Why?

I think I don't like the laugh smiley options when you like a post! :D

If I'm not posting anything funny, yet you laugh at it, say why, please!

I'm curious.

Honestly, what people? Original poster?

Who? Who are you speaking of? On this thread?

I see people having discussions on different aspects of why it's so serious, not that it isn't. 😕

It’s pretty evident in some other threads. Not the op per se, but plenty of people think this an overreaction. And plenty of people seem to think that they know more than those who have spent a lifetime studying disease. I’m a naturally questioning person, but I know when to accept the expertise of others.

I’ve learned that you can’t change the opinion of 100% population. You just have to get the message out to as many people as you can. To those still unwilling to accept, you just ignore them like a dangerous driver on the road or the coworker who doesn’t wash hands after using the stall.
Sadly, these decisions to accept the message are not without severe hits to our economy and to people's mental health, to name just a few. With all the focus on this latest "bogey man" we are ignoring other real problems (again), such as homelessness. The actions being asked of the country are not without consequences.

Sadly, these decisions to accept the message are not without severe hits to our economy and to people's mental health, to name just a few. With all the focus on this latest "bogey man" we are ignoring other real problems (again), such as homelessness. The actions being asked of the country are not without consequences.

Well if we had not refused the WHO tests then we would have a better data to make better decisions and not nearly as much would’ve needed to close in the name of public safety. Unfortunately public health officials had to make decisions without testing. Wasting very valuable containment time at great economic cost

If the viral spread hits a homeless community or a 3rd world country, where there are less(er) medical care, the morbidity and fatality rates will shoot up guaranteed. We need to get a handle before it affects vulnerable populations. The doctors here are already talking about moving all patients out of SNFs and ALFs.

There you have it folks.
France is now entirely locked down, except essential businesses like groceries and pharmacies. Just like Italy.
I am predicting Spain will be next within 48 hours.

But, to some, maybe this is still unnecessary.

I will wholeheartedly agree that the mortality percentages are completely unreliable in the US (well, everywhere, really, but especially here), because not at all enough testing has been done, BUT...
that's the whole reason for the drastic control measures. We don't have reliable data on how fast it spreads, how long it hides, or why certain people are more severely affected, so we have to revert to medieval methods to buy time.

In this day and age we are accustomed to being able to access all the knowledge in the world very quickly, and it is really hard to wrap our heads around the existence of a true medical "dead zone" in data terms for an illness that looks so much like the flu to a layman. But you know, the cover is not the book, and we have to deal with the reality that what is inside *is* something new, and therefore truly unprecedented in human existence.

Speaking of medical "dead zones", have you ever heard of the "sweating sickness", aka "the English Sweat"? It's one of the great epidemiological mysteries of all time. It's a disease that letter and diaries of the time tell us was very common in Europe back in the 15th-16th centuries, and it had horrific mortality. Then, about 140 years after it was first documented, it apparently just ... disappeared. No one now knows exactly what disease it was, or if it still is lying dormant somewhere, though there are some researchers who have presented fairly compelling evidence that it may have been a variant on what we now call Hantavirus. Still, that theory isn't proof, and it is likely that science may never know the true answer -- which again, is hard to wrap one's modern brain around.

Last edited:
I mentioned this in the planning covid-19 thread but this thread is probably more appropriate, but we have to realize that if the measures we are taking (which I fully support) are not helping, then we have to come to terms with the fact that we have a new virus that a lot of people will catch until we have a production vaccine. But I do believe that it will prove to be not be as deadly to the general population as the initial numbers show. So 99.2% of the those that get it will survive. Really we cannot keep everything shutdown for months for an overall fatality ratio of less than 1%. Call me callous or whatever but we have to realize we are not special. We are biological creatures with a finite lifespan. We have come a long way as a species, but it is possible that we could all be wiped out by disease. Yes, it is easier for me to say because I am of the age where it is no deadlier than the seasonal flu, but ultimately the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. We cannot shut down modern life indefinitely there has to be a limit where we decide to pull the plug and drive on.

In future planning we need to decide under what circumstances it is vital that we shut everything down and for how long. These are not easy decisions, but we have to be realistic. We are not special among Earth's living creatures.

That's my opinion, I value yours.

I mentioned this in the planning covid-19 thread but this thread is probably more appropriate, but we have to realize that if the measures we are taking (which I fully support) are not helping, then we have to come to terms with the fact that we have a new virus that a lot of people will catch until we have a production vaccine. But I do believe that it will prove to be not be as deadly to the general population as the initial numbers show. So 99.2% of the those that get it will survive. Really we cannot keep everything shutdown for months for an overall fatality ratio of less than 1%. Call me callous or whatever but we have to realize we are not special. We are biological creatures with a finite lifespan. We have come a long way as a species, but it is possible that we could all be wiped out by disease. Yes, it is easier for me to say because I am of the age where it is no deadlier than the seasonal flu, but ultimately the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. We cannot shut down modern life indefinitely there has to be a limit where we decide to pull the plug and drive on.

In future planning we need to decide under what circumstances it is vital that we shut everything down and for how long. These are not easy decisions, but we have to be realistic. We are not special among Earth's living creatures.

You've missed the point...it's already been stated several times in this thread why we're doing these drastic measures

The goal is no longer about stopping the spread until there is a vaccine, but about slowing the spread. Slowing the spread would not only lessen the burden on hospitals, but would also give doctor's more time to study the virus and develop more effective ways of treating it. These measures should hopefuly lower the overall mortality rate.

Wow. Ok then. Not sure what your age range is, but let's assume that you are 30-40 years old AND that this illness kills that age range in the 14% range (as it currently is with older people). I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be so cavalier. It's astounding that this attitude gets expressed.

You've missed the point...it's already been stated several times in this thread why we're doing these drastic measures

I understand that and support the short term actions, but I also see people saying we need to do this for months. That is unrealistic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter