where to sit on airplane

Locknload82

Earning My Ears
Ok, this is a dumb question, but I havent flown very much. We will be flying to Orlando on Southwest Airlines, I understand there is no reserved seating. So when we get on the plane and we have our choice of seats, where is the best place to sit? I would think the middle would be best, but in front of the wing, over it or behind it? Is the ride or noise any better or worse in one place?

Your best choice will be in the front of the airplane. For the following reasons: 1. On arrival you are closer to the exit of the plane. You can exit much quicker when your seat is in the front. 2. There will be more noise in the back. 3. If they serve you something, they will start in the front with the service round.
Why do you think the first and buisness class seats are allways in the front of the plane?
Yet another tip. If you want a window seat, manage that you don't get a seat where you look at one of the wings. There your view is blocked because of the wing.

Marcel.

>Originally posted by Locknload82
>Ok, this is a dumb question, but I havent flown very much. We >will be flying to Orlando on Southwest Airlines, I understand >there is no reserved seating. So when we get on the plane and >we have our choice of seats, where is the best place to sit? I >would think the middle would be best, but in front of the wing, >over it or behind it? Is the ride or noise any better or worse in >one place?

I would have to say a little in front of the wing is better, from my experiences. The more behind the wing you are, the more noise you are going to hear from the engines. Hope this helps. Enjoy your vacation.

Maria

First, Locknload82 - there are no dumb questions, there are only questions :)

Second. My personal preference is to sit on the aisle. I like to drink a lot of (non-alcoholic) beverages because tiredness is one of the 1st signs of dehydration. Travel is tiring, but you can minimize this feeling by drinking a lot of water. Unfortunately, this will result in more trips to the smallest room on the plane ;) and it is easier to get there from an aisle seat.

I think the noise level is the same at every seat - LOUD! :teeth:

Hi,
I've never flown on Southwest, but Spirit Airlines (out of Atlantic City) doesn't offer reserved seating either. But they do issue assigned seats on the boarding pass upon checking in at the airport. It's only at that time, if we're early enough, we can request a specific area to be seated in.

Does Southwest actually allow folks to board the plane and sit wherever they want?

The quieter seats tend to be towards the front of the plane. Over the wing you tend to get the noise when the landing gear goes up and down, which really isn't a big thing and also when the slats and flaps go up and down around take off and landing. The rear of the plane can be a little louder than the front since you are behind the engines, unless you are on a 727/DC-9 (which Southwest doesn't fly) where the engines are at the very rear of the plane. The only problem with the seats in the front are that most people like them and they usually go first... ;)

I flew Southwest in October to FL, and this is how it worked then:

When you check in at the gate, you are given a boarding pass with an A, B or C on it. If you are among the first to check in for that flight, you get an A, and the later you check in, you're likely to get a C......your boarding pass may also have a checkerboard border across the bottom - that wins you a baggage search.

When boarding starts, the A group boards first, and you do get to sit wherever you like. The B group boards 2nd, and C last.

If you want a particular seat, it behooves you to check in early so you're in the A group :smooth:

Good luck!

I think it depends on who is in your party. If you are travelling with small kids and will need longer to get settled in, the polite thing to do is sit in the rear of the plane so you can move around getting the kids settled in without holding up the boarding process. If your kids are older or used to flying, then whereever you feel comfortable, I prefer the front of the plane.

Anne

We pretty much fly Spirit to Orlando. When we check-in we get our seat assignments. We are a family of 4 and we have all sat together. We have found that by letting families with children board first tens to be more chaotic. Why let those little ones sit there any longer than they have to? We usually wait until the end of boarding. The kids don't mind and our seats are waiting for us. We never seem to check-in early enough to get those seats in front of the wings. Doesn't matter to me as long as I get there!!

We shoot for the back 1/3 of the plane.

1. Everyone else is trying to sit up front and there are usually plenty of window & isle seats back there.

2. Closer to the rear rest room. You can not wait outside the front one anymore due to security regulations.

3. Serving drinks start at several points, usually 3, so the time to get served is about the same.

4. Getting off takes longer, yes. But everyones bags get to baggage claim in no particular order.

I mean, we would take 4 nearby seats up front if availible. Do not like to sit over the wing as nothing to see outside, but we are also happy with the back.

>[4. Getting off takes longer, yes. But everyones bags get to >baggage claim in no particular order.

OK Here you are right, but if you are flying on an international flight into the USA the quicker you can exit the plane, the quicker you can go through immigrations. This can be very important if you have a connecting flight.

Marcel.

I hate the back, especially on planes with engines mounted on the tail or near the tail. The noise can be deafening. Plus, I can never put this out of my mind.

SWA flies only 737's so that tragedy would not be an issue on one of their planes. And, that is the airline the OP was asking the questions about. The story was about an MD 88. The engines on a Boeing 737 are on the wing.

Originally posted by ducklite
I think it depends on who is in your party. If you are travelling with small kids and will need longer to get settled in, the polite thing to do is sit in the rear of the plane so you can move around getting the kids settled in without holding up the boarding process. If your kids are older or used to flying, then whereever you feel comfortable, I prefer the front of the plane.

Anne

I agree that ANYONE who needs longer to get settled should take advantage of pre-boarding, if allowed, or do whatever they can to minimize the interference of other passengers. I gently object to Anne's targeting of families with small children as I have spent much more time waiting on business travelers who refuse to check anything search for room in the overheads.

If you have assigned seats, I agree that it is best to wait as long as possible with young kids before boarding. BUT, with Southwest, it is best to pre-board and get choice seats, which for us is the "lounge" area right in front so the whole family can sit together.

Peggy

You can have an uncontained engine failure on just about any kind of plane and it can cause damage or injury in the cabin (or worse.) Luckily is an extrememly rare occurance. Two such instances of engine issues were Flt. 191 in Chicago, the American DC-10 whose engine fell off on take off and the United Flight that crash landed in Iowa again a DC-10, but there are others. Not to bring doom and gloom into this, but just wanted to show another side.

If you have assigned seats, I agree that it is best to wait as long as possible with young kids before boarding. BUT, with Southwest, it is best to pre-board and get choice seats, which for us is the "lounge" area right in front so the whole family can sit together.

those lounge seats will soon be a thing of the past. They are redoing all the planes and those seats are not part of the "redo".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter