• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

when to sail

dianaore

Mouseketeer
okay first time cruiser planning here. Since I am a teacher the logical time to go is summer but then who wants to be logical. If I don't want a summer month what should I know about the other months. Living on the west coast what is East coast weather like?. I would hate for my first trip to Florida to be cold, don't want to encounter a hurricane. What are the risks of the months?

Diana

We sailed the end of October and it was great. Hurricane season is pretty much over by then. :wave2:

Howdy,
We live in central florida and the winters are great here!!!
Hurricane season officially ends the last day of November, so it's best to wait until at least close to that date. Even though a lot of hurricanes pass by Florida, they do hit the tropical islands that people cruise to all the time.
We have done 7 DCL cruises. We have gone in December, March, January, May. December was our favorite time to go. The weather was beautiful, the rainy season is over so the humidity is all gone too. Sometimes at the port it may be a little cool, but as soon as you start to head towards the islands the temperature rises to mid 80's in the winter with a breeze. It's fantastic!!!
Sometimes the ocean is a little cool in December for swiming at Castaway Cay. But not too bad. Just depends on what you like for temperature. We have done 3 cruises in December and are going again this December and only once it was too cool to get in the water for us, although others were swimming. All of the islands can be windy year round, so that really does not matter when you sail for the wind, it's the same all year long. One bonus for going after Thanksgiving to January 4 or 5 is the ship is decorated for the holidays. The atrium is gorgeous, they have a large tree and garlands. The first night they have a tree lighting ceremony where you sing carols and characters arrive, Santa Goofy comes and then when the tree lights uo it starts snowing in the atrium!! It's great.
We dont sail in th esummer for2 main reasons. 1 of course is the threat of hurricanes, 2 is it's way too hot with all the humidity!! We get a lot of that here in Florida all summer, but it's worse on the tropical islands and it dumps rain almost every afternoon.
Hope this helps a little.
We are originally fromt he west coast too. Oregon
mom x4,grandma x4

Hi!
We sailed Nov 16th on the Eastern. Weather on deck was warm enough for shorts all week long (only needed pants, etc. in the air conditioning!).

The ship was already decorated for Christmas when we boarded, very nice.

The water at Castaway Cay was a bit cool (especially until you "got used to it"); but by afternoon my kids were playing in the water with no complaints.

We also had perfect beach weather at the ports.

We are taking the Western this August, and I admit, I'm concerned that my parents and my children will find the heat a bit much...

I'm sure you'll hear it here - ANY Disney cruise will be NO Disney cruise!!! Good luck, and Happy Planning!!! :banana:

We sailed over New Year's week on Disney, and in the past on RCL during January during a big freeze. Florida was warm for the Disney cruise, but freezing for the RCL cruise, but since both were Caribbean cruises it was plenty warm after a day out or so. I think I might avoid the Western during the winter.
Castaway Cay was fine, yes the air temperature was very near the water temperature, (about 80 degrees for both) so it did feel a little cool when you got out of the water, but it was downright hot in St. Maarten and St. Thomas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter