Where to start with DVC?

No deposit to join a wait list...wait list is in fact more of an informal list the Disney reps hold and look to meet what you are looking for. Some locations are closed to wait list or at least they say they are. When I had an issue trying to get points at a particular resort (VGF) I was told there was no wait list. After some time and a discussion with a supervisor he put me on his "secret wait list". The next week I had the points I was looking for.

Thank you!

That said, I know CCV and Aulani are the available new contracts now - but if we wanted to get waitlisted to buy a direct contract for the other resorts, what is required up front? Do you put a deposit down to join the waitlist, and what are some firsthand experiences with the process?
A new DVC (Riviera) was announced last year, and as they’re due to open Fall 2019, details will likely arrive shortly. If you are intent on buying direct, you may wish to factor that into your decision once more details are revealed. Prices will be higher by the time Riviera becomes available to purchase.

A new DVC (Riviera) was announced last year, and as they’re due to open Fall 2019, details will likely arrive shortly. If you are intent on buying direct, you may wish to factor that into your decision once more details are revealed. Prices will be higher by the time Riviera becomes available to purchase.

Yep I'm aware of that one as well as the new resort announced for the old River Country property. I fully expect that with each new resort, direct prices will go up, which is why we're seriously considering it now, but have to weigh whether current member benefits would actually make direct make sense. If we dive into DVC we will also get AP's though I've heard that the meal discounts for DVC aren't much different than those you get with TiW so I've got to crunch the numbers.

They are, in large part, 50% less than TIW. They also exclude adult libations.

http://allears.net/wp-content/uploads/archive/pl/disc_dining.pdf
http://mouseperks.com/

Thanks! So from what I can tell, the only real benefit (based on current plans subject to change) of DVC membership is the discounted AP's and the DVC member events? If we bought DVC we wouldn't be looking to use points for any cruises or Adventures vacations, it would strictly be for WDW trips.

If that's the case, it makes the cost evaluation a bit easier. TiW is kind of a no brainer if we're going to be there more often, so it's really only a balance of what the AP's would cost us vs buying at regular price.

Thanks! So from what I can tell, the only real benefit (based on current plans subject to change) of DVC membership is the discounted AP's and the DVC member events? If we bought DVC we wouldn't be looking to use points for any cruises or Adventures vacations, it would strictly be for WDW trips.

If that's the case, it makes the cost evaluation a bit easier. TiW is kind of a no brainer if we're going to be there more often, so it's really only a balance of what the AP's would cost us vs buying at regular price.

The member events are not worth buying direct for. They aren't necessary announced so that you can get a reservation to attend them. We went to the member event for AK and found it really limited - very long lines for the few attractions that were open, marginal food. And I doubt they'll do those for more than a year or two.

We haven't needed APs (I think I've had one once) because we generally don't spend that much time a year at Disney - but when we bought park hoppers were discounted and APs weren't - which fit our needs better. Since about a year or two after we bought, there hasn't been a workable ticket discount for how we travel. Just a warning that things with Disney change - sometimes literally overnight.

The member events are not worth buying direct for. They aren't necessary announced so that you can get a reservation to attend them. We went to the member event for AK and found it really limited - very long lines for the few attractions that were open, marginal food. And I doubt they'll do those for more than a year or two.

We haven't needed APs (I think I've had one once) because we generally don't spend that much time a year at Disney - but when we bought park hoppers were discounted and APs weren't - which fit our needs better. Since about a year or two after we bought, there hasn't been a workable ticket discount for how we travel. Just a warning that things with Disney change - sometimes literally overnight.

Thanks - I'm coming to the realization that the DVC member benefits aren't really all they're cracked up to be, at least not for the way my family would benefit from perks. That makes the decision to go resale a bit easier! I can't see that saving $150 per AP (even assuming $150 savings per pass per year X 15 years - if nothing changes LOL) is going to be more than the savings we'd get from buying in the resale market, even more so if it means we can get the resort we want.

I just wanted to address your comment about wanting to pool points.

You can't call up DVC and say "Use 15 points from my account and 15 points from Joe Smith's account and reserve us a 2-bedroom for September 15." Similarly, you can't call up and say "My buddy Joe Smith has a 1-bedroom reserved, use points from my account to upgrade it to a 2 bedroom."

Points from two members' accounts can't be combined that way. Your points are yours and their points are theirs. If you want to share vacations with your friends, here are some ways you might do it:

1) You and your friend can make back-to-back reservations. In other words, if you want to stay together in a 2-bedroom villa for 6 nights, you make a reservation for the first three nights, they make a reservation for the next three nights. You can let Member Services know that you're traveling together, so they can link the reservations and minimize the chance that you'll have to switch rooms.

2) You're allowed one transfer of points into or out of your account per year. So, you could transfer 100 points into your friend's account, and he can then make the reservation. Or vice-versa. Keep in mind that you can only do that once per year. If you were planning multiple trips in a year, that won't work for you.

The other option is that you make reservations - banking and borrowing - for year one and they do year two.

There is a whole 'nother kettle of fish involved in traveling with friends and/or family. What if you agree to take them on year one, and in year two they decide they are going to take his sister's family? What if you plan to do this year after year - doing back to back reservations - and after three years they get burned out on Disney and decide to sell their points? Be cautious of long term plans that are dependent on other people - even spouses. Make sure you buy enough points to meet the needs of you and your family without your friends - and that you don't buy more points than you need on the assumption that others are going to pitch in over the long term on the payments and use.

I'd start even earlier.

Is DVC right for you?

1. Do your travel patterns match those of timeshare usage - you will use DVC points at DVC resorts at least every other year. (In theory, you can go every three years, but its tougher to make work).

2. Your planning patterns fit DVC. You can book ahead by at least seven months.

3. You are happy to stay at the resort you bought into. While its possible to book another resort subject to availability, you may be disappointed in the amount of availability.

4. You can work with and understand DVC cancellation policies, point expiration and banking and borrowing. Cancelling DVC is rough and the situations can get complex (if you are further than 31 days out, the points go back in your account, but if you are past your banking window, they still need to be used that use year. If you borrowed any points, you can't return them to the next year. So if you have an April use year and you cancel a January trip in December more than 30 days out, you really only have December, January, Feb and March to use those points. If your availability to get vacation time and DVC availability on short notice don't match - bye bye points. And if you are less than 30 days out - good luck.)

5. You are happy with a timeshare and not a hotel. That's things like you'll have one bed and a sleeper sofa in a studio and no daily housekeeping. Checkin isn't until 4pm (you might get it earlier - you might get in later) and there is no late checkout. You will not be eligible while staying on points for deals like "free dining"

6. You can afford DVC - its a lot of money to tie up in a luxury purchase - and the additional expenses of regular Disney trips can get expensive. While Disney will try and sell you DVC by saying you can save money, many owners here believe they spend more, but get more value out of it. Disney should be fun, not a financial burden. And when the bills are coming in for college tuition or daycare or a sixteen year old's car insurance or needing a new car, it can be a financial burden.

7. You are willing to spend more than you'd spend at a value or offsite. DVC is not the cheapest way to do Disney.

8. You've evaluated owning vs. renting DVC points and deciding that owning is a better plan for you.

9. You are not buying to use your points to cruise or do ABD trips or trade out - those options tend to be expensive and you are generally better off paying cash.

There is probably more, but the first step to a successful evaluation is figuring out if its right for you. There is really a narrow band of people its perfect for - a wider band that it works for, but it certainly isn't the right fit for everyone - even rabid WDW fans.
I always enjoy these analyses!
In general, I think these are 9 good criteria. Each individual's assessment will probably be tailored slightly, based on their unique circumstances, and I encourage prospective new buyers to develop their own list and diligently assess the "pros and cons" before buying. This list is just one shy of a "Top 10" list, so I would offer this additional thought in consideration for item number 10. -
Do you have the patience to reap the benefits of ownership over a 7-10 year period?
Up-front costs are a big hurdle for DVC purchases, and sometimes that big ticket entry fee discourages would-be buyers, and could cause them to miss out on an opportunity. It took us well into year 3 to become familiar with all things DVC, and to learn how to better manage our points and our trips. It also took us the better part of those same 3 years to recover from the financial impact, but we are so glad we did it. I appreciate that many don't look to DVC as a way to "save" on WDW vacations, but based on my own expenditure tracking I determined that we reached a breakeven point in year 7, and we are now adding to that savings each year and, in retrospect, we are always wishing we had bought more points at that initial price !
For any who go through their individual analysis and determine DVC is a good purchase, I encourage you to buy as many points as you possibly can. You may very well end up regretting it later if you skimp on the total points and have to add-on at higher prices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter