Why would you buy from DVC with resale prices so good?

We bought resale and had a great experience. Whether you buy Disney or resale, if you finance I think you would do best to get a home equity loan. I think some people are getting close to prime rate now.

:confused:

We are offered $79 a point for SSR as well. Did anyone else get it for $74. Have to call up my DVC guide tomorrow since we didn't sign the contract yet. :smooth:

My wife and I have been discussing this quite a bit this week and as for our home resort we are both agreed that the Beach
Club is what we prefer. SSR is interesting with some of the features (the 50 years which I initially didn't think applied to us but as we have a 10 year old daughter this would be a nice gift/legacy/inheritance for her), however we have grave concerns about its proximity to the noise from Pleasure Island and Downtown Disney at night. As everyone's mantra seems to be "Buy where you want to stay" that probably precludes SSR.
I think a home equity/line of credit is what we'd end up using. Unfortunately in Canada we can't write off any interest on our income tax. Only good thing is the Canadian "peso" is rising very slowly against the U.S. dollar :p
Cheers,
Grumbo

Originally posted by poohstx
Originally posted by Caskbill

SSR at $74 with no closing, and 50 years, comes out to $370/year.

Caskbill - I thought the current cost for SSR was $89 - $10 = $79. I would love it if they were really $74.

I know Caskbill just misspoke (his tongue was covering his eye tooth and he couldn't see what he was saying! ;) ).

What he meant was:

250 points at SSR at $79 with no closing, and 50 years, comes out to $395 per year. (Still lower than the same calculation for a resale.)

SSR points are $89 but, with the pre-construction sales incentive currently offered, can be purchased for $79 per point. Even at the full $89 per point, the annualized cost for SSR would be $445 per year. The extra years do make a difference. :)

Enjoy!

Originally posted by Grumbo
however we have grave concerns about its proximity to the noise from Pleasure Island and Downtown Disney at night. As everyone's mantra seems to be "Buy where you want to stay" that probably precludes SSR.

Well, I don't know that I necessarily agree with that concern. Saying that you're worried about the "noise" from Pleasure Island is, IMO, comparable to saying that one doesn't want to buy BCV or BWV because of the "noise" from Illuminations at Epcot each night. I don't see this as a situation where you'll have 30 thousand people partying at PI until all hours, keeping up the guests staying at SSR. You may even get more noise at BCV being across the lake from the boardwalk.

It's my assumption that the 4 lakeside buildings at SSR will be the choice buildings once the property is fully developed. The remaining 8 buildings, currently classified as "proposed construction", are set back quite a ways from the waterside.

I have a laundry list of reasons why we chose SSR over a resale at another property. Heading that list are the $10 pp incentive currently being offered and the 50 year contracts. Among my other reasons are:

- No payments, no interest on purchase until resort opens. The earliest we would be traveling is September '04. Magical Beginnings might have been an option, but it's nice to know that we will be getting our Feb '04 points and the special pricing.

- I like the fact that SSR is a dedicated DVC resort. Based upon my two stays at OKW on rented points, I think the staff at that resort does a WONDERFUL job of making its guests really feel at home. I've read a lot of reports of lesser treatment at the resorts that have standard resort rooms in addition to the DVC component, mainly because the staff can't tell a DVC member from a non-DVC member.

- I like the fact that SSR will have a food court instead of a sit-down restaurant. As a father of two small children (2 1/2 and 4 mos) we rarely find time to have a "nice" meal. We will often dine in our DVC resort room, but honestly I prefer a food court to a sit-down restaurant when we don't want to cook.

- Other plusses: Full spa facilities. Golf course proximity. Lower point cost than most other DVC resorts. Grand Villas (even if they are pricey).

And, above all else, I know that we can always do a resale add-on later if we want to buy into BCV or some other resort. The promotional pricing on SSR will be gone in another month. The option to go the resale route will always be there.

Tim

I guess our concern was piqued when we saw one of the photos of the construction with Cirque du Soleil building in the background. It's proximity gave us the idea that it was susceptible to the noise from PI. I stand to be corrected on that.
I've stayed at the Yacht Club in a room with balcony overlooking the water and the noise there wasn't a problem but it was a few years ago and things "may" be a bit noisier now.
Please don't think I'm putting down ANYONE's decision about where they bought. I was merely verbalizing our discussion and perception of the little we know.
I guess the problem is until SSR is complete none of us will truly know what the decibel level will be :) By then I'm sure the price will be up.
As for a food court as opposed to sit down I couldn't agree more. We would make quick lunches, breakfast and such in the unit but to pick a burger, pizza or whatever suits us much better. For those times we want to eat a bit more formally or nicer no lack of choices in the area thats for sure :)
Cheers,
Grumbo

Originally posted by Grumbo
I guess our concern was piqued when we saw one of the photos of the construction with Cirque du Soleil building in the background. It's proximity gave us the idea that it was susceptible to the noise from PI. I stand to be corrected on that.

The construction photos can be a bit deceiving, as the Cirque building is well over 1/4 mile across the lake. As one who has posted some of those construction photos, I'll accept blame for allowing that impression. I included Cirque in the photo just for a location reference, but you cannot discern distance from the photo.

DVC employed accoustical engineers in the design for the SSR buildings. As noted, only the first four buildings will have any effect from the DD area. The buildings have been positioned and constructed to minimize any noise that might make it's way across the lake. The patio doors reportedly will have a special glass to minimize sounds also. The only time this will be any issue will be at the midnight New Year's Eve celebration- which lasts about 10 minutes and is somewhat insulated from the SSR site by the buildings at PI. It will also depend somewhat on the wind direction at that time.

Enjoy!

It will also depend somewhat on the wind direction at that time.

Being a married man I know how that can change all kinds of things in your life :)

Thanks for the explanation re the distance. It appears as though Disney have also seen the possible repercussions of the noise and taken steps to address it.
Cheers,
Grumbo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!