Who else is feeling the burn from the Govt shutdown?

DH is a DOJ contractor. They are still open through Jan. 18th. He has some vacation time saved up but it won't last months, but it would mean he'll get paid. My guess is he'll take a combination of some vacation time and leave without pay. That's what he did in 2013. We have a nest egg but want to keep as much in there as possible since his contract is up for rebid this summer and you just never know what will come of that.

Edited to add that at the 11th hour his agency gave an extension March 1 so they can still work. Phew!

Last edited:
Has been interesting trying to track down a family impacted. Most are like you, they KNOW it can happened when you work for the Federal Government so they save money up for when it does happen. If it goes on long enough to actually affect people, then there may be some real effort to end it.
The highly paid employees have the funds to do this and those that live in the parts of the country with a lower cost of living. The average federal employee brings home $500 a week. People in the DC area are suffering and the local governments are trying to assist. It not only affects federal employees. The cafeteria workers, custodians, and other hourly contractors are not working and not getting paid nor will they when it is finally settled. Restaurants near federal buildings are suffering so therefore their employees. The subway system in DC is loosing $900,000 a week. TSA agents here are having to decide between food or gas to get to work. It is definitely impacting the lower paid employees.

Yes, those people are definitely panicking! Just thankful I was raised to be frugal and a saver.
As far as the WDW trip goes if it's stressing you out emotionally or financially cancel it. You have enough on your plate. Tbh it sounds like even with finances flowing as they should it might be stressful to you. Maybe there is a cheaper, closer to home type option you can do for this year instead. (I'm not saying that's the right choice, I'm just saying maybe consider it, only you know what's right for you and your fam :) )

It’s not stressing me out really (the trip), I’m looking forward to it. I have a baby with special needs and that stresses me out the most, especially his hospital and doctor bills. But good news, I got hired for a part time gig today, so can’t wait to start. The wdw trip will be worth it.

Yes, those people are definitely panicking! Just thankful I was raised to be frugal and a saver.

It’s not stressing me out really (the trip), I’m looking forward to it. I have a baby with special needs and that stresses me out the most, especially his hospital and doctor bills. But good news, I got hired for a part time gig today, so can’t wait to start. The wdw trip will be worth it.
Congrats on the job :flower1:

I am sorry for all of you affected. I truly hope its over soon. Wishing all of you the best...

We are in the midwest. I was able to schedule a popular local home improvement guy to work on 2 projects Monday. He had a sudden opening because a big remodel he was scheduled to do got put on hold due to a furloughed homeowner.

I know our long time friends in the DC area are stressed out. It's a mess.

I volunteer for a non profit. I got a call from a family with 2 adults who are both govt workers. They need food. It’s very serious.

Have those of you that are both working in the federal system thought about one person looking for work in the private sector? I think it would be very difficult on a family to have no income coming in without any idea as to when that might change or when it might happen again.

Have those of you that are both working in the federal system thought about one person looking for work in the private sector? I think it would be very difficult on a family to have no income coming in without any idea as to when that might change or when it might happen again.
This is not an easy solution. Even people in the private sector are being affected. If you work for a goverrnment contractor supporting a contract with the federal government in an agency that is not funded, you also do not work. Contractors do not get paid for the time they are not working. This is affecting far more than the federal employees. Employees are working without pay and now have to figure out how they are going to pay their commuting costs. I know many who have to choose between getting to work and eating. Thank goodness so many organizations are setting up food banks to help people feed their families. If you are required to work and do not show up, you are considered AWOL and can be terminated. I can go on and on as I live in the DC area and know many people who this is affecting, including my own daughter who has to go to work everyday.

This is not an easy solution. Even people in the private sector are being affected. If you work for a goverrnment contractor supporting a contract with the federal government in an agency that is not funded, you also do not work. Contractors do not get paid for the time they are not working. This is affecting far more than the federal employees. Employees are working without pay and now have to figure out how they are going to pay their commuting costs. I know many who have to choose between getting to work and eating. Thank goodness so many organizations are setting up food banks to help people feed their families. If you are required to work and do not show up, you are considered AWOL and can be terminated. I can go on and on as I live in the DC area and know many people who this is affecting, including my own daughter who has to go to work everyday.

I was just thinking about this last night. H is a Fed (furloughed, not working) but we know of a couple who are both Feds and impacted. A lot of people online suggest that TSA should do a walkout but Air Traffic Controllers were fired - and banned for life from those positions - for walking out in the 80's. This article is a couple days old but it talks about both striking being illegal and financial reality pushing some people out into the job market*: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/16/us/politics/shutdown-federal-workers-strike.html

One thing I think gets short shrift is that for many people - including my husband - this is his dream job. He has a very specific skillset that very few people in the world have and he's able to use those skills in service to his country. Now, while very few people share his qualifications, thousands applied for his position. He had to beat them all out. Then he had to go through a months long background check with the FBI interviewing his then current employer as well as family, friends, and neighbors. All in I think it took more than six months from start to finish - all with no guarantee he'd be hired (and remember, his then current employer had to be made aware due to the FBI interview which was done close to the start of the process, months before he was able to serve his notice - it was terribly awkward). So, if my husband decides to leave his position, the US government will need to start over from scratch to replace him.

Clearly this doesn't apply for every person or position. If my husband were to seek employment in the interim, he'd have to get permission to do so. I don't know if he's even permitted to quit his job while the shutdown is happening. Side gigs can get pretty complicated to as many Feds need clearance: https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...s-damage-national-security-column/2563858002/ Meanwhile his position also depends on his credit-worthiness (he can't be in financial straits and therefore susceptible to bribery). Finally, the best move for him if he were to move on, would be to take the opposite side and help the people currently facing off against his agency. That's big time money. But it's also dead in the water now due to the shutdown.

My anxiety is growing that this is all being done purposefully as both a distraction and a way to cripple the government. It's also dispiriting. My husband doesn't want to take the other side, he wants to be pursuing those people, not aiding them in getting away with whatever they're doing. Once this is all over though we're going to have to take a hard look at what's the best call for our family. In addition, I had hoped to leave my public sector company once our children are older to work for the government but that now feels like too many eggs in one basket. I realize this is a black swan event but having lived through a few of those now, it doesn't feel so black swan-ish.

*And one note on the jobs market - this may be a short term dip but my own company has gone into a hiring freeze. I haven't seen it this locked down since 2008. So my anecdotal evidence is that we're starting a downturn and unemployment numbers will soon start rising. In short, there won't be a lot of options for these people.

I think you're right about the downturn @Malyficent! I have noticed so many more articles of stores closing, auto plants shutting down, heck I even think I read something about Elon Musk laying off people. They say it takes 6 mos for what's happening now to catch up to the numbers.

I think you're right about the downturn @Malyficent! I have noticed so many more articles of stores closing, auto plants shutting down, heck I even think I read something about Elon Musk laying off people. They say it takes 6 mos for what's happening now to catch up to the numbers.
My sister-in-law works for GM. They aren't closing down plants or eliminating 3rd shift (which they did last year I believe) because of the economy. They are doing it because people aren't buying sedans anymore. They are shifting their focus to suvs and trucks.

As for stores closing...a lot of that isn't due to the economy if you're talking about K-Mart, Sears, Macys, etc. Those are due (edited: corrected word) to shifting consumer behaviors (similar to the GM issue).

Tesla is stopping making their lower cost vehicle so I could see them laying off people for that reason. Unfortunately they couldn't keep up with the demand of the vehicle and I'm sure they found it easier to just shift focus back to their higher cost vehicles.

It is good to have something to look forward to!
Congrats on the part time job.

I volunteer for a non profit. I got a call from a family with 2 adults who are both govt workers. They need food. It’s very serious.

Yes, the people who receive EBT/Food Stamps (or whatever it's called where you live), Pregnant Women (the WIC program), free school lunches, are being impacted starting this month. This includes my mom, who receives EBT. The United Way in our area is really starting to put a push on to donate to those impacted. It wasn't so much an issue at first, but when it starts impacting our poor....

I work for the state of Pennsylvania, so I'm not affected, but I can sympathize. We had late budgets for every year of the Rendell administration and didn't get paid for about six weeks in 2009 (we weren't furloughed, just didn't get paid during the standoff). It became so commonplace that I made sure I saved up a few months salary for the next inevitable budget standoff. I am a firm believer in having savings for emergencies. But the emergency shouldn't be elected officials not doing their jobs and expecting everyone to work and not get paid as a result.

So, my Amazon Prime membership was up for renewal next week...and I canceled it today. I've been on the fence for a few months on whether it's worth it for me, outside of Christmas, so now was as good a time as any to "test drive" if I can live without it. I know I have a better use for $120 for the next few months until this is over, b/c I won't be buying much online anyway...and my family plan phone gives me free Netflix, so I don't need the video services (and I never really used the other services, except the music at Christmas)...

Looking at the bright side, maybe this saves me money in the long run...I was a prime member since the beginning, and maybe its value has gone past me (since the shipping has devalued to bring value elsewhere I don't use)...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter