Wilderness Lodge Mess

I realllly hope this question hasn't been asked buuuuut...

My husband and I are staying at WL in a Woods View room Sept 1-4. We won't be using the pool at all (just not pool people I guess) so I was wondering how impacted we'll be by the refurbishments. Is it strictly the pool area being impacted? Thanks in advance!:goodvibes

They are completely rebuilding the children's splash pool. They are also supposed to be resurfacing the main pool. I've read some information about them putting a zero entry in for the main pool, but haven't seen that confirmed by any other source. They are adding a fence and rebuilding the sidewalk around the outside. The Trout Bar will be closed during the refurb, too. I think that once the fence is in you will see less people at the WL pool. I've always suspected that the resorts in the MK area get a lot fo pool visitors who don't belong there. And people have reported overhearing people at the pools admit that they don't belong there.
During our last trip we overheard a man at the pool talking to someone on his cell about how the highway traffic was bad on the way home from work so he pulled off the highway and "dropped" by the WL pool. My guess is this happens very frequently at all the resorts that don't have the fence you have to "swipe" to get thru to a pool. I'll be happy if the future work done to resort pools includes a plan to reduce/eliminate open access to "pool crashers"!

I realllly hope this question hasn't been asked buuuuut... My husband and I are staying at WL in a Woods View room Sept 1-4. We won't be using the pool at all (just not pool people I guess) so I was wondering how impacted we'll be by the refurbishments. Is it strictly the pool area being impacted? Thanks in advance!:goodvibes
you won't see it or hear it from a woods view room since those are on the other sides of the buildings. And it is possible that they don 't start it right away. You'll have to walk past the construction area to go to the boat dock or the beach.

Can anyone confirm the water park ticket is definitely being given to all lodgers during the pool closure? Was hoping to take advantage of that but I'm reading contradictory opinions.

Can anyone confirm the water park ticket is definitely being given to all lodgers during the pool closure? Was hoping to take advantage of that but I'm reading contradictory opinions.

Yes, and for now it's length of stay for everyone listed for that room.

goofy4tink,

Please let member satisfaction know about your dissatisfaction. I'm in the same boat (planned a special stay for 6 adults for a friend's 60th) and have protested (probably too loudly for some) on these boards. There's not a lot Member Satisfaction can do but you never know. For me, they have set more than the normal maximum number of waitlists to try to get me moved over to a different resort. I've already rented out some of my extra points and booked the Ritz for a couple of nights but am keeping my fingers crossed they will be able to get me moved over. So far, we've got a 2 BR. We just need a studio now. There may be other things they can do but it is nevertheless important for those who do believe they could have handled this better to let them know.

stlrod
I would but it's my friend's points...she doesn't seem as inclined to do anything. She really wants to be at VWL...so it's her call. Ah well....it's better than being at home I guess!!!

During our last trip we overheard a man at the pool talking to someone on his cell about how the highway traffic was bad on the way home from work so he pulled off the highway and "dropped" by the WL pool. My guess is this happens very frequently at all the resorts that don't have the fence you have to "swipe" to get thru to a pool. I'll be happy if the future work done to resort pools includes a plan to reduce/eliminate open access to "pool crashers"!

FWIW, the pool fence doesn't keep out anyone but the honestly unaware (i.e., someone who didn't realize you can't pool hop). We were at AoA twice this year, and everyone just holds the gate open for people - or walks over to open it if someone's band 'isn't working.' I saw tons of people who were clearly staying at Pop walking over to use the Nemo pool without any problem. (If Disney wanted to stop pool hopping, they could just put an $8/hour CM at the gate to police it.)

First off, I am a hypocrite because I said I "quit" the disboards in May after a thread I was on got out of control...but I am posting to give some WL info I got today.

I emailed Guest Relations with my concerns about the WL rehab. We are staying 11/17-11/22 and had booked a courtyard view with free dining program. A CM called me back three times (phone tag) and I spoke with him today.

He stated that the work on the pool was adding a fence, resurfacing the main pool and removing the kid's pool and adding a splash pad. He said it was a "significant" construction and would "impact the courtyard view dramatically" and there would be construction noise from 8am-4pm daily.

Long story short, though our visit is at the scheduled end of the construction, we know that the interior stream upgrade/rehab took longer. He offered to move us to a woods view, thereby removing the courtyard view cost, and since "you are chosing to stay at Wilderness Lodge", he also gave me a $75 credit per night, which came off of the total I owed, so I was happy with that.

Now, it's a gamble...the construction could be done by November 17, but I did not want to take a gamble. He seemed to suggest that the barriers would be "fairly high" around the construction zone, as there would be "significant" construction. I do not want to look at that, even though we barely spend any time in the room, plus I like the woods.

I've read some people received $50 a night, so I am just letting you know I received $75 a night credit. I wrote a pretty well-worded, but friendly email and the CM called me.

Though I am disappointed that the construction is taking place, I understand the importance of upgrading and doing PM work on a major property. I am sure when I see the tree in the lobby, all will be good. I wish everyone a good trip!!!

Thank you for the info . I too wrote a letter and received the $50/night credit. I just don't like when you tell them and provide proof of what others received ( which happened to me ) that they won't acknowledge it and make the same accommodation . Honestly, it's as if they believe that the info won't get out ! I also think everyone on this board especially has been truthful and played fair by not stating CM names etc. does it really matter that much to Disney if they credit someone an extra $25.00 to make it fair? I was unable to move to a less expensive view b/c they were all sold out a couple of weeks ago - so I'm still paying for a courtyard view for my 11/14 trip!

I am also staying there on Saturday September 20 then heading out on my first DCL on sunday and then returning thursday before heading home on 27th, but I have friends staying at the poly and there pool is closed and they free blizzard beach tickets for their troubles and I get to go over to a full pool at Contempory.

I am also staying there on Saturday September 20 then heading out on my first DCL on sunday and then returning thursday before heading home on 27th, but I have friends staying at the poly and there pool is closed and they free blizzard beach tickets for their troubles and I get to go over to a full pool at Contempory.

The Poly is going through a heck of a lot more than the WL.

Thank you for the info . I too wrote a letter and received the $50/night credit. I just don't like when you tell them and provide proof of what others received ( which happened to me ) that they won't acknowledge it and make the same accommodation . Honestly, it's as if they believe that the info won't get out ! I also think everyone on this board especially has been truthful and played fair by not stating CM names etc. does it really matter that much to Disney if they credit someone an extra $25.00 to make it fair? I was unable to move to a less expensive view b/c they were all sold out a couple of weeks ago - so I'm still paying for a courtyard view for my 11/14 trip!

I was fully expecting to get the $50 a night that others have received...right off the bat, he said he had "several options" for me and asked me if I planned to stay at WL or move elsewhere. When I stated I wanted to stay, that is when he asked if I wanted to be moved to Woods view or stay in courtyard, and I stated I'd move to Woods view, so he refunded my courtyard upgrade and offered the $75 a night credit. He was very pleasant, but I had the impression that he is dealing with disgruntled WL guests all day....I, too, assumed the Woods View were all sold out (as a matter of fact, on the website they ARE sold out), so I honestly am not sure how he swung that! If you're still in courtyard, they should allow you to stay and refund you the cost of it! I am thinking now people are bailing on WL the more the news is getting out at how big the construction will be and how high the barricades will be. It sounds like the whole courtyard will be one hot mess of debris, jackhammers, etc...but maybe I am wrong. Fences have to go into the concrete decking area, that is a jackhammer job right there.

Gosh, watch I show up on the 17th and there is NO ROOM for me...:rotfl2: alot of good the $75 credit will do!!! This is my big birthday trip!:crazy2:

I can tell you that the change showed up within like 10 minutes on my reservation page, so this guy was good...he also left 3 messages previously for me, him, and not random CMs, so maybe I lucked out?

I just gave up a woods view room last night at the lodge. I can see rooms coming back into inventory frequently. I looked on their site and it had woods view listed still.

Yes, and for now it's length of stay for everyone listed for that room.

Are they being offered at check in, or does one need to call and make a request of guest services in advance? Also, is it only for BB, or are TL tickets offered as well?

I finally got DD to call and ask for the $50 credit. It took a bit to get to Guest Services. The very polite and helpful CM Told DD that she had the option to move or to stay and use the pool at Contemporary or Fort Wilderness. Nothing about BB tickets. DD said that she knew of a $50 credit. She was once again put on hold. When she got through to GS they had no problem giving her the credit. She asked about an upgrade to a bunkbed room insted (roughly same price) however there were not any available.

We have WL reservations 8/29 - 9/26. We have a woods view bunk room and have decided that we want to stay at WL (we swim all summer so swimming isn't a big part of our vacation). We are disappointed that we will not get the full effect of the WL and had we known when we booked may well have selected a different resort. Would we still be eligible for a credit? We aren't interested in water park tickets, the kids (2&4) are too young for water parks and we already have a jam packed itinerary for our first WDW trip.

We have WL reservations 8/29 - 9/26. We have a woods view bunk room and have decided that we want to stay at WL (we swim all summer so swimming isn't a big part of our vacation). We are disappointed that we will not get the full effect of the WL and had we known when we booked may well have selected a different resort. Would we still be eligible for a credit? We aren't interested in water park tickets, the kids (2&4) are too young for water parks and we already have a jam packed itinerary for our first WDW trip.

It's not a guaranteed credit, it's just something they are giving to a (seemingly) large percentage of people who call. It's DEFINITELY worth calling! We wanted to stay at WL, as well. But my husband called and first asked them to switch is to another MK resort (which we would have taken if there was any availability, since the others are monorail resorts that we have never stayed at). There was no availability, so he just said " you gotta give me something to work with here, to sell my wife on staying here!" And that is when they offered the $50 per night discount. My DH was very pleasant, and it was an easy call. I've read that some people have more trouble and have to push harder thought

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter