Who's stubborn like me?

I'm a resort snob when it comes to the values (to me, they each just seem like an oversized Motel 6 with over-the-top Disney theming).

On the other end of the spectrum, I can never bring myself to stay at the Contemporary (despite the fantastic location - the theming, or lack thereof, just doesn't do it for me).

POFQ
We wanted to try a moderate and everyone suggested POFQ. I had no desire to stay there, I wanted beachy(CBR) or the Southwest theme(CSR). Everyone told me how great POFQ is. But I thought "What you think is cool isn't necessarily what I think is cool". The only thing that kept me going there was "It's Disney, it can't be bad". Less than a half an hour after we arrived I exclaimed "I get it!!" The place was fabulous. Everything exceeded my expectations. I was very happy there.

I've only stayed at POFQ (once, first trip in 95, so overwhelmed by everything that I don't actually remember too terribly much about the resort), CSR (every other trip since, save 2 - absolutely love everything about it), CBR (once, overall didn't enjoy) and Polynesian (most recent trip).

DH had always wanted to stay at the Poly since he was a kid - I had no desire really. It had always seemed so...BROWN. :rotfl: And then we got there. Obviously, I knew being a deluxe it would have great amenities and proximity to the parks would make me like it. But staying there? Oh my gosh do I love it! It's beautiful! And the BROWN and dark that stood out to me from photos/monorail trips past...SO not the reality once you're there! I'd thought I would want to stay at GF instead, but now I find my opinion has shifted and GF feels a bit "stuffy" so it's now on my list of not really wanting to stay there. (You know, until I stay there and love that too lol)

I am totally in love with CR club level and I don't even need to stay there. I already know its fantastic. But all of my family says no. Why? Because they don't like the sinks. -.- So for now it's SSR and the Poly. :furious:

Yes, totally did this too. I stayed at POR when it was Dixie Landings and a couple of times after the name change. I vowed to never stay at POFQ because I was loyal to Dixie. However, a few years ago there was ONLY availability at POFQ for our dates, so we had to stay there. I prepared the family for the worst. Tiny resort, over the top annoying theme, shared bus that was somehow worse than POR (who the bus was shared with) and no Disney feel.

Boy was I wrong! We LOVED it. We haven't gone back yet, but not for lack of enjoying our time there! We have been staying on points at our DVC resorts and haven't been going outside them in recent years. This summer we are headed to CBR for nostalgia as it was the first Disney Resort I ever stayed at as a child.

I'm still a snob about CSR (it has a convention center, that's not Disney! LOL) and S/D just stands out like a sore thumb to me. Maybe one day...

I love this thread. Trying right now to choose swalphin, floridian, contemporary, or a moderate. For some reason I just am not all that excited about staying at the swalphin... an it'd be free on credit card points!

Swan or port Orleans for two nights before a 5 night stay at boardwalk inn??

I love this thread. Trying right now to choose swalphin, floridian, contemporary, or a moderate. For some reason I just am not all that excited about staying at the swalphin... an it'd be free on credit card points!

Swan or port Orleans for two nights before a 5 night stay at boardwalk inn??

I think two nights at Swan is just the perfect way to see if you'd stay there in the future. Even if it's not your cup of tea, it's in the perfect location and you can try a couple of their restaurants (The wife loves Il Miluno).

For us, it was GF.

One trip, we went to 1900 for dinner and judged it as stuffy and that it wasn't for us jeans and T's folks...

Boy, was I wrong!

Last year, we kept seeing great deals come out with a 30% off certain deluxes. When we were considering what hotel was in our eyes the epitome of the Holidays in Disney, I couldn't stop thinking of the tree and gingerbread house in the GF lobby that I had seen on TV specials. So we booked it and it was so unbelievable.

Never did i feel like we were treated based on money. In fact, the staff went above and beyond. Knowing that we were traveling with kids who have autism, they showed us two different rooms that would work for us and they even showed us the screen so we could see the view. We were celebrating my daughter's birthday and not only did they surprise both kids with stuffed animals, balloons and coloring books/crayons but the next day delivered a great chocolate treat as a happy birthday wish as well.

I get why it does appear stuffy, but that stay completely turned me into a GF lover! This next trip, we are trying my dream stay at Poly but I definitely foresee a trip back to GF soon after that. Our nomad days of trying different hotels each trip, I believe are soon over!

Yes I have! We did this with the Beach Club, not staying there thinking hey we go with extended family to the beach each year so we don't want a just beach resort theme but boy we were wrong. I love the Beach Club and if I had to stay there each trip I wouldn't mind. This year DD's boyfriend is wanting to stay at Cont, which we love also, but there is this voice inside me that is hoping that if discounts come out for August that the BC will be better and we will change but don't tell anyone. :cool1:

I never thought that I would like AKL.It held no appeal. Then a couple of years ago, I invited my friend and her 8 year old to come with us and I booked AKV because I figured he'd love seeing the animals, which he did. I was not prepared for how much I would love this resort. It's stunning and I found myself waking up early not to go to the parks but to wait for the handlers to put out the food for the animals.

OP, we love CSR and the S/D too. It cracks me up when I read that someone is a deluxe snob but they won't try the S/D. These hotels are at least as nice as the Disney deluxe resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter