Where do cruise ships dock during the hiatus?

Per a crew member on the Wonder

As contracts end, employees will disembark and head home. The one I spoke to leaves Friday.

Other CM's will remain on board cleaning etc.

The ship will be based in San Diego for the next month rotating in and out of port over that time.

On the Wonder right now. When I spoke to him a few nights ago the Captain didn’t actually know where the ship would be going.

I like this thread. Great distraction. If you look at a depth map of the sea around Florida, Caribbean and the gulf, most of the sea is relatively shallow. There is the famed Cayman trench area that is seriously deep. Meant to post this towards the thread end where people are discussing depth. Don’t know how, but you get context at end of thread

Sorry if this has already been posted - I have not read all 5 pages. Per cast member on WBPC cruise, the Wonder will most likely head south out of American waters so they are not forced to pay them American wages. Not a disgruntled employee, just someone relaying facts.

Disney only has one berth at Port Canaveral. My understanding is that they are alternating between the berth, anchorage and castaway.

The Dream usually bunkers every fortnight so that's what the Fantasy will be doing.. so itll be using less fuel than normal. Energy consumption on the ships will be less die to the lower number of people.

The crew on board that are not essential to the operation of the ship are, for the most part, able to go home of they aernt stopped by travel restrictions.

If the situation goes on longer I can see the ships getting laid up somewhere with only a skeleton crew on board.

Sorry if this has already been posted - I have not read all 5 pages. Per cast member on WBPC cruise, the Wonder will most likely head south out of American waters so they are not forced to pay them American wages. Not a disgruntled employee, just someone relaying facts.
That is different than what we were told. We heard that the ship would be coming and going from San Diego on its regular port schedule with the stops being for supplies. I suspect that the information is being shared on a need to know basis.

Huh? So the Fantasy, Dream and Magic are paying American wages? Not an expert in this subject matter, but I can't make the logical connection here.

Huh? So the Fantasy, Dream and Magic are paying American wages? Not an expert in this subject matter, but I can't make the logical connection here.
From what we were told, only when in US ports or American waters. Most of Disney cruising is to foreign ports and foreign waters. It sounded like it might have something to do with time there being prolonged as well. While we were on board we did notice the Fantasy and Magic go to areas away from the US after they finished their last cruise, so it kind of made sense it may be true.

That is different than what we were told. We heard that the ship would be coming and going from San Diego on its regular port schedule with the stops being for supplies. I suspect that the information is being shared on a need to know basis.
I do not think the two are incongruent. It makes sense that they will be restocking from the closest US port since it is easier to buy and transport what they need within the US. What I was talking about is the time that they are not allowed to stay in port which will be the majority of this time in limbo.

Today at 7.30pm (sunset) there were 12 ships anchored off Coco Cay. All different lines (Royal, Celebrity, Holland America...)

Captain Kate sent a message to all the captains and at 7.30 they all sounded their horns to tell each other and the world that they are OK, they're healthy, safe and strong and they're in it together.

They plan on doing this horn salute until life is 'back to normal'! 😍

#hopefloats

As crew I never got paid 'American wages' while on the Alaska/Hawaii runs.

But they'll head out of port so they dont have to pay fees and taxes.

That is not how the pay works. You don't get wages depending on what "water" or port you are in. The ship is registered in the Bahamas so they follow Bahamian laws. Just like a cargo ship from China does not pay the crew depending on what port they are docked at. That is why these ships do not register in the US.

As has been posted in earlier pages, they won't just sit in port, not only to avoid paying port fees for each day they're tied up, but they have to sail underway in order for the water treatment system to make fresh water for consumption on board. Also since they're not able "hookup" to shore side power, they need to run the generators continuously so the port doesn't want the emissions from them settling all over the harbor area. So they'll go out and sail around and most likely anchor off shore for a few days or so then return to port for supplies, food and occasionally fuel. The Dream, Fantasy, and Magic are rotating between Port Canaveral and Castaway Cay, with one ship anchored just outside PC. Then every few days they rotate, one will go to CC the Anchored ship proceeds into PC and the ship coming from CC anchors off PC and repeat. Even though the Magic is usually based out of Miami until she heads over to Europe they moved her up to the rotation out of PC due to lack of space in Miami, they have 7 to 8 ships docked there on a daily basis already.

As has been posted in earlier pages, they won't just sit in port, not only to avoid paying port fees for each day they're tied up, but they have to sail underway in order for the water treatment system to make fresh water for consumption on board. Also since they're not able "hookup" to shore side power, they need to run the generators continuously so the port doesn't want the emissions from them settling all over the harbor area. So they'll go out and sail around and most likely anchor off shore for a few days or so then return to port for supplies, food and occasionally fuel. The Dream, Fantasy, and Magic are rotating between Port Canaveral and Castaway Cay, with one ship anchored just outside PC. Then every few days they rotate, one will go to CC the Anchored ship proceeds into PC and the ship coming from CC anchors off PC and repeat. Even though the Magic is usually based out of Miami until she heads over to Europe they moved her up to the rotation out of PC due to lack of space in Miami, they have 7 to 8 ships docked there on a daily basis already.

Why do you think they can't plug in to shore power? There's already ports that require the ships to plug in.

A couple MSC and Norwegian ships have been tied up in miami for a few days, so they can and will sit in port if allowed.

Why do you think they can't plug in to shore power? There's already ports that require the ships to plug in.

A couple MSC and Norwegian ships have been tied up in miami for a few days, so they can and will sit in port if allowed.
I know they're "able" to but a lot depends on the shore facility, I'm not completely sure if the Port of San Diego offers shoreside power which is why I said what I did, I could very well be wrong, but there are multiple factors for ships not to sit in port day after day, primarily the fee's the ports charge the cruise lines, in response to current events many ports have reduced their fee's to mitigate the strain on the lines financially. Then as I mentioned also they need to be out to sea to be able to produce potable water for the ship for cooking, drinking and cleaning. Making space for other ships in port is another reason for them to not stay in port for long durations as well. Anyway, they're continuing to rotate the ships in and out of Port Canaveral every couple of days.

I know they're "able" to but a lot depends on the shore facility, I'm not completely sure if the Port of San Diego offers shoreside power which is why I said what I did, I could very well be wrong, but there are multiple factors for ships not to sit in port day after day, primarily the fee's the ports charge the cruise lines, in response to current events many ports have reduced their fee's to mitigate the strain on the lines financially. Then as I mentioned also they need to be out to sea to be able to produce potable water for the ship for cooking, drinking and cleaning. Making space for other ships in port is another reason for them to not stay in port for long durations as well. Anyway, they're continuing to rotate the ships in and out of Port Canaveral every couple of days.

They are required to use shore power in San Diego.

I just watched a you tuber who is a rccl worker. He showed them anchor in the Bahamas not at port. He could see 5 other cruise ships. He said they have to move at times to keep everything running. They are having a great time. Ate at Johnny rockets one day. Another day he ate at a speciality restaurant he said it was 20 dollars with his discount. Don’t know how much for guests. Lots of deck time getting some sun.

Lots of YubeTube videos from Crew members. They still are working but get to use guest areas and sleep in guest cabins. Many ships are anchored in the Bahamas and will move periodically due to needing the engines to run for certain aspects of the ship to work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter