When to use Dark vs Light T-Shirt Transfers

Goofy4

DIS Veteran
I have both, I just don't know when to use one or the other.

I had been under the impression that the dark transfers painted the "background" white -- everything not printed in another color would come out white.

Now, looking at the picture on the front of the Avery paper, I can see that is not the case. There is text with no background while the white in the photo is definitely white.

So, it must be that anything with a transparent background stays that way while white still comes out white. That's good news, I'm just still confused on when to use Dark vs. Light transfer paper. Unfortunately, we purchased many dark-colored t-shirts when we probably should have stuck more with lighter colors. Thanks for your help!

...I should clarify... We have many shirts, including yellow, orange, light green and light grey. It's these middle-ground colors I'm not sure about.

I have the same question. I bought bright colored t-shirts, but don't want the white showing through from the transfer. Is anything not colored transparent or white?

I used the light transfers for the white shirts. This one the design had to be flipped.

I used the dark transfers for a red/Christmas shirt. You don't flip the image, it comes out EXACTLY how you print it. So on my first try I hate white edges and it looked horrible. I had to redo it and cut the white edges off with my paper trimmer. I wish I could post pictures here but I can't figure it out.

If I had a choice again, I would only do the light ones.

TANK - things for letting me know. That's what I've been told, but was hoping maybe one of the brands wouldn't show white. On the Avery box for dark transfers it shows the shirt color showing through, not white. It's confusing.

Forgive me for being totally dense, but I have the same question. So...

Nank -- are you saying that regardless of shirt color you would use the transfers for white shirts? Some of the designs I want to print have words outside of the image, so I don't want them to print out on a white background. Instead, I want them to be transparent with the shirt color behind them. What should I use? I have both kinds of paper.

Thank you!!

Jennifer

No, I am saying I would just use white shirts. I tried the light transfer on the dark shirt and it didn't work.

I didn't like how the picture on the dark transfer had the white outlines. So then the second time I cut them off but you will definietly have the white on there unless you cut out with an exacto knife or something? I'm not really sure. Good luck.

Yeah, we figured out after the fact that we purchased too many dark shirts for our group of 13 (times 4 each). We then had to scramble to find rectangular designs that required little or no cutting with the dark transfer paper. I'm happy with how it worked out, we just didn't understand what we were getting in to at first.

We did try to push the limits of the light transfer paper once with a light-green design (with lettering) on a light-grey shirt. I would have been disappointed if that was all we had -- too much of the shirt color bleeds through. Thankfully we made it with no ruined shirts and nerves still intact. :cool1:

Here are two shirts that I made with the dark transfers paper...

70095stitch_shirt.jpg

70095mickey_shirt.jpg

(don't mind the little hold under Mickey's chin - I hit the pointed edge of the iron just right and ripped the iron on as I was working on the shirt :(

you can see the white on all of them... I could't figure out how to trim the stitch logo well without it looking bad so I did just the square... I don't think my DH likes it as much with all the white - but I am hoping he wears it at least once :)

My recommendation is white shirts with the iron on for white paper - I liked the clean look of those better...

70095100_2792.JPG

good luck!
Laura

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter