.

I have to wonder if this isn't Darwin's Law in play. While the survival of the fittest isn't about Intelligence, it's adaptability, having enough intelligence to get well-researched, correct information and then adapt accordingly, rather than being spoon-fed idiotic **** via another stupid idiot, is what will keep people alive.

At some point, we can't save idiotic people from themselves or each other.

Last edited:
This is how round two of "Masks don't work" gets around. :sad2: Getting info from Facebook is not wise.

It isn't just SMOKE in the air. The air wasn't orange around NYC due to just smoke. Wildfire smoke has ash, pollutants and small airborne particles in it.

According to the EPA.gov site: (YES, a governmental site, which therefore must have some conspiracies against us. :rolleyes: ) and the NY Times:

https://www.epa.gov/sites/default/files/2018-11/documents/respiratory_protection-no-niosh-5081.pdf

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/07/us/masks-wildfire-smoke-air-quality.html

"But beware, not all masks work equally well. A surgical mask, scarf or bandanna won’t do much to keep you from breathing in pollutants.
Instead, use N95 face masks, which filter 95 percent of airborne particles, or respirator masks, which you can find in hardware stores or online. Make sure to cover both your nose and mouth."​
"Choose a “particulate respirator” that has​
been tested and approved by the National​
Institute of Occupational Safety and Health​
(NIOSH). It will have the words “NIOSH” and​
either “N95” or “P100” printed on it."​

Artificial Intelligence isn't what is going to harm or kill us as a society. It is the dissemination of incorrect, stupid, non-researched information by human idiots from mouth to mouth, person to person (which is already happening,) that is going to do mankind in.

I have to wonder if this isn't Darwin's Law in play. While the survival of the fittest isn't about Intelligence, it's adaptability, having enough intelligence to get well-researched, correct information and then adapt accordingly, rather than being spoon-fed idiotic **** via another stupid idiot, is what will keep people alive.

At some point, we can't save idiotic people from themselves or each other.
Unfortunately a lot of people lost trust in the authorities during Covid.

Unfortunately a lot of people lost trust in the authorities during Covid.

Unfortunately many people think that the experts are always right. They are not. They will make the right call 6 or 7 times out of 10. They will often make the wrong call. Still I put my faith in someone who makes the right call 6 out of 10 times versus listening to some crackpot on the internet who only makes the right call 4 out of 10 times.

An educated guess is usually more accurate than a wild guess.

Last edited:
heh, many of us on the West Coast conveniently had N95 masks at home before COVID even started for just this reason.

Some of us artists had N95 masks too before COVID due to the particulate matter we don't want to breathe in that are in some art materials we work with.

On the way home, I stopped by one of the places here handing out some free masks to use against all the orange smoke here. It's expected to last until Saturday. I was given 3 packs of 5 masks. I'll definitely have a use for all the extras after this smoke is over. :rolleyes1 ;) :artist: Although the news said the wildfires in Canada may continue on and off throughout the summer. :(

In other news, we are heading to Toronto-Ottawa-MOntreal-QUebec and on to Nova Scotia from July 6. SPoke to one of our hotels in Halifax, and they said we should still come!

Anyone have any insight how this is affecting air travel? I heard something briefly on the radio about flight disruptions, but it didn't go into much detail. I feel really sorry for the workers that are out on the tarmac in this. We are supposed to fly through Newark on Saturday.
Yes, airports are/were affected. Several planes delayed or grounded for poor visibility. I hope the winds will change soon, it was awful today. Smells like sitting on top of campfire nonstop and permeates everything. Thinking of all the wild animals and the firefighters in Canada - must be terrible. I hope they can get a handle on this with international help.

Although the news said the wildfires in Canada may continue on and off throughout the summer. :(
Wildfires DO burn in Canada, all over the place, between the months of April and September, every single year. No one will read this study (tldr :laughing:) but just a quick scroll to look at the graphs and charts is interesting for data compiled for the period of 1959 - 1997.
https://sites.ualberta.ca/~flanniga/publications/2003 Stocks et al. J Geophys Res - Large forest fires.pdf

This is even worse today in Montreal than last time, I hope the winds don’t shift like the last time. We have the worst air quality in the world right now.
Just a heads up
Well I now have a air purifie, which just went up to almost 500, have some long hots with olive oil roasting in the toaster oven.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter