Who's disappointed with the GF courtyard pool refurb?

I'm sad they made it shallow. That's my biggest complaint. I like a zero entry pool, but this one seems to have a huge zero entry. The one at AKL is nice, because it doesn't take up as much space.
Maybe they'll be able to make the fencing look better with shrubs, and flowers. It just opened, so give them a chance.

Zero entry has been added to most new pool refers on property because the new suggestion from ADA is to have two means of entrance/exit for those with disabilities and one should not require special equipment.

I didn't think it was a suggestion...it was mandatory to add it in by a certain date. The hotels around where I live have done big refurbs. New hotels have both ramps and a lift.

I didn't think it was a suggestion...it was mandatory to add it in by a certain date. The hotels around where I live have done big refurbs. New hotels have both ramps and a lift.

Ah then that means the law went trough. For awhile it was a suggestion because the ADA hadn't officially been updated so a lot of places were doing the refurbs and such while they had the time and money to try and get ahead of the game because for the first time in a long time nothing would be grandfathered in.

I'm no expert on this, but I do believe that there were some new federal (?) regulations tied to ADA that have been and continue to flow down to pool sites of public accommodation, and some or all of these changes may be a direct result.

I know that a brand new YMCA facility opened near our home about four or five years ago with an Olympic size pool and a smaller one, but even being that new it was shut down for a time ostensibly due to refits mandated by ADA-related rules...nothing as extensive as this GF pool rehab, but enough to shut it down for a time.

Don't know that to be the case here, but given that most owners were probably given a window for compliance, I suspect that may be at least a part of what's going on here. Can't blame Disney if they're just complying with the relevant law.

New federel ADA regulations require every public pool AND SPA to have a lift or other accessibilty. Look around at any Disney pool now and they will have a lift. This is expensive a) to purchase and b) to maintain, especially at Disney where kids crawl around on them and tend to break things.

A Zero entry pool is a win:win for kids, many other people and the handicapped as well as the owners.

Here's the website of the ADA regarding existing pools. The rules went into effect 1/31/13. Obviously this pool was closed for construction at the time, but it had to be compliant when it opened.

http://www.ada.gov/qa_existingpools_titleIII.htm

All I see is that existing pools were required to have a lift... that's it. And if the courtyard pool had done that... which would be in compliance with the law... then they wouldn't have had the additional issue of putting up a fence required by FL law for pool refurbs.

The GF already had the beach pool with a zero-entrance for toddlers and those with disabilities. The courtyard pool only needed a lift for ADA compliance (which would also have negated the need for a fence).

They didn't have to make it zero-entrance, and put a fence around it.

While I do not have an issue with the pool being zero entry, I really dislike the fencing. I do agree that it cheapens the look of the resort especially as it is right smack in the center courtyard of the GF. While I love the Grand and have had wonderful stays, I will think twice about spending the money for cheap looking environs. A fence simply cuts off the scenery and open welcoming feeling of the resort.

I will be interested in actually seeing it for myself in July as we are dining there while staying at the Contemporary.

Here's the website of the ADA regarding existing pools. The rules went into effect 1/31/13. Obviously this pool was closed for construction at the time, but it had to be compliant when it opened.

http://www.ada.gov/qa_existingpools_titleIII.htm

All I see is that existing pools were required to have a lift... that's it. And if the courtyard pool had done that... which would be in compliance with the law... then they wouldn't have had the additional issue of putting up a fence required by FL law for pool refurbs.

The GF already had the beach pool with a zero-entrance for toddlers and those with disabilities. The courtyard pool only needed a lift for ADA compliance (which would also have negated the need for a fence).

They didn't have to make it zero-entrance, and put a fence around it.

There is really no reason not to. The lifts are not the best way for the folks who need them to get in and out of the pool.

The fencing is being done all around the country now.............mostly insurance and local regulation issues.

AKK

So I'm guessing they reduced it just enough so that the majority of teens and adults would never be in "over their heads". This is a pool designed by lawyers.

That was my first thought, too.

I think fencing in the pools is a good idea, however that fence is ugly! Going on the pictures, it doesn't look so bad from the inside, but from the outside it's a deadly dull barrier. Seems to me the other pool fences are either more open, or more disguised by plantings -- I don't remember them being so noticeable, anyhow.

The lifts are not the best way for the folks who need them to get in and out of the pool.

Not to mention, you usually have to find a lifeguard or someone to operate the lift (speaking in general, not specifically to GF here).

Zero entry is nice because it means someone with a mobility disability can get into and out of the pool more easily and without specialized assistance, but judging by the pictures, this refurb sure did cut back on the swimmable space.

Grabbed before it changes on Google Earth-for old times sake I guess.

GF8.png

Ok, lets bump this! :)

We stayed at the BWI last week, but jumped on the monorail to visit the shops at the CR/Poly/GF in the evening.

During one of these evening visits we walked out to the GF courtyard pool and actually stood in the water at the shallow end.

The verdict?

The whole rest of the family prefers the pool this new way.
Me... I prefer it the old way, but I'm Ok with it the way it is now (having seen it myself) As usual I'm outnumbered :)

i think it looks great, and we love a zero entry. cant wait to see it in person very shortly. :)

We saw the fence in person last week. It is ugly for sure. Totally ruins the view as you walk out the back doors and towards Narcoosee's. I'm not sure what would look better... maybe a skinnier fence post with some sort of ornate top? Or more plantings to cover it up? It needs something.

I agree with TigrLvsPooh.. the fence is ugly. My main gripe was the loss of swimming space in the pool, but otherwise aesthetically the pool still looks great! We especially like the new blue-lit fountains in the shallow end.

The fence also looks bad from the inside. Looking towards Boca Chica, it feels enclosed and confined.

Maybe instead of white, they should try painting it a darkish-green to blend in with the shrubs?

Taking up half the pool for a new zero-entry area is just insulting if the sole purpose is ADA compliance. They would have had an easier time just putting in a sloped ramp with a hand rail. MANY senior pools do this, and I view it as a good addition to having a lift. The zero-entry refurb. is just overkill in my mind and provokes even more backlash against those in wheelchairs. (Wheels in the family and on Disney trips so I get to have a strong opinion)

The expansive zero-entry area is for all the munchkins and obese people who struggle up the ladders...plain and simple.

I support the OP in that I feel there should be places available for lap swimming. Maybe even have a rule that one pool at each resort is for lap swimming only before a certain hour. I know of many adults and older teens that swim laps to relax and it is their vacation too. Disney caters to most other sports, so why not adult swimmers?

Taking up half the pool for a new zero-entry area is just insulting if the sole purpose is ADA compliance. They would have had an easier time just putting in a sloped ramp with a hand rail. MANY senior pools do this, and I view it as a good addition to having a lift. The zero-entry refurb. is just overkill in my mind and provokes even more backlash against those in wheelchairs. (Wheels in the family and on Disney trips so I get to have a strong opinion)

The expansive zero-entry area is for all the munchkins and obese people who struggle up the ladders...plain and simple.

I support the OP in that I feel there should be places available for lap swimming. Maybe even have a rule that one pool at each resort is for lap swimming only before a certain hour. I know of many adults and older teens that swim laps to relax and it is their vacation too. Disney caters to most other sports, so why not adult swimmers?

I am an adult swimmer and swim daily laps, swam competitively for years. having a pool that i could do that in while at Disney world be great. however looking at this one before the change i don't think it was a great lap pool to begin with. i doubt it would have occurred to me to use it as such. i would love to see a pool at a fitness center....is there one on property?

What percentage of resorts have lap pools? People are going on vacation not to a swim meet.

It's been years since we stayed there. I just remember thinking the courtyard pool seemed very uninviting. We didn't use it, even though it was closer to our room. We used the theme pool. I think the photos linked by the OP make it look really nice.

It's been years since we stayed there. I just remember thinking the courtyard pool seemed very uninviting. We didn't use it, even though it was closer to our room. We used the theme pool. I think the photos linked by the OP make it look really nice.

We were just the opposite. When we stayed at GF several years ago, we had a direct view of the courtyard pool from our room. I could sit on the balcony and watch my son and husband at the pool. We used it all the time because the themed pool was just too small and crowded. And it was nice then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!