Why Do The Disney People Hate Us?

Like my social studies teachers have always said; everything is about MONEY
And that...my friend...is why all the local parks raise their ticket when others do it. They don't want to look like too much of a "value" lest people think it's a cheap place to go.

I think that this anology is wrong as it is saying that one is inferior to the other when as far as I'm concerned the quality is the same and it is just the price that is different. It's more a case of buying a similar TV at a lower/higher price.

Universal is not as expensive to go to. That's why people don't have a need to brag about going there and having a well-spent vacation. If you bought a 16" TV, would you say you enjoyed it and tell people about it as much as you would have if you'd bought a 64" TV???

All I can say is we love choice. We love the fact we can choose between Disney, Universal and Sea World; plus all of the other parks. I can't imagine anyone would complain over having choice. In the end, it's the customer (us) who wins. Competition helps keep prices in check and attractions fresh.

We are extremely happy Universal is in Orlando and that we can visit periodically from Indiana and experience everything they have to offer. It's great to have both! :)
I couldn't agree more. We've been visiting Central Florida from the UK since 1992, sometimes up to 3 times a year, and I still can't imagine a trip without taking in both the WDW and UO parks. Even in the days when UO consisted of just Universal Studios, it was an equally important element of our trips and, with the addition of IoA, CityWalk and the resorts, it really does give Disney a run for its money.

We've been Annual Passholders of both for as long as I can remember now. We're DVC members, but I can't imagine wanting to stay onsite at Disney for an entire trip. We like to get out and see everything on offer in the incredible vacation wonderland that is Orlando and we've stayed in some fabulous accommodations (check out my signature :) ) including twice at each of the Universal Resorts. Our upcoming trip in November will see our third stay at RPR. Proportionately, we do spend more of our time at WDW, but that's simply because there's more of it.

Epcot is our favourite park and we adore the International Food and Wine Festival. Our next trip is one of several which have been planned around it. UO doesn't have anything remotely like it. And it never seems to have got to grips with night-time entertainment the way Disney does. If ever Disney announces the end of Reflections of Earth, I'll be booking my flight :teeth:. Universal, though, has Halloween Horror Nights with which Disney will never be able to compete because there's no fit. MNSSHP (as well as MVMCP and P&P) are just excuses to charge extra for the privilege of being in MK during the evenings, in my opinion.

As far as attractions go, both have plenty of "not to be missed" offerings. One thing Disney does have over Universal is the sheer amount of research which goes into much of what they do - Expedition Everest is a prime example. Its biggest issue at the moment seems to be that the Imagineers are being stifled by the "Suits". It hasn't made any exciting announcements about new attractions since EE (American Idol, anyone? :bored: ) and the new celebration replacing YOMD is lame in the extreme. Universal pulled of the biggest coup in securing the rights to Harry Potter - Disney definitely got caught sleeping on that one.

None of this answers the OP's question, I know - others have covered that better than any attempt I could make. :teeth:

One thing Disney does have over Universal is the sheer amount of research which goes into much of what they do - Expedition Everest is a prime example.
Problem is, they put in the detail up front and then don't bother to maintain it. The Yeti hasn't been working correctly for probably months now, but they cover up the fact that he doesn't move with strobe lights.

And while EE is indeed themed in a wonderfully detailed way, it doesn't have anything on the Mummy queue! (Well, okay, Mummy doesn't have examples of poop patties, but other than that...)

Some folks just like complaining. :snooty:

And that's the bottom line! :laughing:

I'm from Scotland and have been visiting Florida for almost 30 years. I don't visit every year, we like to go to other places in the world, too. :) On our first visit Orlando consisted of MK, Disney Village, Church Street Station, Wet 'n' Wild and Sea World. We also visited some other parks which were in the area - Busch Gardens, Circus World and Cypress Gardens.

Over the years, it has amazed me how much Orlando has grown. Some parks have faded away while others have sprung up and thrived, but all have evolved. :goodvibes

We are always really excited to visit the new offerings in the area. Heck, if I'm taking a day to travel from my home to my hotel in Florida, I'm gonna get my money's worth and see as much as I can! :thumbsup2

It always gets me how folks who have never set foot in UO can pass comments on it. :confused3 It kinda makes me laugh, but feel sorry for them at the same time - those poor, unfortunate souls! :rotfl: Which brings me back to my opening comment... :hippie:

We love the Universal Parks...Disney is just something else we do when we are in Orlando. We have a few favourites in each park, but the problem is, I have to go to 4 parks to find them all, and in most cases, Universal or IoA has a similar ride that's better, faster and more thrilling. Notable exceptions are Soarin', Spectromagic and the Kilamajaro Safari. The only rides/shows that I think Disney does better are Tower of Terror (Dr Doom is just not in the same league) and Mickey's Philharmagic. Shrek is good, but Philharmagic is AWESOME! World Showcase is my favourite part of Epcot, and I think I could spend half a day just in Morocco, so there are definately some things we look forward to at the Disney parks.

The hardcore Disneyphiles talk alot about "the magic". I have to say that there is a reason that Magic Kingdom is always the first park we go to. I actually understand "the magic" when you get your first glimpse of the castle, and walk up Mainstreet. But that is the only park that I would describe as "magical". I also feel that same magic when we walk through the Port of Entry and hear the wind howling around the tower (or maybe that's just the noise from the Hulk, but it sounds eery) and when we visit Island's of the Lost Continents, and see the lanterns hung in the trees and hear the tinkling music.

The thing with Disney magic is that it seems almost frantic. Everyone is soooo determined to have a magical time, to heck with everybody else. You are always rushing through the crowds. At IoA, we can sit on a bench by Flying Unicorn and wait for the kids, and the "magic" just sneaks up on you!

Our trip is in a little less than 7 weeks, and I wasn't feeling excited about it. Actually thought about cancelling, but thinking about all of this today has made me really start looking forward to our trip!

I must admit, I drank the Disney Kool aid - I am a die hard bonafide disney nut. However, we go every year and we always go to both Universal and SeaWorld also - generally one day each now since our son is 7 and there is a lot that is not really his style at UO/IOA. We happen to enjoy both UO/IOA - DH and I went to Universal in I think it was 1991 when you parked in a flat parking lot (like seaworld) and WALKED to the gate. When there was a psycho house and Hard Rock Cafe where things now stand otherwise. When BTTF was in testing mode. We loved it! Still do, but with a small child it is a different experience. They do a much better baby swap than Disney, no doubt, but there is not enough all over for very small kids IMO. We spent a lot of time split up when we went when he was smaller but we enjoyed it still.

This year he is tall enough for more (he and I skipped last year and sent DH and DFIL - we had a mom and me date). We are very excited for this one - although we'll still do it in one day.

One thing I've found at UO/IOA (and Seaworld for that matter) is since we go off season, we feel like it's off season. Many trips in oct/nov on a weekday and we couldn't find an open soda cart before 10 or 11am at UO/IOA. Things are noticably closed. I don't get that at Disney - just short hours and less CM.

Anyway I love them all - the whole Florida trip experience is part of our annual tradition! I don't get why some people skip one or the other - and I will never get why people find being trapped on disney property to be a good idea - even if they don't go to any other parks (and I drank the kool aid but it must not have included the trap me on the propery sugar!)

The OP asked 'why do the Disney people hate us'??

Only reason I can think of is FOTL
:confused3

:teeth:

I dont think it has anything to do with hate, i feel it has to do with ride quality. when my daughter was small we loved wdw, it felt like a safe haven , it was all about the fantasy, for a long long time no one ever got killled there and you never heard about anyone getting hurt. young and naive as i was i remembered telling my daughter you dont have to worry theres nothing there that can hurt you. there was no drinking in mk so you didnt have to worry about drunks, and the place was immaculate, i remember smoking a cigarette and dropping the butt, and within a minute it was swept up. that was walt disneys dream to have a clean safe place for families to go together, then came universal, which when i visited it , i thought was going to be like hollywood. then i didnt go for a few years and went back this past year and feel they have alot of rides if your a roller coaster person or amusement type of ride, but i am not and neither is my daughter, but my grandson loved it. he doesnt like wdw but he loves uo. i still think it stems from what kind of rides you like:confused3

In answer to your question, they don't. This board has almost 200,000 members. In any population that size you are going to get a few snobs and a few smart aleks but, by and large, the people who come here either like both parks or could care less about USF/IOA.

disneydeb, i know exactly what you mean about mk being a safe place to take children. it is no longer a safe haven there.
we really had our eyes opened a couple of years while at mk due to the drunks there.
my boys and i had to leave some of the lines for the rides due to the guests that had been drinking. their behavior became so obnoxious.

with the resorts being so close by and the resturants there serving alcohol, you do see a lot of adults that have had way too much.

you would think disney would do something about that.
the cm's just ignored the loud, crude behavior those people had.

Once upon a time, a long long time ago, WDW really did embrace top-notch quality. When I married DH, who was used to Six Flags-style parks, he didn't get it till I dragged him to WDW for the very first time. But over time we watched the quality decline...the "show" gets worse even time we visit. The parks are dirty, the bathrooms are filthy, and there are plenty of rude people jumping lines, running others over etc. That's a big reason why we started taking so many Disney cruises...the cruise line has still retained the quality (at least for the most part).

Compared to Six Flags though (at least the one in Jersey), WDW is palatial. Local parks still don't have anything on them or Universal.

Once upon a time, a long long time ago, WDW really did embrace top-notch quality. When I married DH, who was used to Six Flags-style parks, he didn't get it till I dragged him to WDW for the very first time. But over time we watched the quality decline...the "show" gets worse even time we visit. The parks are dirty, the bathrooms are filthy, and there are plenty of rude people jumping lines, running others over etc. That's a big reason why we started taking so many Disney cruises...the cruise line has still retained the quality (at least for the most part).

I remember reading years ago that you never saw a burnt-out light bulb at a Disney park because they replaced each bulb when it hit 70% of its projected life, just to keep everything loking perfect. Obviously that policy has changed as the corporate folks look for ways to cut expenses. It still looks pretty impressive to people who visit the place infrequently or for the first time, we took a visitor to MK and DHS and he really enjoyed himself. He was too overwhelmed to look at the little things, that's probably the best way to enjoy your experience.

I love both Disney and Universal. Would have gone to both this year, but DS8 is quite the thrill junkie, but not yet tall enough to ride a good chunk of rides at Universal, and I didn't want to spend the entire day saying, "No, you're not tall enough yet." I have to do that every time we go to our local Six Flags...

However, we are currently in the beginning stages of planning a trip for 2010 with friends of ours, and we will DEFINITELY be hitting both WDW and Universal...even if DS isn't tall enough by then, HP will be open!!!

Compared to Six Flags though (at least the one in Jersey), WDW is palatial. Local parks still don't have anything on them or Universal.
Yep, that's exactly what hubby didn't get. He had been to many parks like Six Flags, Kings Island, Cedar Point etc. so he had no idea what I meant when I tried to explain that WDW was more like a self-contained "city" in a way. Now, of course, he fully understands. For the first several years we went to WDW, we didn't even drive...we just took Mears or a towncar and stayed on property (although we did -gasp!- visit Universal and later added IOA on almost every trip...we just took the Mears shuttle). It's fun to see someone who has never been to WDW and who is used to Six Flags style parks get their first view of Disney. Pretty cool to show people how Universal has evolved too if they haven't been there in years...we just had the pleasure of visiting there recently with friends who'd never visited since the original USF-only days. It has really evolved nicely.

I love both WDW and Universal for different reasons. I love WDW more because of Epcot. I just love that park the most, but I love Citywalk more then Downtown Disney so I have to go to both WDW and Universal everytime I go to Orlando, next time I can't so I'll go to WDW, but I will deff miss going to Citywalk and going to NBA City to eat

First let me say i am a proud DVC Member and also Love USF. It is where my DW took me on my surprise homneymoon (yes, I had no idea).:rotfl2:

OK, Here is what I believe after extensive research on the topic....Without WDW, Universal could not survive. That is not true the other way around. Disney people can be snobs :snooty: and Universal people tend to have an inferiority complex that makes them feel they need to defend themselves ALL the time :sad2:

We enjoy both and hopefully that will continue. We do do Disney 3 to 4 times more often. But this Feb should tell you that people can enjoy both. We are spending 4 nights at Royal Pacific and then taking a Diney Wonder Cruise. And we may even go to Sea World on our last day after getting off the boat. We are toooo crazy :banana: :banana:

OK, Here is what I believe after extensive research on the topic....Without WDW, Universal could not survive. That is not true the other way around. Disney people can be snobs :snooty: and Universal people tend to have an inferiority complex that makes them feel they need to defend themselves ALL the time :sad2:
I don't think that's entirely true. We feel like we have to defend Universal because the Disney snobs (your term...not mine) feel there is nothing good at Universal and tend to post untruths. That's when we have to say something...it has nothing to do with inferiority...it has to do with setting the record straight.

Also...we all know Universal was built to give Disney competition and to provide an alternative to Disney. Disney has been here a lot longer than Universal and we can't change that. But...if Universal wasn't here, I doubt you would see Disney doing a whole lot in terms of thrill rides. If it were just Disney and Sea World, I seriously doubt you would have seen any of the Expedition Everest, ToT or RnR coaster type rides since Disney wouldn't have to keep up with Universal and guests wanting something more exciting than Snow White or TSM. Plus...Disney seems to be taking money away from the parks and concentrating on DVC properties and selling land off for outside companies to build on. Also...they close PI because they want to be landlords and not fool with spending the money within the property on upgrades. Just look at what's coming down the pike in the next two years. Sea World is adding Manta...the first flying coaster in FL and Universal is adding the HR3 coaster next spring and HP in 2010. What is Disney adding? An American Idol show next spring. :rolleyes:

The bottom line is this...Disney and Universal need each other to keep raising the bar and being a local...I'm all for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter