When was the last time you really got dirty?

1GoldenSun

DIS Veteran
I mean actual soil on your hands. Get your head out of the gutter @low-key.

My husband was doing something in the yard and he had to dig something up. I went out to see if he needed any help and he asked me to hand him something that was sitting on top of a dirt pile. I got dirt on my hands, and brushing it off was a familiar feeling but I recognized it as one that I hadn't had in a while. I couldn't remember the last time I had actual "dirt" on my hands.

I usually plant a few tomato and pepper plants out back in the spring, and I touch the dirt then, but I think that's about it. And when I think about how when I was a little kid and I was literally dirty most of the time, it seems. I remember my mother making me go scrub the dirt out from underneath my fingernails. I haven't had that dirt ring under my nails in decades.

When was the last time you had dirt on your hands?

I hate being dirty - hate it. :scared: My hands got too dirty for my liking putting up the Christmas decorations. For some weird reason even though they are in closed plastic bins, the tree and garlands always seem to get full of dust after a year in the basement. The last time I got really dirty (hands, shoes, clothes) would have been last fall when I cleaned out the flower beds and winterized the back yard.

I mess with plants all the time. Just last week. I mowed the leaves in our yard the week before.

2 days over 4th of July dh, 2 of our kids and I helped clear a large part of a 300 year old oak in MILs yard. Stripped the branches off the trunk and hauled them to her burn pile.

That was WORK!

Frequently from yard work I get dirty, but only occasionally is it to the really dirty level, usually requiring a big project in hot weather so the dirt sticks to the sweat all over.

I often end trail runs caked in mud from the waist down. People should get dirty more often, it's good for you. One of the signs of a good day is cleaning Earth from our son.

Last edited:
I often end trail runs caked in mud from the waist down. People should get dirty more often, it's good for you. One if the signs of a good day is cleaning Earth from our son.
I agree. I just don't ever get ill, thank God. Probably because we grew up playing in the dirt and were filthy every day.

I couple of years ago and I would kill to be able to do it again. I have a degenerative nerve disease that has basically paralyzed me in my legs. I have not been in my backyard for two years - although now with my new mobility device - Whill Ci I should be able to at least visit back there and now be able to dig in from my chair.

I loved being able to pull up weeds daily. My DH wants to wait for months and then "maybe" deal with it.

I own a car stereo / tint shop so I get "dirty" every day to a certain extent. On the weekends, yard work is my therapy so I get down and dirty. Planting plants, weeding, laying mulch and general yard work. I think hands on outside work, dirt under your nails is good for the soul.

When I was married to a plumber I got dirty all the stinkin' time! Ugh. Every day, even though that was usually just from washing his clothes or boots or equipment or cleaning out his truck. We also had a wood stove so I spent all the good-weather months chopping and splitting wood and we lived on a farm, so dirt was a big part of my life. Nowadays...not so much. Though to be fair, the ground is frozen right now and there's no dirt to be found until it thaws. But I'm not afraid to get dirty and I'm usually involved in some sort of DIY project for myself or others. Before Thanksgiving I helped a friend hang drywall and finish plaster her bathroom and I got plenty dirty. put in a new mailbox post for my grandma and cleaned out 2 little ponds in the fall too. I work with kids with special needs so every work day I end up dealing with some sort of body fluids, very often they end up on me! I know that's not technically dirt but it's dirty and gross. I made bread today and had to clean flour and dough from under my fingernails, does that count as dirty?

I mean actual soil on your hands. Get your head out of the gutter @low-key.

My husband was doing something in the yard and he had to dig something up. I went out to see if he needed any help and he asked me to hand him something that was sitting on top of a dirt pile. I got dirt on my hands, and brushing it off was a familiar feeling but I recognized it as one that I hadn't had in a while. I couldn't remember the last time I had actual "dirt" on my hands.

I usually plant a few tomato and pepper plants out back in the spring, and I touch the dirt then, but I think that's about it. And when I think about how when I was a little kid and I was literally dirty most of the time, it seems. I remember my mother making me go scrub the dirt out from underneath my fingernails. I haven't had that dirt ring under my nails in decades.

When was the last time you had dirt on your hands?
As a child, I loved making mud pies, and somehow, I got filthy every day. As an adult, in the spring, I teach a plants and insects unit, and the kids and I plant seeds and work in the soil. At home, I plant my annuals and work in my perennial gardens.

If I lived in a warmer climate, I would probably be outside gardening every day, year round.

I love to garden so I’m always dirty! In fact I just bought a greenhouse so I can get dirty all year round now! (I live in Wisconsin)

2 weeks ago. 40 feet of my back fence blew down, DW and I were out in the mud disassembling a rotting 30 year old fence.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter