Who's wearing 2, 3 or 4 masks now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using 2 for a long time now- use one of the disposable ones under a cloth one. My daughter always wears two- she left her apartment one time in 2 1/2 weeks to go to the food store wearing 2 masks and ends up diagnosed with covid this weekend- so I think wearing 2,3,4,5 masks really doesn't make a damn bit of difference.

I'm not even sure that's what they mean though. For instance, many people have been wearing the paper-ish surgical masks. Believe it or not, those are already 3 layer and they are quite effective in some situations. However, they tend to gap on the sides, so what works well in surgery doesn't necessary bode well for COVID or influenza. Yet, even with those multilayer surgical masks, they are advocating to wear another cloth mask over top. Generally, that cloth mask will fit tighter over the paper mask and seal down the sides, which makes it MUCH more effective.

I've also heard them talk about the masks like Swiss cheese. With one mask, even with 2-3 layers, you get holes. Add yet something else on top of that, and you have less or smaller holes.
And if you wear a 3rd mask, the holes/openings get smaller. A fourth mask makes them smaller still, as does the fifth, sixth, seventh, etc. At what point is it "overkill"?

Facts are that we're closing in (fast) on 500,000 deaths in this country due to a horrendously contagious and not well known or studied disease. You are LUCKY. To compare covid stats to getting struck by lightning is just....:rolleyes1.

I’m not comparing having serious Covid affects to getting struck by lightening as far as raw numbers go...clearly more people have been affected by Covid than lightening. What I’m saying is that when there is a possibility of something happening but there is a much larger possibility of it not happening you are not lucky to avoid it you are unlucky if it happens to you. Yes there over 400,000 dead from Covid, but that’s out of a US population of over 328 million. I don’t consider myself lucky to be in the group of 327 1/2 million who haven’t died, I would be very unlucky if I was part of the less than 1/2 million who did die. That’s the point I’m making, you’re not lucky if you’re ok, the vast majority will be, you’re unlucky if you’re not. And whichever way you choose to look at lucky vs unlucky probably determines how you are living right now. I see depression as a far greater threat and if I can help someone to worry less about something that is a very small threat and take care of their own mental health that’s what I post for.

So many science deniers, wow!

I certainly hope that none of the "no" folks ever opened their mouth or pecked at their keyboard attacking those who state they don't wear a mask.

And if you wear a 3rd mask, the holes/openings get smaller. A fourth mask makes them smaller still, as does the fifth, sixth, seventh, etc. At what point is it "overkill"?

I'd say just use common sense. Get the smallest amount of holes along with the most tolerable comfort. That will be different for everyone and every type of mask.

I have been using 2 for a long time now- use one of the disposable ones under a cloth one. My daughter always wears two- she left her apartment one time in 2 1/2 weeks to go to the food store wearing 2 masks and ends up diagnosed with covid this weekend- so I think wearing 2,3,4,5 masks really doesn't make a damn bit of difference.

Well, there's the eyes. And we know the masks aren't perfect. Only a true N95 respirator is going to get perfection. Look at this way, she still caught it but maybe she reduced her overall viral load and that makes a difference in many case with regard to illness severity.

KN95 with a cloth or paper over it for the grocer. KN95 with a face shield for flying. High risk and had bad covid in December, just allowed off oxygen yesterday. I only go to grocery and will fly in February, cleared by pulmonologist to fly. They are unsure if I can be reinfected so being cautious. Our state is vaccinating teachers before those with high risk issues so probably March at the earliest for me.

I've seen expert suggestions to wear two masks, but never seen anyone said to wear more than two.

That’s the point I’m making, you’re not lucky if you’re ok, the vast majority will be, you’re unlucky if you’re not.

I think that remains to be seen - I've read that up to 60% of people who get COVID will have long-term effects, even if they had no symptoms from it. So you might be lucky not to get sick, but end up having problems for the rest of your life.

I've seen expert suggestions to wear two masks, but never seen anyone said to wear more than two.
But if two is better than one, then three is better than two, right? And four would be better than three. Each layer would cut down the hole size. I mean, that's "science", isn't it?
I think that remains to be seen - I've read that up to 60% of people who get COVID will have long-term effects, even if they had no symptoms from it. So you might be lucky not to get sick, but end up having problems for the rest of your life.
Can you source that please?

Only a true N95 respirator is going to get perfection.
Not if the eyes are a possible "in road".

Next thing you know, we'll all need to wear these:
mask-1.png

Back in June my GP suggested I use fabric over my 95 to preserve it for up to a weeks use. Said if fabric is the outside layer. then only the fabric part gets dirty & protects the valuable PPE underneath which can be aired out and reused.
I have been around others maybe 5 times since last March so it's not a big thing for me but it makes sense.
If people do not have the money for good masks and want to stay safe then I think the doubling up is reasonable.

No, just sticking with one. I have severe panic when it feels like I can't breathe. I've had to leave Walmart before because I felt like my heart was going to explode from panic.... stupid brain!
I’ve experienced this, too and it sucks!!

I've found myself panicking lately (never did) when I'm in a store, wearing all my winter gear and the store is already warm.
I do start to get really hot, which starts to make me anxious/crabby and then I just want to run outside in the cold and whip off my mask and jacket!
😂

But if two is better than one, then three is better than two, right? And four would be better than three. Each layer would cut down the hole size. I mean, that's "science", isn't it?

Yes, it's better until you suffocate. I realize you're trying to be edgy and cool here, but use common sense as I said above. Wear as many layers, filters you can comfortably wear. No one thinks you should suffocate yourself or cause hyperventilation from shopping.

Yes, it's better until you suffocate. I realize you're trying to be edgy and cool here, but use common sense as I said above. Wear as many layers, filters you can comfortably wear. No one thinks you should suffocate yourself or cause hyperventilation from shopping.
I'm just using science. :rolleyes:

I think the bigger issue that how you wear your mask is so often ignored. A great mask worn improperly will not protect you the way it should. Two masks worn improperly won't protect you the way they should. The mask needs to cover your nose, mouth, and chin entirely. The fabric should sit flush on your face so there are no gaps. For goodness sake, don't touch your mask! If you do, wash your hands immediately.

I see so many people grabbing their mask, then rubbing their eyes, then grabbing their mask, then taking it off to scratch their nose. Their nose is peeking out. They take it off completely because it's uncomfortable. Literally everything that scientists tell people NOT to do, they end up doing. It's mind boggling. And if they get COVID they then claim that masks don't work. It's like watching a person pull on a door when it says "push" and after their futile efforts they decide that the door is broken. 🤦‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter