Where do you buy your checks?

I get checks at my bank, they last a long time.

For us, anything school related is paid with a check (public school and college) because both charge 3% or more to use a card. Grrr. The college one really ticks me off because my payments are NOT small, and they still want to charge the fee. So, they get a paper check.
Property taxes also paid by check. And, We also write checks to the guy who does our auto repairs.
I think that's about it for us, but there are still plenty of (typically older) people around here who write checks at the grocery store, etc.

I ran a day care until about 5 years ago. I took checks or cash. :) Nearly all payments were by check, cash was rare. Only one bounced over the years, and they had to pay the penalty fee plus all future payments in cash per my contract if they wanted to continue bringing their child. Not a big deal.

Just thought of ONE more thing that required a check (today). I am renewing my passport by mail. Only option was a check.
Or you can pay in person and pay cash. The court house where i get mine will charge extra for a credit card.

See my post. A small rebellion by small business owners tired with what it costs them for the "rewards" we get with credit cards, etc.

I rarely deal with these types of businesses but I will pay them with cash, and if they don't take cash payments, I will reluctantly send them a money order.

I rarely deal with these types of businesses but I will pay them with cash, and if they don't take cash payments, I will reluctantly send them a money order.

I really think the "rewards cards" are getting to the point of triggering a backlash. Merchants raise prices to cover the rewards percentage they have to pay, then customers get mad at the prices. Sort of like what happened in the early 80's with the warehouse grocery stores and generic products. It may be cycling back into fashion.

I really think the "rewards cards" are getting to the point of triggering a backlash. Merchants raise prices to cover the rewards percentage they have to pay, then customers get mad at the prices. Sort of like what happened in the early 80's with the warehouse grocery stores and generic products. It may be cycling back into fashion.

They shouldn't be raising prices. The ease of use that comes with pulling out a credit/debit card generates more business for these companies. If customers were forced to write a check or pay cash everytime they went to the store, they wouldn't go to the store nearly as much. I know I wouldn't.

They shouldn't be raising prices. The ease of use that comes with pulling out a credit/debit card generates more business for these companies. If customers were forced to write a check or pay cash everytime they went to the store, they wouldn't go to the store nearly as much. I know I wouldn't.

If.......and I have no proof it does.......generate more business, it does so at higher cost per transaction.

If.......and I have no proof it does.......generate more business, it does so at higher cost per transaction.

I'm sure there is a higher cost per transaction but the increased business (there were studies done about this decades again when stores started to allow card purchases) offsets the higher cost per transaction.

I'm sure there is a higher cost per transaction but the increased business (there were studies done about this decades again when stores started to allow card purchases) offsets the higher cost per transaction.
Given that businesses are dropping credit cards, clearly it isn't offsetting the additional cost.

Or the ones that are dropping CC's are just fledgling businesses that aren't going to survive no matter what.
The ones closest to my house have been in business longer than the 34 years I have lived here. I think they discovered if you have a quality produce and quality service, you can stipulate cash only.

The ones closest to my house have been in business longer than the 34 years I have lived here. I think they discovered if you have a quality produce and quality service, you can stipulate cash only.

You have to grow with time. Cash is becoming less and less relevant. Checks have been becoming less and less relevant for years. The pace for both becoming pointless is accelerating with technology.

If won’t be long before all payments are electronic only.

I buy my checks through Walmart. They're really affordable, and you can customize them (so obviously I have Disney checks). Sure, I rarely write checks - just for paying rent, really.

Just thought of ONE more thing that required a check (today). I am renewing my passport by mail. Only option was a check.

Not an option here in Canada unless it's certified.

Apply in person and pay by:
  • Credit card or prepaid card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express)
  • Debit card (INTERAC® Online)
  • Certified cheque or money order (postal or bank) in Canadian funds, made payable to the "Receiver General for Canada". The exact fee must be specified.
Passport offices do not accept cash or personal cheques. Receiving agents (Service Canada and Canada Post) will accept cash (exact change only) but will not accept personal cheques.

Apply by mail, and pay by filling out the payment section on your application form with a:
  • Visa, MasterCard, American Express credit card (prepaid cards are accepted)
  • Certified cheque or money order (postal or bank) included with your application in Canadian funds, made payable to the "Receiver General for Canada". The exact fee must be specified.
We do not accept cash or personal cheques.

You have to grow with time. Cash is becoming less and less relevant. Checks have been becoming less and less relevant for years. The pace for both becoming pointless is accelerating with technology.

If won’t be long before all payments are electronic only.

What about the people with no bank accounts at all? The ones you see at the grocery store paying with $100 bills? They have no access to electronic payment networks. Electronic payments will grow, I don't question that. I just don't see cash going completely away. Too many people depend on it. Absolutely not in my lifetime.

What about the people with no bank accounts at all? The ones you see at the grocery store paying with $100 bills? They have no access to electronic payment networks. Electronic payments will grow, I don't question that. I just don't see cash going completely away. Too many people depend on it. Absolutely not in my lifetime.

How many employers give cheques anymore? Aren't most people paid via direct deposit to a bank account.
Our government is phasing out giving out cheques for things like social assistance and tax refunds.

Like several others have said, I pay the property taxes and water/sewer bill on what was my parents' vacation home by check. The township won't accept any kind of electronic bank payment. They DO accept credits cards through a third party service, but there's something like a $8 service fee for each transaction. Since I pay those bills quarterly, the fees would amount to $64 per year. Not a lot, but I'm too cheap to pay it.

I also pay my housecleaning service every week by check. It's a small operation, just two women. The lawn service will accept credit cards, but gives a discount for cash or check.

Then there are a handful of miscellaneous times each year I pay with a check, like if I need a plumber or electrician, or maybe a donation to a charity.

In the U.S., there are still millions of people who, for whatever reasons, legitimate or not, don't have bank accounts, so, yes, many employers still do issue paper checks.

To answer OP's question, I got my last batch of checks at Walmart.com.

How many employers give cheques anymore? Aren't most people paid via direct deposit to a bank account.
Our government is phasing out giving out cheques for things like social assistance and tax refunds.

I worked for a major employer and when you were hired they told you- you get paid direct deposit-they do not issue checks- no bank account, no work!

I think the pace of irrelevance for non electronic payments is exponential. Each year that goes by accelerates the demise.

Non traditional banking is working very hard to court those who have shunned traditional banking.

In this thread many have pointed out how expensive accepting credit cards is for a business. No one has mentioned the expenses associated with accepting cash. Time lost counting cash, time for creating deposits, maintaining change on hand, employee theft, etc.

All payment methods have costs, electronic methods are lower.

https://www.cashtechcurrency.com/bl...osts-you-more-cash-payments-vs.-card-payments

Studies have also shown that people are more likely to make impulse purchases when presented with multiple payment choices. Small businesses only taking checks and cash are not seeing the big picture and are living in the past.

Well, I am in California and we have funny laws. Under California Labor Code 213 you have a right to get a check. The one thing I don't get with Direct Deposit. They still send you the same paper work, AND the check, the check just has "Funds Direct Deposited, Non-Negotiable" printed on it. Doesn't seem they are saving any money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter