Why Christmas?

I think a lot of people just go Christmas week because schools are closed, and many
companies even close down.

I have a coworker who goes for this reason - school is out & our company shuts down. He's in sales & his customers know we're shut down that week because they've been with us so many years, so they bother him a lot less on his cell than they do when he vacations other times in the year. Additionally, this coworker has 6 kids, so they forego Christmas presents in favor of a trip "somewhere" every year over Christmas. They do WDW every other year & some other destination on the off years (this year was Universal). They've only been during Christmas, so they don't really "know" any other way to do WDW, and they really enjoy the decorations. Side note: I get the impression they actually liked the changes to FP.

I have a coworker who goes for this reason - school is out & our company shuts down. He's in sales & his customers know we're shut down that week because they've been with us so many years, so they bother him a lot less on his cell than they do when he vacations other times in the year. Additionally, this coworker has 6 kids, so they forego Christmas presents in favor of a trip "somewhere" every year over Christmas. They do WDW every other year & some other destination on the off years (this year was Universal). They've only been during Christmas, so they don't really "know" any other way to do WDW, and they really enjoy the decorations. Side note: I get the impression they actually liked the changes to FP.
Fp+ is awesome when you go Christmas week. I can see why they would like the changes.

Yeah, as crowded as it is that week, I can see where that would be an advantage over the old system.

And esp seasoned travelers . Commando is not necessary for us. A few each night is a huge improvement.

Have gotten all of our FP+ while we are here. Very good luck again including multiple 7dmt days, Soarin, TT, all the mountains, Fantasmic, TSM, RNR, planning an AK day yet which will be easy.

Partly why we do.

We have consecutive 3 day work weeks right now, and its slow anyway, 6 days off gives us 17 days here. Toss in the 70 degree difference and the ultra long hours and extra shows as well as the amazing XMAS atmosphere and FP+ it becomes the best trip ever.

Oh and DVC and DVC AP discount brining our per day cost very in line.

Partly why we do.

We have consecutive 3 day work weeks right now, and its slow anyway, 6 days off gives us 17 days here. Toss in the 70 degree difference and the ultra long hours and extra shows as well as the amazing XMAS atmosphere and FP+ it becomes the best trip ever.

The temperature difference sounds nice, too. I've been following my coworker's pictures on FB & have seen nothing but shorts & t-shirts. It's below freezing here.

Why travel to WDW for Christmas? Because the memories of a WDW holiday trip are better than accumulating more "stuff".

For us, Christmas is a "bonus" trip between the main summer trip (so we don't have to do "everything" during busy Christmas.

I would have to say my answer to the original posed question of "Why Christmas?" would be "Why Not?" With that being said I would preface this with a stipulation of not going between Dec. 26-Jan. 1. You have to realize that holiday decorations are up around mid-November now, so going even before Thanksgiving could put you in the holiday mood prior to getting a sniff of December. For the first time this year the family had to take a trip during a holiday week (in our case it was Thanksgiving) due to school schedules. While we were able to swing a few days prior to Thanksgiving week once Thanksgiving week hit the crowds grew exponentially. That being said we were still able to get on everything we wanted, sometimes more than once, and thoroughly enjoyed our trip.

Unfortunately the Osborne Lights are no longer (at least for now), but there are other things to see and do. Definitely if you haven't experienced the MVMCP you need to do that. This is a way to get an extra day in at MK without using a day on your park ticket (this is a separate hard ticket event that will get you nto MK starting at 4:00 that day) This will allow you to get on the big rides such as Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, etc. without the longer lines of the day crowds during the holiday season. Also, we enjoy the Candlelight Processional at Epcot along with the Holidays Around the World which includes storytellers in each of the countries describing their Christmas traditions.

If we have an extra day or a relaxation day planned, we like to do some resort hopping and visit the different resorts to see how their lobbies are decorated. Don't miss the big trees at GF, WL, and AKL. Along with that the gingerbread carousel at BC and the gingerbread house at GF really get you in the holiday spirit as well.

This is definitely our favorite time of the year, but just make sure if you don't want to fight huge crowds avoid those days between Christmas and NYD.

I'm sure it is the fireworks. But fireworks are a large part of the experience for many, so seeing what it looks like in the hub during that time would be of use to many people.

Perhaps it would help wdw to do what dlr has done and design a fireworks show with multiple great viewing areas. The hub and main street there is still very crowded, no doubt,but it would give those who want to see the show but don't want the crowds a place to view them that they were designed to be seen from.
They do have multiple great viewing areas. They just don't do a good job of letting folks know (which I'm perfectly happy with).

The view of the fireworks from behind the castle is actually much better for the fireworks themselves. You feel like you are smack dab in the middle of them (because you are, they go off 360° around you back there).

They do have multiple great viewing areas. They just don't do a good job of letting folks know (which I'm perfectly happy with).

The view of the fireworks from behind the castle is actually much better for the fireworks themselves. You feel like you are smack dab in the middle of them (because you are, they go off 360° around you back there).

I am aware that you can view Wishes from various places and still have a good view...but it's different than what I am referring to with Disneyland Forever.

For Disneyland Forever, it isn't just the fireworks that can be seen from various places, it's the projections throughout the show too. On Main Street, the projections are on the buildings, in the Hub the projections are on both the castle and the Matterhorn, at the back of Fantasyland they use the facade of it's a small world to display the projections, and then in frontierland they use the water screens from Fantasmic to view the projections. And they aren't always the same. There are unique effects that happen on Main Street that you can only see if you're on Main Street (or if you turn around and look from the Hub). There's unique effects on the Matterhorn that only happen on the Matterhorn, etc.

How they designed Disneyland Forever is very different than they have designed previous shows, including the 50th anniversary show Remember, Dreams Come True and Wishes, and it really did help spread out the crowds at DLR in a way that doesn't currently happen at WDW.

I am aware that you can view Wishes from various places and still have a good view...but it's different than what I am referring to with Disneyland Forever.

For Disneyland Forever, it isn't just the fireworks that can be seen from various places, it's the projections throughout the show too. On Main Street, the projections are on the buildings, in the Hub the projections are on both the castle and the Matterhorn, at the back of Fantasyland they use the facade of it's a small world to display the projections, and then in frontierland they use the water screens from Fantasmic to view the projections. And they aren't always the same. There are unique effects that happen on Main Street that you can only see if you're on Main Street (or if you turn around and look from the Hub). There's unique effects on the Matterhorn that only happen on the Matterhorn, etc.

How they designed Disneyland Forever is very different than they have designed previous shows, including the 50th anniversary show Remember, Dreams Come True and Wishes, and it really did help spread out the crowds at DLR in a way that doesn't currently happen at WDW.
True. The projections are to be viewed from one place only. But on our DL trip we saw them from several locations. I thought you were talking about fireworks only

True. The projections are to be viewed from one place only. But on our DL trip we saw them from several locations. I thought you were talking about fireworks only
Sorry about the confusion..I was talking about the whole experience of the show :)

We went at Christmas because we love Disney, and it was the first year we had no family plans for Christmas. We knew we needed to do something awesome. We went into it knowing we wouldn't get as many rides in as we are used to. I wouldn't want to go at that time all the time, and certainly would never suggest to someone that their first visit is AT Christmas, but it was really a great trip. With good planning we still were able to do more than we expected, we had good ADRs so didn't always have to deal the the larger crowds for counter service options. I'd do it again.

I would have to say my answer to the original posed question of "Why Christmas?" would be "Why Not?" With that being said I would preface this with a stipulation of not going between Dec. 26-Jan. 1. You have to realize that holiday decorations are up around mid-November now, so going even before Thanksgiving could put you in the holiday mood prior to getting a sniff of December. For the first time this year the family had to take a trip during a holiday week (in our case it was Thanksgiving) due to school schedules. While we were able to swing a few days prior to Thanksgiving week once Thanksgiving week hit the crowds grew exponentially. That being said we were still able to get on everything we wanted, sometimes more than once, and thoroughly enjoyed our trip.

Unfortunately the Osborne Lights are no longer (at least for now), but there are other things to see and do. Definitely if you haven't experienced the MVMCP you need to do that. This is a way to get an extra day in at MK without using a day on your park ticket (this is a separate hard ticket event that will get you nto MK starting at 4:00 that day) This will allow you to get on the big rides such as Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, etc. without the longer lines of the day crowds during the holiday season. Also, we enjoy the Candlelight Processional at Epcot along with the Holidays Around the World which includes storytellers in each of the countries describing their Christmas traditions.

If we have an extra day or a relaxation day planned, we like to do some resort hopping and visit the different resorts to see how their lobbies are decorated. Don't miss the big trees at GF, WL, and AKL. Along with that the gingerbread carousel at BC and the gingerbread house at GF really get you in the holiday spirit as well.

This is definitely our favorite time of the year, but just make sure if you don't want to fight huge crowds avoid those days between Christmas and NYD.

I read the OP as asking about going at the very time you are stipulating not going.

I can absolutely make a case for going during the Christmas season as long as you can avoid the high crowds of Christmas week itself. I just don't think that was the question.

I read the OP as asking about going at the very time you are stipulating not going.

I can absolutely make a case for going during the Christmas season as long as you can avoid the high crowds of Christmas week itself. I just don't think that was the question.

You read correctly. Since DH is a teacher, are pretty well married to "those" two weeks of Christmas.

Partly why we do.

I agree, i have two teenage boys who really do not need stuff & we were spending so much at the holidays so three years ago we decided lets do a vacation over the break. Now I had been to WDW after thanksgiving & after Jan 1 where everything is pretty much still up.

I never try to convince anyone to go to Disney. We chose to go at Christmas this year, because we moved into a new house in August. I have always wanted to travel at Christmas to try something new. We figured since we could leave the decorations packed in their boxes and our kids were having to adjust to a "new" Christmas experience anyway, it was the perfect time to try it. It also allowed us to simplify gift giving, which none of our kids objected to. Extended family also readily adapted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter