Who's disappointed with the GF courtyard pool refurb?

The zero entrance is for the handicapped.

Nothing against that... but this is based on what information?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-entry_swimming_pool#Zero-entry_swimming_pools

Zero-entry swimming poolsA zero-entry swimming pool, also called a beach entry swimming pool, is a swimming pool having an edge or entry that gradually slopes from the deck into the water, becoming deeper with each step, in the manner of a natural beach. As there are no stairs or ladders to navigate, this type of entry assists older people, young children and people with accessibility problems where gradual entry is useful.

Based on the fact that is the only way people with certain disabilities -- including those who rely on wheelchairs -- can enjoy the pool.

when I'm home, I swim laps at my gym in a terrific no-wave pool with lanes. When I go to WDW I do not expect to be able to swim laps. The JW Marriott/Ritz in Orlando has a lap pool behind their spa, if that's what you're looking for.

And, sorry, the fence may or may not be aesthetically right but I can't find a lot of sympathy for people who will now have to take an extra 47 steps to get from one building to another.

Zero entry has been added to most new pool refers on property because the new suggestion from ADA is to have two means of entrance/exit for those with disabilities and one should not require special equipment. By having 0 entry many more disabled guests to WDW can enjoy the pool with out having to get a lifeguard first to set up equipment to put them in the pool then to take them out later. I know at one point ADA was fighting that all public and hotel pools have an entry for the disabled that didn't require special equipment (other then a water wheelchair).

Isn't that what the pool is, zero entry and then gradually getting deeper? I'm not sure what you mean by deep end?

A large part of the pool used to be around 5-6 feet deep. Apparently with the construction the deepest part is now only around 4 feet. My kids and I are not happy.

A large part of the pool used to be around 5-6 feet deep. Apparently with the construction the deepest part is now only around 4 feet. My kids and I are not happy.

Oh, really, only 4' now? That is kind of disappointing as I thought it would be deeper, at least still 5'. Still overall I like the improvements and we'd still enjoy swimming around.

Anybody really know how deep the pool is these days at its deepest part, since the construction?

The new pool looks great for little kids...it looks like almost 1/2 the pool is ankle deep according to new pics. The problem is where on property do older kids and adults go. My dh wanted to go here for next trip but I convinced him to wait until pool was done. He took one look at pics and said no way. It looks like all the chairs are much more congested now, maybe due to fence. When my son was 11, he had no interest in beach pool cuz he got bored with it. He swam in cy pool. There's plenty of room for little kids. Just no room for older kids and adults.

I agree that it looks like this pool, which was really large and nice to swim in, is much smaller now. I don't mind a zero-entry, but this one looks like it's taking up half of the pool. Not sure I like this change at all. As for the fence, it's a shame since it doesn't look as nice with it there, but I guess it's necessary to stop people from pool-hopping...:confused3

I've heard the fences are a county ordinance and since Disney had pools before the ordinance they didn't need fences. But the county has told Disney that any pool that they rehab in the future will need a fence put around it.
79CF469C000B75F043E9CDD02D603D37.png

The fence is going to take some getting used to. I think it takes away from the flow of the grounds. I know they are doing that because of pool hopping.

The zero entry is fine with me. I've had it at other pools.

The pools are just going to get crowded when the DVC opens. They didn't plan out for the extra guests all that well.

I'm thinking the REAL reason for the zero entry has to do with the GF-DVC. A while back I had posted this thread asking if the GF beach pool would become exclusive to the DVC. What we didn't know at the time is that the courtyard pool would have a fence around it. As someone posted in the long GRAND VACATION 2012 FAQ there's been some chatter that the courtyard pool would soon require showing your room card to keep out the nearby DVC guests. This means that the beach pool becomes a defacto DVC exclusive pool.

I was also lurking over at the WDWmagic forums and there's a few good opinions there that the whole POINT of the GF is to be an elegant adult flagship resort... and this pool refurb runs counter to that.

Sure.. the pool looks great when it's empty... but when occupied, one side of it will look like a beach with people standing around:

http://cdn.wdwmagic.com/imgstore/El...Grand-Floridian-Resort-and-Spa_Full_18458.jpg

They've basically taken a nice big pool and cut it in half.

At the projected cost to purchase DVC at the GF, I seriously doubt they are going to limit pool use. I don't see that happening at all.

DVC members have been able to pool hop to GF, I will not be surprised if after the villas open if GF is taken off that list.

I had been told by those that work in Disney resort management that eventually all Deluxe resort pools will be gated and the new Magic bands will be used to open the gate for entry.

You can blame those that see no problem with pool hopping for that.

you can pool hop already with DVC...

They are doing just like they did with the Grand Cal at Disneyland. You will need a room key to get through the fence... It's rumored that the Poly will be doing this also.

at least this one isn't like 8 feet tall like the one in California.

This is what the pool at the Grand Cal looks like...

GCpool.jpg

I am fine with the zero entry. It makes life easier for my parents who could not climb down a pool ladder or walk down steps easily. However, I do wish they'd left more depth. I don't swim laps but I've always loved lolling around in the deeper parts of the pool and the genteel yet relaxed atmosphere of the courtyard. The pool never lacked for kids anyway. It's not a deal breaker for me, but I can't imagine the atmosphere will be the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter