Where do you think DVC resale prices are headed?

There's a lot of descriptions for Disney Vacation Club Timeshare but the best? There are many accommodations around that are better

I think the reference is with the thought that someone rarely or never goes to the parks but goes to Orlando and stays DVC? Not someone who over the course of ownership skips the parks after several years once every decade. We own DVC because we like the parks and to stay onsite close to them and for that we enjoy the resorts. Never would own it otherwise though.

Perhaps it was me who misinterpreted others. However, I do like the Disney touches available at the resorts, which at times are enough to make me not miss going to the parks during a particular stay. While it maybe less so now than before, some DVC resorts offer themes that are typically not available at other timeshares (ie: the savanna at AKV). Maybe I am in the minority, but I very much enjoyed my stays at AUL and HHI, which are no where near any Disney parks.

LAX

Maybe I am in the minority, but I very much enjoyed my stays at AUL and HHI, which are no where near any Disney parks.

LAX
AUL isn’t like any other WDW resort though. AUL was built as a destination hotel. Without the parks DVC @WDW dos not offer a lot.

I obviously like that the resorts are close to the parks, but I also like how they feel like a resort.

The other timeshare places that I have stayed at (Reunion, Vistana, Orange Lake...) are all much cheaper, but they are massive complexes. I dont want to have to walk 10 minutes down the road with cars passing me in my bathing suit to get to a pool. I don’t want to have to drive my car to get to the lobby.

I love that when we have stayed at our DVC (so far Poly, BCV, AKV)...it feels more like a hotel/resort than a timeshare.

From the research I have done, most of the negatives with traditional timeshares is that unlike DVC, they loose most of their value almost instantly.
That can work both ways though. It's a bad thing for the person who originally bought from the developer. It is a great thing for the person who buys from that person! I own five timeshares, and my total cost to acquire all five was less than $4K. Three of those I've owned for a decade+, and the other two we just bought last year. We've had some fantastic vacations with them.

All of mine are in perpetuity, but that doesn't bother me. As observed up thread, many will dissolve through "natural causes". Those that don't can be inherited (if one of my kids wants one), but they don't have to be. They are not required to inherit them and can be disclaimed instead.

I obviously like that the resorts are close to the parks, but I also like how they feel like a resort.

The other timeshare places that I have stayed at (Reunion, Vistana, Orange Lake...) are all much cheaper, but they are massive complexes. I dont want to have to walk 10 minutes down the road with cars passing me in my bathing suit to get to a pool. I don’t want to have to drive my car to get to the lobby.

I love that when we have stayed at our DVC (so far Poly, BCV, AKV)...it feels more like a hotel/resort than a timeshare.
To be fair, SSR and OKW are a lot more like Vistana than they are BCV. On the other hand, Wyndham Bonnet Creek has that resort/hotel vibe vs. the more condo-oriented one.

As it happens, I like both the condo-style and the hotel-style, but for different reasons.

Reactions: cm8
To be fair, SSR and OKW are a lot more like Vistana than they are BCV. On the other hand, Wyndham Bonnet Creek has that resort/hotel vibe vs. the more condo-oriented one.

As it happens, I like both the condo-style and the hotel-style, but for different reasons.

Yes, but even when I stayed at SSR, it was (or at least felt?) much more compact than the other timeshares I've stayed at and I preferred it to those. The pools were nicely themed and the lobby/quick service was easy to access. It's not my favourite DVC but it did have its own appeal, especially being in walking distance to Disney Springs. I have never stayed at Bonnet Creek though, so maybe that is the sweet spot for someone wanting a resort-feel but not wanting to pay DVC prices.

OKW was $62 pp when we bought in 1996. We are watching prices in order to add on one or two contracts (maybe more). It's funny as we get closer to retirement, we've been around and around with buying a condo in FL but have decided we were "home" at Disney anyway. Spending a month or two in the winter at WDW is perfect for us as our son and DIL love it too. We planned to add on this year before this crisis hit, now we may be able to purchase a larger contract(s). OKW still works best for us for a long stay as parking is right outside the door, however other resorts are still an option. There are so many loaded contracts but so few Oct UY...

OKW was $62 pp when we bought in 1996. We are watching prices in order to add on one or two contracts (maybe more). It's funny as we get closer to retirement, we've been around and around with buying a condo in FL but have decided we were "home" at Disney anyway. Spending a month or two in the winter at WDW is perfect for us as our son and DIL love it too. We planned to add on this year before this crisis hit, now we may be able to purchase a larger contract(s). OKW still works best for us for a long stay as parking is right outside the door, however other resorts are still an option. There are so many loaded contracts but so few Oct UY...
I can relate -- I retire in December and DVC is our SnowBird Plan. We bought SSR in 2011, and it took me til Feb, 2020 to find the "perfect" SSR contract and Use Year. I just Closed on 225 more SSR points, and we now have enough for 5-6 weeks there every winter. I will be watching to see how low prices go, as we couldd happily extend our snow-birding into March every year, for the right deal. Good Luck, and we definitely will be one of your DVC neighbors in Winter! What Stae do you reside in now?

We're in New Hampshire. We love it in the summer, not so much in the winter... This is a great opportunity to buy more contracts and good timing for your December retirement - congrats!
We're hoping for an annual January and February stay... Yes, we'll be Disney :love: neighbors in a couple years (DH would do it this year, but Momma said "no")! Can't wait! See you there!

I would love DVC to be part of my retirement plan, and go there for a month or two each Winter. I am a long way from retirement but if prices drop enough I would like to pick up a significant amount of points. Right now we usually go to WDW as a group of 6, so it would be great to be able to get a 2-bedroom for a week or more each year.

Perhaps it was me who misinterpreted others. However, I do like the Disney touches available at the resorts, which at times are enough to make me not miss going to the parks during a particular stay. While it maybe less so now than before, some DVC resorts offer themes that are typically not available at other timeshares (ie: the savanna at AKV). Maybe I am in the minority, but I very much enjoyed my stays at AUL and HHI, which are no where near any Disney parks.

LAX

We like Aulani too. It's not to difficult to see that the offsite reflects in resale pricing though, and even direct, because they don't have the plus of location that the onsite resorts do.

AUL isn’t like any other WDW resort though. AUL was built as a destination hotel. Without the parks DVC @WDW dos not offer a lot.

They did end up having to do some significant changes from what they originally built which was much more in line with onsite resorts other than the improved pool and slides. When we first visited they were in the midst of those updates to make it a better suited to guests who were going to spend a lot of time at the resort and I think that was less than 2 years from when it opened?

We're in New Hampshire. We love it in the summer, not so much in the winter... This is a great opportunity to buy more contracts and good timing for your December retirement - congrats!
We're hoping for an annual January and February stay... Yes, we'll be Disney :love: neighbors in a couple years (DH would do it this year, but Momma said "no")! Can't wait! See you there!
Looking forward to it! We're Marylanders, so we have better Crabs, and you have better Lobster :thumbsup2
ET:darth:

My 100pt AKV for $109 passed ROFR Jan 14, 2020. Asking was $119. Has 100 points 2020 and on. This is still inline with what I’m seeing on the market now.

I recall direct with incentives in the $88/pt range and I believe resales could be found in the mid $70's although there's never been a lot of them.
That $88 price was black Friday 2011 IIRC. The same special and pricing that was running for BLT but you also got developer points. Seemed very weird to me that the only DL DVC resort was priced lower than BLT. And WDW has so many DVC resorts. Best DVC point appreciation I have for direct purchase points.

Followed the advice of Warren Buffet when we bought then "be fearful when others are greedy and be greedy when others are fearful."

4/25 update

number of newly posted resale contracts at about 30% of average

facebook twitter