Who is planning on being in Disneyland 7/17/2015?

Maybe a lot of people weren't doing it because it costs $20. :crazy:

What was the prize?

The prize was a sort of nice metal 60th medallion (plastic or rubber at dca) which they gave you upfront (so there was no need to play if you didn't want to).

Maybe a lot of people weren't doing it because it costs $20. :crazy:

What was the prize?
The DL Quest was $20 and the DCA Quest was $13 (plus tax for both and no discounts). The DL Quest prize was a metal medallion and the DCA Quest prize was a rubber/PVC lanyard medallion. I agree that the price probably played a factor into the popularity of the activity.

I lined up at 4:30 am, they let us into the esplanade around 6ish I think and we were about 20 back from the turnstile, the furthest turnstile on the right. It was pretty awesome. I think high-fiving the CM's was the highlight for me. =) We stayed until closing. LOL. We did take a nap mid day as the park did not seem like it was full to capacity. Totally different feel than the 50th......but we still had a blast.

We got there around 7:30 am and actually headed into DCA. We went on RSRs twice, got cupcakes by TOT, then headed over to DL about 8:15. We went back to DCA for lunch and a cast member there said at that point there were 44,000 people in DL and 14,000 in DCA. It was nice to get some time in at both parks and we avoided the worst of the crowd. I'm very happy to have been there for such as special day. We headed out after dinner a birthday dinner for a member of our group at Goofy's Kitchen.

We had a really nice time there. We were at the Mickey & Friends Parking structure by 5:15am, but they didn't open until 5:30. We went to the Esplanade, and met up with Michael (part of the podcast team), and went in at 7am. It was fun high-fiving & fist-bumping the cast members when we went in. I also loved the photo ops.
IMG_8325a.jpg IMG_8314a.jpg

I didn't know there was going to be a DIS meet. Maybe I'll make it to the 70th anniversary DIS meet in ten years time.

We got into Disneyland just before 8am today. I didn't stop to introduce myself, but I believe I saw you and your family sitting on the North side of the castle shortly after 8am.

You may have seen Michael, my daughter, Kelly, and me? We met up with Tom around 8:15 or so by the Plaza Inn.

They were not necessarily the "well-known" ones, like the three dishes in the ballroom scene of the Haunted Mansion. Some seemed pretty obscure to me...and they were scattered among a wide variety of attractions. The clues indicated that the hidden Mickeys are either in the attraction or somewhere in the queue, with a few being out in the open/easy-access areas. The attractions include Roger Rabbit Car-Toon Spin, Mickey's Movie Bar (the Mickey M&G in Toontown), It's a Small World, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Big Thunder, PotC, the train, Space Mtn (queue), Winnie the Pooh, Mater (queue), Sky School (queue), Monsters Inc.

I think the biggest issue is that they aren't necessarily the ones that are clearly deliberately placed Hidden Mickey's. For example, this is one of the clues:

The poster is shown in this entry on the Steve Barett's Hidden Mickey site, but it's not clear if the answer ("a") is the same one he's featuring (which is described as "middle right") and even he describes it as an "approximate" hidden Mickey. I had honestly expected the answers to be the ones that are clearly correctly proportioned (i.e., the ones that you know the Imagineers deliberately placed). I didn't expect them to all be the easy ones that everyone knows, but I figured they'd be mostly ones that a gust would say, "of course!" once they see it and not "I guess that's it" even after seeing it. It's a fun concept, but I don't know if it'll be really popular (i.e., I didn't see a lot of guests carrying around the quest booklet).

Michael did the Hidden Mickey Quest with Carol, and he said that he thought Disney purposely chose Hidden Mickeys that were not easily found on the Internet, and he also thought some of them were a stretch.

IMG_8374a.jpg IMG_8384a.jpg IMG_8385a.jpg

Michael did the Hidden Mickey Quest with Carol, and he said that he thought Disney purposely chose Hidden Mickeys that were not easily found on the Internet, and he also thought some of them were a stretch.
Yeah, I got the same sense that they wanted this to be more of a challenge and distinctly focused on adult guests, but I think they may have make it harder than they anticipated. I don't mind hard Hidden Mickeys being on the quest, but I think the ones that are questionable are less ideal. After having done this quest and the egg hunt, I have to say the egg hunt was a lot more fun. I don't regret doing the quest, but I have to admit that this one was a little frustrating at times and it's not something I would recommend for families with small children (to hard, to may iffy answers, to many on attractions or queues, etc.).

You may have seen Michael, my daughter, Kelly, and me? We met up with Tom around 8:15 or so by the Plaza Inn.

My mistake, I mismatched names and faces from the recent DISUNPLUGGED Disneyland videos. It was Michael Bowling and not Tom that I think I saw sitting by the castle.

I think I had an even closer brush with Michael the next day at California Adventure. I was rushing to join my family in line for the (I think) first Aladdin show, and I almost bumped into Michael leaving the Disney Animation building. Fate must have been trying to make us meet, for some reason. Perhaps next trip...

Last edited:
We did Magic Morning in DL on Tuesday, July 21 ...it was BUSY and we hit 5-10 min lines which quickly grew everywhere we turned! Really made me appreciate what a bonus we got on the 17th with the surprise 7am opening. Rides were a walk-on for quite a while that morning. We did Matterhorn (for the 2nd time) at 7:10am and it was still only a 5 min wait. Later, Finding Nemo at 8ish and it was only a 10 min wait.

7am on the 21st felt much much busier than on the 17th. I'm sure it helped that the WHOLE park was open on the 17th so people weren't concentrated in a few small areas.

My mistake, I mismatched names and faces from the recent DISUNPLUGGED Disneyland videos. It was Michael Bowling and not Tom that I think I saw sitting by the castle.

I think I had an even closer brush with Michael the next day at California Adventure. I was rushing to join my family in line for the (I think) first Aladdin show, and I almost bumped into Michael leaving the Disney Animation building. Fate must have been trying to make us meet, for some reason. Perhaps next trip...

He would have loved to have met you. He, my daughter, Kelly, and I entered the park when Disneyland opened, and after high-fiving the cast members and taking pics we headed to Fantasyland and rode Snow White & Mr. Toads. Then we were hanging out by the castle for awhile, and sat on the benches before going to have breakfast at the Plaza Inn with Tom, Michael's wife, & granddaughter. They were there for the week and until Sunday after the birthday.

Side note - at breakfast we were seated next to Ron Miller & family (Diane Disney Miller's husband, their daughters, and grandchildren), and one of his daughters, Joanna, came up to Michael's wife to say hello. I was sitting there, blinking, and thinking, "Holy cow, Walt Disney's granddaughter came up to the Bowlings to greet THEM!!" :goodvibes It was very cool. He'll be back again for D23. If you are around, please say hi. Some of the Orlando team will be there, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter