Where do you buy your checks?

I think the pace of irrelevance for non electronic payments is exponential. Each year that goes by accelerates the demise.

Non traditional banking is working very hard to court those who have shunned traditional banking.

In this thread many have pointed out how expensive accepting credit cards is for a business. No one has mentioned the expenses associated with accepting cash. Time lost counting cash, time for creating deposits, maintaining change on hand, employee theft, etc.

All payment methods have costs, electronic methods are lower.

https://www.cashtechcurrency.com/bl...osts-you-more-cash-payments-vs.-card-payments

Studies have also shown that people are more likely to make impulse purchases when presented with multiple payment choices. Small businesses only taking checks and cash are not seeing the big picture and are living in the past.

Yes. The Police here are working very hard here with the Asian community in particular to get them to embrace banks, traditional or non-traditional. Huge issue with home invasion robberies because of the cash they keep at home. I do not advocate that.
I guess the costs of cash are hidden to merchants, because the high cost of electronic transactions are what many cite as the reason for not accepting them.

Well, I am in California and we have funny laws. Under California Labor Code 213 you have a right to get a check. The one thing I don't get with Direct Deposit. They still send you the same paper work, AND the check, the check just has "Funds Direct Deposited, Non-Negotiable" printed on it. Doesn't seem they are saving any money.

We do not get that either- your money gets deposited into your bank account and you can log onto the employee site and look at your "pay stub" -hours, overtime, deductions etc....

We do not get that either- your money gets deposited into your bank account and you can log onto the employee site and look at your "pay stub" -hours, overtime, deductions etc....

Same here with both my husband and I. He got a paper pay stub up until a few years ago but now can log in to a website to see it.

I didn't know people used checks anymore! Lol! Seriously though out of curiosity what does one use checks for now days? Everything is done electronically now that I know of.

For us - our monthly homeowner's association dues, town water bill, town dog license fee, snow plowing contract, and lawn fertilization service. There's random things from time to time as well, but these are the things we regularly write checks for. Smaller service companies and smaller towns like ours aren't always automated enough to accept ACH transfers, and a lot of independently owned service companies won't accept credit cards due to processing fees. If we didn't write checks for these things, I guess the only other options would be to get a money order or cashier's check which would require a stop at a convenience store/bank and cost money each time as well.

I still write checks for things kid related. I would prefer not too but for certain things they only accept checks. I buy them through Checks in the Mail.

My bank lets me order a box or two of checks for free per year, which is WAY more checks than i need.

My daughter's daycare only accepts checks or cash. So her "tuition", pictures, fundraisers, etc all are paid for by check.
Consignment sales are starting to get on board with accepting cards but up until this year I used checks for those.
Then there is the random check here or there.

I ordered new checks a couple of months ago. I ordered through Bradford Exchange Checks since they had a design I liked and had a good deal going on.

I find that contractors/tradesman frequently do not take credit cards. I had to write a check recently to a guy who installed a fence. He's a great contractor, I'm not going to refuse to use him because he doesn't want to take CCs. I'll write another check next month to a roofer, who does take CCs, but gives you a 2% discount if you write a check. he doesn't want to pay the CC fee, neither do I, so I'll write a check.

I'm meeting with a carpenter about some cabinet work this week. I fully expect he'll prefer checks over credit cards

For merchants who sells goods, I agree, it's pretty rare to refuse credit cards and they probably lose business as a result. For services though (especially costly ones), I think it's still much more common

I was thinking about this thread this week. I wrote a very rare cheque to a non profit organization for a sweatshirt and its been 2 weeks and they have yet to cash it. It's driving me crazy to have this uncashed cheque! I'm so not use to this archaic process.

Just reinforces how much I appreciate how progressive the Canadian banking system is that we have moved away from this outdated forms of payment so many years ago. I just can't believe people still use them. I was shocked that credit card payment wasn't an option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter