• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Who names their cars?

I have a metallic green Kia Sephia that I have not named; however, I do call my GPS "Lucy" (after Lucille Ball :thumbsup2)....she talks to me all the time and yes, I do talk back to her, :cool1: so she needed a name! ;) Hmmm...maybe I should start referring to my car as "Ethel" :lmao:

Selene is a 2006 Toyota Corolla. Her color is Phantom Grey Mist.

Selene is a goddess of the moon and my favorite poem is The Favors Of The Moon by Baudelaire; so when I read the name of her color it was meant to be.

Selene is a 2006 Toyota Corolla. Her color is Phantom Grey Mist.

My DH had the same car (even color) until a kid plowed into the back of him the freeway last week:sad2:. His name was BOI (boy) we name them after the letters on the plate.

My car hasn't been named yet - guess I better go check out my plate and see what I can come up with.

Back longer ago than I care to remember (but actually, around 1980), I was living in San Francisco when my girlfriend from Illinois decided to come out and spend the summer with me. As the summer progressed, we somehow decided that a road trip was in order to get her back to grad school in IL. Problem was, I had no car. So we scoured the want ads, and found a great deal on a 10-or-so year old Chevy Nova.

We liked the car, and I purchased it for cash on the spot from the young couple selling it. As they were signing the paper work, we asked, "so, does the car have a name?".

The woman looked up, smiled brightly, and said "Nina!" I think that's when they knew they were selling to the right buyers.

We took a wonderful trip up the coast from SF to Vancouver and Victoria, through the Canadian Rockies and Saskatchewan, and down through MN and WI to IL. Took our time, spending about 6 weeks to see all the sights. I gave the car to my (then) girlfriend to use in grad school.

Nina Nova turned 100k on the trip. I got a picture of her odometer, with the Canadian Rockies showing through the windshield in the background. Great memories. Thanks for the question.

-Bob

Oooh, oooh, I have another one :thumbsup2

Back around the same time as above, my Mom and little sister came out to SF for a visit. Not having a car, I rented one to show them around the area.

Problem was, the car had some sort of problem with the transmission. It was especially bad on the hills of SF. So I named it Lurch. :rotfl2:

So, for an entire week, whenever the car acted up, we'd hum the Adams Family song -- dum-dum-dum-dum -- and two finger snaps, and then all break out laughing hysterically :lmao:

Another great memory.

-Bob

We have a silver Nissan pulsar named Andrea. I wanted to call her Lisa, but DH wouldn't have it!

Isn't it funny how we consider most cars to be girls!:goodvibes

We have been naming our cars since I was a kid. Dad could never understand why Mom wouldn't let him name their black Ford sedan "Black Widow.":rolleyes:

Over the years I've owned a roundish red 1993 Geo Prizm named "Jellybean", a sleek silver Honda Odyssey named "Orbit", and now a black Honda Odyssey named "BatMobile". The last name came about because it's kinda slick for a minivan, and when we first got it there were so many buttons I didn't know what they all did. I kept telling my kids there was an ejector seat button somewhere so they'd better not push anything!

DH's silver Ford F-150 is named Scout because that's its usual set of occupants -- a Boy Scout troop.

PHXscuba

So it's not a name, but a themed car. I was coming home from the gym this morning and there was a black SUV in front of me. The license plate frame said BlkPurl, there were family stickers that were pirate themed and the license plate frame said Yo Ho! Yo Ho! A Pirate's life for me. I thought of this thread so I had to tell you guys. pirate:

Many years ago I had a 88 steel grey Sunbird that I called the Grey Beast. For some reason she hated my future husband with a passion. Maybe it was because the first 3 digits on the license plate was ENV. She was very jealous of my future husband, and made any repairs to her an ordeal. Every time he tried to do repairs to it, it fought him like crazy, and caused him no end of grief. I fondly remember the time when the rad blew, and while in the process of putting it in, had to go back to the rad shop 3 more times for repairs to the new rad, until the rad guy took pity on DH and did the repairs to the new rad for free. I eventually sold it at a garage sale (no my garage sale, one that I was checking out), but that's another long and strange story.

I have only named one car.

My first car (and I'm dating myself) was "Pookie the Pinto"

So it's not a name, but a themed car. I was coming home from the gym this morning and there was a black SUV in front of me. The license plate frame said BlkPurl, there were family stickers that were pirate themed and the license plate frame said Yo Ho! Yo Ho! A Pirate's life for me. I thought of this thread so I had to tell you guys. pirate:

:thumbsup2

i thik shelly mouse named her van....

i think she named it " the car i really didn't want but have"

I guess I can blame the car naming on my DH. When we met he drove a Jeep named Pepe. Since then we have had a beefed up 4 wheel drive Suburban named Beast, a white more feminine sort of Suburban named Belle, a little Toyota pickup named Buddy, a red Jeep named Bob and the latest edition is another big ole 4 wheel drive pickup named Brimstone. I think we may run out of B names before much longer! :rotfl:
We've even had two GPS units that we called by name. The first one was was in a Crown Victoria rental car so we called her Vickie and the next smaller one we purchased after that was named Minnie.
Glad to know we are not the only ones who talk to our cars!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter