Wild Rabbit - strange behavior

Zandy595

DIS Veteran<br><font color=green>The other day I f
There's a rabbit that has been living on our front lawn in one spot for at least a week now. There's no shelter at all, just short grass. We have a small front yard where cars go by quite often about 20 ft from where this rabbit has taken up residence. The neighbors have 3 yappy dogs that walk by it several times a day and it never moves, the dogs/people don't see it. I can walk right up to it and it just stares at me and stays right where it is. It stays in that same place all day long and oddly, leaves for a little while around 1:30pm everyday. I just watched it hop a few feet away to eat some weeds. Not sure where it is now, but I would bet money that it'll be back soon to sit in it's little dent in the grass for the rest of the day.
I called the local wildlife hospital and they said there is definitely something wrong with it if it stays out in the open for so long during daylight. They said if I can catch it to bring it to them, but did not offer to come out. I haven't decided what to do yet.

Anyone an expert on rabbits and can tell me why it's doing this? I thought maybe it was going to have babies, but it doesn't seem like a very good place to do it.

I daresay you aren't the first woman concerned with her hare staying in place.;)

Is it possiblly "nesting" getting ready to give birth? :confused3 I know they have babies 3 or 4 times a year

If you do try to capture the bunny, wear gloves, dont risk being bitten.. it may have rabies.. :scared:

There may be a nest nearby. Mother rabbits usually only visit the nest a couple of times a day to nurse. They stay close but don't want to draw attention to the babies so they don't usually spend much time at the nest. If she has babies and you relocate the mother the babies will starve.

I would just leave it alone. My sister had a rabbit do the same thing in her front yard. As a PP said, it was because her babies were nearby.

There may be a nest nearby. Mother rabbits usually only visit the nest a couple of times a day to nurse. They stay close but don't want to draw attention to the babies so they don't usually spend much time at the nest. If she has babies and you relocate the mother the babies will starve.
That's exactly what the lady from the wildlife hospital told me.

I would just leave it alone. My sister had a rabbit do the same thing in her front yard. As a PP said, it was because her babies were nearby.
That's good to know. I'll just let it be then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!