Which is Quicker?

Elle23

DIS Veteran
We want to go back to our resort after having lunch at Teppan Edo.

Is it quicker to walk to Beach Club via the IG and catch an Uber or walk to the front of Epcot and catch a bus?

Thanks!

Edited to clarify...we are staying at All Star Music.

Last edited:
I would do the IG way and just walk to BC, it’s not bad at all. If someone isn’t able to walk that far you can catch the boat at the IG to BC, I’d save on the Uber, in fact not sure where an Uber would even pick you up?

I would do the IG way and just walk to BC, it’s not bad at all. If someone isn’t able to walk that far you can catch the boat at the IG to BC, I’d save on the Uber, in fact not sure where an Uber would even pick you up?

I’m sorry...I wasn’t clear in my question. We are staying at All Star Music. We would Uber from Beach Club to All Star Music.

The quickest way would be the walk to front of beach club and uber from there. The walk to the front of beach club is almost 1/4 mile shorter than to the front of the park. I'd be ordering the uber once you walk out of the IG and he should be there waiting for you when you arrive.

I don't think the time savings is significant but I do think it's quicker.

Screen-Shot-2018-11-16-at-5-40-53-AM.jpg

Screen-Shot-2018-11-16-at-5-41-20-AM.jpg

"I'd be ordering the uber once you walk out of the IG and he should be there waiting for you when you arrive."

If the Uber beats you to the rendezvous point will you be charged for a no-show?

Last edited:
"I'd be ordering the uber once you walk out of the IG and he should be there waiting for you when you arrive."

If the Uber beats you to the rendezvous point will you be charged for a no-show?

When you use uber you can communicate with the driver (by either phone or text)...most will be understandable if you're a minute or two away. The walk from the IG to the front of beach club is about 1/4 mile so if you start the uber process once you've left Epcot you'll be okay. If there is an uber already there and thats the one you pick the worst they will do is cancel the trip when they find out you're a couple of minutes away.

You'll need to make sure you set the pickup point to the front of beach club...it will likely default to your current location so just move the pickup point to where you want them to meet you.

When you use uber you can communicate with the driver (by either phone or text)...most will be understandable if you're a minute or two away. The walk from the IG to the front of beach club is about 1/4 mile so if you start the uber process once you've left Epcot you'll be okay. If there is an uber already there and thats the one you pick the worst they will do is cancel the trip when they find out you're a couple of minutes away.

You'll need to make sure you set the pickup point to the front of beach club...it will likely default to your current location so just move the pickup point to where you want them to meet you.
I think it's rather inconsiderate to request the Uber while you're 5-10 minutes from the pickup point. The driver may agree to wait, but they're getting paid just 8 cents a minute to do so. They may have to circle around to the parking lot until you show up; at some Disney resorts, drivers are not allowed to wait under the porte cochere if the rider is not present.

Thanks for the replies!

I think we will take the Beach Club route just to try something new. We’ve never been out that way before!

The simplest solution is to look at the time estimate for Uber when you're leaving IG - if they are 5 minutes or less away, then request the Uber when you're closer to the front of the resort so you don't make them wait.

By taking the Uber, you'd save yourself maybe 15-20 minutes. Personally, unless I was in a hurry, I'd take a stroll back to the front of the park and just hop on the bus. It would save you $20 and you'd be walking off the big meal you just ate.

I think it's rather inconsiderate to request the Uber while you're 5-10 minutes from the pickup point. The driver may agree to wait, but they're getting paid just 8 cents a minute to do so. They may have to circle around to the parking lot until you show up; at some Disney resorts, drivers are not allowed to wait under the porte cochere if the rider is not present.
I didnt suggest to request an uber 5-10 minutes from the pickup point. I said to start the request when the OP had exited the IG and had less than 1/4 mile to walk. From there, the walk is probably 5-7 minutes. Normally, the process of requesting an uber takes a minute or two and normally they are a few minutes out. So, as previously stated if you choose an uber who will roughly take the same time as you to get there, perfect. If you decide to grab one who is already there or much closer than you, then you've got the ability to reach out to them directly and communicate. At beach club, they are allowed to wait and as always...when excellent service is given it should be met with excellent gratuity.

The quickest way would be the walk to front of beach club and uber from there. The walk to the front of beach club is almost 1/4 mile shorter than to the front of the park. I'd be ordering the uber once you walk out of the IG and he should be there waiting for you when you arrive.

I don't think the time savings is significant but I do think it's quicker.

Screen-Shot-2018-11-16-at-5-40-53-AM.jpg
Side note - which app/site are you using for the maps?

I didnt suggest to request an uber 5-10 minutes from the pickup point. I said to start the request when the OP had exited the IG and had less than 1/4 mile to walk. From there, the walk is probably 5-7 minutes.

There doesn't seem to be an appreciable difference between the "5-10" minutes misconception, and the " 5-7" minutes being advocated.

A rideshare driver is 100% in compliance with company policy by cancelling a ride for which the rider isn't waiting - thus incurring the cancellation fee.

So, as previously stated if you choose an uber who will roughly take the same time as you to get there, perfect. If you decide to grab one who is already there or much closer than you, then you've got the ability to reach out to them directly and communicate.
I haven't used the app in a while. Does it let you choose a driver now?

Side note - which app/site are you using for the maps?

Thats a website called MapMyRun....then I just grabbed screenshots.

There doesn't seem to be an appreciable difference between the "5-10" minutes misconception, and the " 5-7" minutes being advocated.

I guess it's a matter of opinion and semantics but I think their is quite a big difference between requesting an uber 10 minutes before you arrive at the pickup location and starting to request an uber 5 minutes before you're at the pickup location. That 5 minutes is likely the difference in having your ride cancelled or not. Again...you have the ability to communicate with the driver which I advocated in my second post. IF you chose an uber that is at the pickup location already or will arrive before you (by a couple of minutes) reach out to them and talk to them. Tell them the situation and expect to meet above standard service with above standard gratuities. Ive never had a ride cancelled on me for this...in fact, the only two times I ever have is (1) in the Phillippines when the driver apparently became hungry and decided to stop for dinner and (2) in London when a parade literally blocked the road I was supposed to cross to get to the driver.

The service industry isn't complicated...communicate, have reasonable expectations, ask questions if you don't know a process, be courteous use common sense and tip accordingly.

I haven't used the app in a while. Does it let you choose a driver now?
Sorry, that was kind of clear as mud. What I meant was...lets say you've pulled out your phone and you're not even to the bridge yet and there is an uber sitting in the circle at beach club....just don't order it at that exact moment. Wait till your closer and order another one (or that one once you're alot closer).It shows you where the cars are when your request goes out so it's usually likely that the closest one will take it if possible.

I guess maybe I made some assumptions (like the OP was in a hurry, didnt have someone disabled or extremely elderly with them, etc) and that their pace would be brisk which is why they were asking about what was quicker. Maybe I guestimated walking times and was off by 60 seconds here or there but if it's a sticking point, we can look into it a little further.

The walk from the IG is roughly .28 miles. Walking at a pace of 20:00/miles thats 5:36 seconds from the IG exit to the traffic circle at Beach Club. So, if thats is when the uber is confirmed you're looking at 5 minutes and 36 seconds (at a 20:00/mile pace) until you can get to the circle.

But, I suggested to start the request process once you've exited the IG, not before.

Screen-Shot-2018-11-17-at-6-30-47-AM.jpg

Now, lets say you've waited until the top of the bridge to "confirm" the uber. Now, you're .18 mi way from the circle. Walking at a 20:00/mi pace that walk will take you 3 minutes and 36 seconds.

Screen-Shot-2018-11-17-at-6-31-32-AM.jpg

The walk from the IG to the top of the bridge is roughly .10/mi which would take you 2 minutes walking at a 20:00/mi pace and most people can complete an uber request in less than two minutes.

I'd suggest pulling out your phone once you've exited the IG and selecting an uber close to beach club. If they arrive before you do, reach out to them and tell them how close you are. If it takes you 30 seconds to confirm an uber you've got 5 minutes (assuming your phone is in your hand once you've exited the park) and most ubers will be a couple of minutes away so in most scenarios you should both be arriving roughly at the same time.

But, I suggested to start the request process once you've exited the IG, not before.
Still, based on reiterated statements in the Everythiing About Über/Lyft thread, requesting a rideshare should not be done until one is at the pickup point, ready to be picked up.

Instead of potentially wasting a driver's time and risking a cancellation fee, leave a little earlier.

Still, based on reiterated statements in the Everythiing About Über/Lyft thread, requesting a rideshare should not be done until one is at the pickup point, ready to be picked up.

The previous poster was saying that one could start the process of ordering the Uber while en route to the pickup point. To PP's point, it can take a minute and several "clicks" through the app before you get to the point where it actually sends a request out to driver's to accept. There's no harm in getting that all set up before you reach the pickup point, and then once at the pickup point, selecting that "request" button that the drivers receive. Even if the driver is very close, it still takes a good a minute or two for the request to be accepted and the driver to get going.

The previous poster was saying that one could start the process of ordering the Uber while en route to the pickup point. To PP's point, it can take a minute and several "clicks" through the app before you get to the point where it actually sends a request out to driver's to accept. There's no harm in getting that all set up before you reach the pickup point, and then once at the pickup point, selecting that "request" button that the drivers receive. Even if the driver is very close, it still takes a good a minute or two for the request to be accepted and the driver to get going.
While i agree wjth what you are advising and which makes perfect sense, the PP ultimately advised to complete the process
I'd suggest pulling out your phone once you've exited the IG and selecting an uber close to beach club. If they arrive before you do, reach out to them and tell them how close you are
then hoping the timing works.

While i agree wjth what you are advising and which makes perfect sense, the PP ultimately advised to complete the process then hoping the timing works.

Gotcha. I missed that, after reading the subsequent posts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter