Which Way Do We Go???

KAK

Earning My Ears
Our family of 5, Myself, DW, DS10, DD8, DS6 are planning a trip in Jan. Are looking at either AKL or WL. Heard about the Deluxe rooms at WL, very appealing because of the extra room. Also debating the Concierge Level at both resorts. Would like to hear your feed back. Which is your favorite

Thanks KAK

There are deluxe rooms at AKL and WL. You can also get bunk beds in place of one of the queen beds. We will be doing this in December. Good luck!

Hi! Just thought I would let you know about our recent experiences.

We were at AKL (standard savannah view) June 1st. We :love: it! There were 4 of us (myself, DH, and 2 DS). Even with a regular room, we found the space to be adequate.

My mom, sister, b-i-l, and 2 nephews were at WL about 2weeks later in a deluxe room. They liked the room. Said they had plenty of room. 2 queens and a sleeper sofa.

I do believe out of the two, we had a better time at AKL. They seemed less than impressed with the WL (but they can be picky at times also).

I cannot say enough good things about AKL. Everything was very clean, the CM's were some of the nicest at Disney, and of course you have animals all around. It is truly a beautiful hotel!!

I personally have never stayed at the WL. Even though my mom and sis didn't seem to enjoy it very much, I would still stay there if given the chance because I know everyone's experiences are different. I'm the kind of person that overlooks a lot of small things and tries to enjoy the overall experience.
They, on the other hand, can focus on one or two small things going wrong and let it overshadow everything else.

:earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy: :dog: :dog: :dog:

Whether you go with a regular/deluxe/concierge room, I'd go with the WL for your family. Since it's one of the MK resorts, it puts you a lot closer to the action than AKL does. With your kids ages you're likely to spend more time in MK, MGM and Epcot than you are at AK, and the transportation from the WL will be a lot faster than from AKL. You'll also get the added benefit of maybe seeing the fireworks from your room and seeing the EWP.

kandmwedding said:
Whether you go with a regular/deluxe/concierge room, I'd go with the WL for your family. Since it's one of the MK resorts, it puts you a lot closer to the action than AKL does. With your kids ages you're likely to spend more time in MK, MGM and Epcot than you are at AK, and the transportation from the WL will be a lot faster than from AKL. You'll also get the added benefit of maybe seeing the fireworks from your room and seeing the EWP.

We have stayed at both, and I have to say that we much prefered AKL. WL was nice enough but we loved having a deluxe Savannah view. We spent a lot of time on the balcony watching the animals. I think I should have gotten a woods view at WL, as I just didn't find our courtyard balcony at WL very private. A bit too close to the pool for me. As for the fireworks, we could hear them from our room at WL, but not see them, we were only on the 2nd floor though. I did request a room on a higher floor but that didn't happen for us.

AKL is a much prettier hotel in my opinion, the fast food place is so much bigger, and has a better range, the swimming pool is much bigger also. Loved the animals, you can watch them from communal areas too if you don't get a Savannah view room. I loved Boma buffet for breakfast and dinner, again that was a lot bigger too. Though I prefered Artist's Point to Jiko, no question.

The transportation is an important consideration. Buses are your only option. It is faster at WL to some places, about the same to others and then obviously further for AK and BB. We were happy with AKL bus service, but it was nice to get to MK from WL so quick on the boat. Plus we could take the boat to Contemporary and then use the monorail which was a big plus for my DS4. As your kids are older, they probably just want to get to the parks as quickly as possible. So I can see why the location is a big con for a lot of people. Though at least at AKL we never had to share buses with another resort (WL buses can stop at GF or Fort Wilderness too, which does add to the travel time) At AKL you can have a long walk from the bus stop back to your room at AKL, there are some very long corridors!

Obviously there are plenty of people that probably disagree with me, but I thought you might like my opinion all the same! Both my DH and me agree that we flet more of a 'wow' factor at AKL, than WL, perhaps if we had gone to WL first that would have been different. I am sure you will have a great time which ever you choose!

Can I just throw a wrench in here? You would HAVE to stay at a deluxe room at either....you can not have 5 in a room in their standard rooms....the deluxe rooms are MUCH more expensive and even more expensive than the monorail standard rooms that do fit five and are larger...

I would HIGHLY recommend Poly or Contemporary (leaning more on the Poly side) but CR does have an arcade and a nice slide...

*Their rooms are bigger than even the deluxe rooms at AKL/WL I believe..they're costs are atleast $50 less a night than those at WL/AKL maybe even $100 a night.

*You are right at the monorail....saves walking for your younger one.

I've stayed at AKL when our youngest of three was crib age and the rooms are dark and not large...the rooms at Poly/CR have 2 queens and a day bed that is very comfortable for any child under 12.

Hope this helps!
Tara

Both are great resorts, and we've stayed at both multiple times. If you've never stayed at the AKL, just do it. There is nothing like it ANYWHERE else in the world. (Ok, maybe somewhere in Africa...)

Others have pointed out that some rooms have a maximum occupancy. Check with both resorts to see which is a better fit for your situation. I've stayed at the Concierge level at the WL, but IMO it isn't necessarily the best use of my $$$. We are a family of 4, and when we travel with my MIL, we either get adjoining rooms with a lockout, or rooms that are very close. We are expecting twins (yikes), so we will soon be a family of 6, which will mean that we will be over conventional max occupancy going forward.

Others have pointed out that they prefer the WL for it's proximity to MK, but it is also on Bay Lake, which gives you access to the campgrounds, boating (water sprites are a good deal for the kids!), fishing, and access to the other MK resorts (GF, Cont, Poly), which have some of the best restaurants on the property. AKL has Jiko and Boma, which are 2 of my favorites, but not for everyone (there's a lot of sunburnt tourists looking at menus saying "What's this?"- makes me laugh.)

AKL has animals. Everywhere. It is very close to the AK park, which makes it convenient to AKL (5 min) and very secluded(no fireworks). As the least visited park, away from the masses, I think it is much more intimate. Sitting quietly on the balconies as giraffes pass your window is sublime, especially knowing that you didn't need to take malaria pills. The AKL is spectacular, but decidedly "low key". If you need to unwind from life, AKL is the better place to do it.

Steve

WL in two weeks! (chose it for a short trip 5 nights vs normally 8-10 nights because of the transportation/proximity. DS7, DD4+me and the Mrs.)

We're going 01/26 thru 02/03 and we booked our room after extensive (and exhaustive) research, others' opinions, and more research...we booked at the WL...we had ruled out AKL (this trip anyway as I would love to stay there at some point) as our DS is 4 and we wanted to be in close proximity to the MK. So then we had it narrowed down to the Poly, WL and Contemporary. I'd finally scratched the Poly and had it down to WL and CR and had decided on CR due to Monorail/location when my BIL/SIL decided they wanted to come but cost was a MAJOR, MAJOR concern...When I priced the CR and WL on WDW's website, they came very close to each other for 8 nights w/passes and dining plan. Just for kicks I had AAA price it and the WL was nearly $800 cheaper!!! Go figure! So we booked the WL, long story short.

One of my "requirements" was that I be able to see the water pagent which can be done at WL and be close to MK. My DH and I ruled out AKL because 1) only mode of transportation is bus - we're a bit leary about being any further away from MK than we have to due to our DS's very small "meltdown window" when he gets tired...wanted to be able to hop on the monorail or a boat and get outta Dodge, so to speak, and 2) DH was concerned about food - it sounded a little too ethnic at AKL for him - he's a meat and potatoes kind of guy and not very brave when it comes to trying new foods.

I've never stayed at either WL or AKL, but looking forward to WL...restaurants sound decent, hotel looks gorgeous, etc...

Good luck!!! :wave2:

Here's my two cents, see if you can find a DVC member to 'rent' you points for a 2 bedroom at any of their resorts (Wilderness Lodge Villas, Beach Club Villas, Boardwalk Villas, Old Key West or Saratoga Springs). Five folks in a room IMHO is cramped and you might get on each others nerves a bit more.

If you can get a 2BR that would give each of your kids their own bed, you get a full kitchen to do meals in (even if just for breakfast it's worth it) and a full size washer/dryer so you 'could' pack less clothes.

lmhall2000 said:
Can I just throw a wrench in here? You would HAVE to stay at a deluxe room at either....you can not have 5 in a room in their standard rooms....the deluxe rooms are MUCH more expensive and even more expensive than the monorail standard rooms that do fit five and are larger...

I would HIGHLY recommend Poly or Contemporary (leaning more on the Poly side) but CR does have an arcade and a nice slide...

*Their rooms are bigger than even the deluxe rooms at AKL/WL I believe..they're costs are atleast $50 less a night than those at WL/AKL maybe even $100 a night.

*You are right at the monorail....saves walking for your younger one.

I've stayed at AKL when our youngest of three was crib age and the rooms are dark and not large...the rooms at Poly/CR have 2 queens and a day bed that is very comfortable for any child under 12.

Hope this helps!
Tara

I completely agree with you, Tara. With a family of 5, I would pick one of the monorail resorts over a deluxe room at AKL or WL.

One of my DH's sister and family stayed in a deluxe room at WL. They had 4 small children at the time and found the rooms to be cramped. There are pictures on allears to give you an idea of those rooms if you haven't already seen them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter