Where do cruise ships dock during the hiatus?

your question got my attention so I went straight to the POM cam and see this .....

View attachment 480955

not being towed ... but a tug that may have been assisting with departure . . .

Thanks. It was truly going out backwards and I could see no wake or whatever it is called from the engines. Then the tug moved to the side, the ship turned and I had to work on dinner. :) It does appear that there is at least some power coming from the ship in your screenshot. I guess I just couldn't see it earlier.

Last I looked the situation at Port Canaveral all four ships are still docked.

Thanks again.

The only problem with dry dock/refurbs is that a lot of the contractors needed for it come from Europe...
RCCL have cancelled/delayed their upcoming dry socks.

All ships?? Explorer of the Seas was going in tomorrow to get ready for her makeover. Can you link to an update?

I'd say they could make some sweet docking deals with all of the ports that are essentially closed for business.

problem is from the other direction ..... more ships than parking places ...... the average cruise terminal serves 2 different ships . . .

and btw ... ports make $ per passenger ....... all that is lost ....

I'm sure some will use this time as early dry dock/refurbs.

All those empty dry dock facilities?

They can dock in other places than cruise terminals. There's also all of these ports in the Caribbean sitting empty. There will be cargo ports with empty berths as well as this will result in less goods being moved.

Dry dock was only half of that. Everything north of the water line can pretty much be done at any ship port with access to supplies. If they were already going to replace carpets, reconfigure interior spaces, and replace furniture in June, don't you think they'll be doing everything in their power to get it done now and use the originally planned off time for cruises?

All ships?? Explorer of the Seas was going in tomorrow to get ready for her makeover. Can you link to an update?

I believe Explorer has been cancelled and Allure delayed.
I'll see if I can find the link again...

I believe Explorer has been cancelled and Allure delayed.
I'll see if I can find the link again...

Thanks. I see the Allure one on the RCCL blog but not Explorer. We sail in October, but if they cancel it for now, may affect future sailings.

Actually, Dream is on her last cruise with some guests (but not many according to the muster pictures I’ve seen). She will be back to PC on Monday then will join Magic and Fantasy, who are taken offline today.

For some reason I thought the Dream was already finished. Thanks

Thanks. I see the Allure one on the RCCL blog but not Explorer. We sail in October, but if they cancel it for now, may affect future sailings.

I sent Matt a tweet, may or may not answer tonight.

I am sure that they will have to pull into some port during this for food for the crew. On the Disney Cruise line blog, they have a link to see where the ships are at any given time. They are tracked by GPS.

@Cheerio and @bbel

Asked Matt Hochberg of The RCL Blog via Twitter “Do you know if Explorer’s amplification is going on as scheduled?” and he said: “No reason to believe anything has changed.”

@Cheerio and @bbel

Asked Matt Hochberg of The RCL Blog via Twitter “Do you know if Explorer’s amplification is going on as scheduled?” and he said: “No reason to believe anything has changed.”

Thank you. They literally have all the supplies waiting to get started, the first cruise back is May 7th so I was hoping it would just happen while no ships are sailing anyway.

I don’t think something similar ever happened before. Staying at sea involves using fuel, which is certainly something the cruise lines will try to avoid. However, ports usually charge for ships to dock. There are probably not enough docks around the world to allow all the offline ships to dock once RCCL and Carnival follow the others. DCL can always use CC for one of the ships, but their PC dock is supposed to be unavailable for the entire summer. They will not be able to dock there as long as the Wish-related work can still go on.

I guess we will just have to follow them on CruiseMapper to see where they end up after the suspension of activities begins starting tomorrow.

They'd probably loiter using minimal fuel.

These were taken in January 2016 when the three sisters were near CC, unfortunately the Wonder wasn’t close enough to be in the picture. I don’t remember what the occasion was that they were so close to each other. View attachment 480791View attachment 480792
View attachment 480797ETA: I have no idea who to credit the pics to, I think it was DCL officials

I remember seeing an advertisement like this. I recall wondering how the heck did they get that many ships together at the same time.

Miami, Everglades and Tampa anchorages already have new cruise ship customers this morning . . . .

Last edited:
@Cheerio and @bbel

A friend onboard says otherwise.
I mean, the dry dock will have to happen at some point, but probably not the amp (like allure)
I guess we'll see soon, shes due in tomorrow.

I remember seeing an advertisement like this. I recall wondering how the heck did they get that many ships together at the same time.
I wish I could remember why it happened. For some reason I’m thinking one of the ships had a medical emergency so they had to shift some itineraries around and it happened that they would all be near each other so DCL made it happen.

Not DCL but this is Carnivals dispositions. I think PC is 1 likely spot, CC probably, possibly even rotating between the ships. All of the deepwater ports that Disney uses, have anchorages where they can anchor a ship or ships for whatever reason pretty much indefinitely. Theres a couple of tugs in Texas or around NOLA i forget where that are in legal limbo right now doing that. The 1 thing that caught my attention is that the lines either have a pp or a set number of sailings that is contractually gtd to that port. I havent heard anything if the ports will forgive the missed sailings.

Cruise Radio: Where Carnival Cruise Ships Will Go During Voluntary Suspension.
https://cruiseradio.net/where-carnival-cruise-ships-will-go-during-voluntary-suspension/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter