When do you think the border will reopen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
I know the closure has been extended to May 20th. When do you think we'll see the border re-opening? Do you think it'll be province by province depending on risk zones? All at once? Do you think individual provinces will require quarentine even after it opens? When do you personally want to see it reopen?

Myself, I can see the closure being extended another 30 days. And I definitely think quarentine will be required depending on the province.

That said, I really hope that border, at least the ME/NB border, opens up after May 20th. We live in a border town, and the shut down is hurting both sides.

Until people are able to go about their own daily business freely in this country I don't think we have any right to open the border. Lets make sure our residents can move and not spread anything before we allow anyone else in or out to set things back.

The border can stay closed to non essential traffic until there is a vaccine as far as I'm concerned.

I agree we shouldn't rush to open the border. I also acknowledge that it is a difficult thing for many border towns. I have a friend whose family owns a cottage in the US. I am sure they would like to be able to gather there, but of course gathering isn't happening at this time any way. I look forward to cruising and visiting Disney again. I am not worried about getting it myself so much as passing it to others.

My concern is that is seems a vaccine will be difficult to produce, and while I know there are multiple in trials, hoping they will work, I wonder if they will be effective and I don't think we can wait the possible years it will take for them to be produced and available world wide. I wonder if a more effective treatment will come first.

With the provinces coming out with their reopening plans, while I hope we don't see any resurgence in cases, there will be cases that result. That was the point wasn't it? Slow this down so we don't overwhelm the hospitals. It wasn't about staying in isolation until COVID disappears. I don't believe we should rush to get out there, I am of the opinion we need better testing, to see who has it and who has had it. And we also have to hope that previous infection will offer protection, they still haven't determined if that is the case.

Whether the border opens or not isn't my main issue.

The bigger question is what medical travel insurance will look like for out of country travel.

I'm curious if my work medical insurance through Blue Cross still covers hospital visits now. I might even place an email to see if changes are coming to our plans. And same with my mastercard travel insurance.

That is the big question mark I have right now...

And even if we do get to travel outside of the country...the chances will be high that depending on where you travel to, we will have to self isolate for 14 days upon return. Which makes it extremely hard to even think about traveling plus doing a self isolation, unless your lucky if you can work from home. Even if we could travel, I would be using all my holidays for one week somewhere else. I don't know if I'm willing to do that just to travel outside of Canada.

My guess is July 5th, after Canada Day and 4th of July and I expect quarantine orders for people moving from one province to another or arriving from another country.
That sounds reasonable. Might be a tad conservative, but I think it's gonna be a wait and see as to how the states and provinces that are reopening fare.

This article indicates the boarders may stay closed until years end :sad2:

https://globalnews.ca/news/6872126/...we0QwKTA1lgHYvfikz-cXWWL_06CgSqVb7he-5O1zDWBs
I want to know how much work goes into becoming a professor of law AND epidemiology. Doing one would seem to be a lot on it's own.

It's an interesting article. I think the prof makes good points, but he concentrates on the science. I'd like to see an article to counterbalance this with views from a political and/or business perspective. Because closing the border until 2021 makes perfect sense from a science standpoint. But I don't think that any country's economy can withstand that.

As a Canadian citizen living in the US (due to DH's employment....he is also a Canadian citizen) it is my hope that the borders open ASAP. We have a young adult son living in Ontario and elderly parents (one of whom has Alzheimer's Disease) from whom we are indefinitely separated. While I understand the reason for the closure, it doesn't make it any easier to bear.

And before anyone jumps in with "well, that's the risk you took when you chose to leave Canada", NOTHING like this had ever happened in our lifetimes. We were well educated and aware of the reasons which may cause us to be unable to travel home (visa/work permit issues, terrorism threats, those kinds of things) but "global pandemic" was not on anyone's radar when DH was transferred cross-border three year ago.

As a Canadian citizen living in the US (due to DH's employment....he is also a Canadian citizen) it is my hope that the borders open ASAP. We have a young adult son living in Ontario and elderly parents (one of whom has Alzheimer's Disease) from whom we are indefinitely separated. While I understand the reason for the closure, it doesn't make it any easier to bear.

And before anyone jumps in with "well, that's the risk you took when you chose to leave Canada", NOTHING like this had ever happened in our lifetimes. We were well educated and aware of the reasons which may cause us to be unable to travel home (visa/work permit issues, terrorism threats, those kinds of things) but "global pandemic" was not on anyone's radar when DH was transferred cross-border three year ago.

Hi Gina
My heart goes out to you Hon. I must be so hard being seperated from family right now. I know at least once a week seeing (from a distance in a park) my son is hard enough never mind not being able to see him at all.
Wishing you all the best!
Hugs
Mel

I can't imagine. It's not just travel for vacation for you, but separation from your immediate family. Really things open up and this horrible virus is under control.

And even if we do get to travel outside of the country...the chances will be high that depending on where you travel to, we will have to self isolate for 14 days upon return. Which makes it extremely hard to even think about traveling plus doing a self isolation, unless your lucky if you can work from home. Even if we could travel, I would be using all my holidays for one week somewhere else. I don't know if I'm willing to do that just to travel outside of Canada.
Yes, if we have to self isolate for 2 weeks after return from US will prevent many from crossing the border. And for me living in a border town it definitely won’t be worth one day shopping trips! I’m missing Trader Joes!

I want to know how much work goes into becoming a professor of law AND epidemiology. Doing one would seem to be a lot on it's own.

A few years ago my collaborator had a Ph.D student in microbiology who started law school while studying for her thesis defence. It was hectic but she did it. Law schools really like having Ph.D. as students. For example, to be a patent lawyer.

I can see the border being reopened either at the end of this current 30 day closure or directly after the Canada Day/4th of July weekend BUT with the 14 day mandatory quarantine still in place which for most of us (including Americans) would make travel still a non issue. Which of course still completely bums me out because we have trips planned for August (on the verge of cancelling that one) and October but it is what it is.

I'm in northern Alberta and my daughter, her hubby and the new grandbaby are just outside the Calgary area. It's killing me to not be able to see them. My parents are in Saskatchewan and other family members as well. I can totally relate to your situation. We can't even go from province to province really.

I can see keeping the boarder closed for a bit, until the numbers stabalize in the US more. I don't think for either ecomony that they will close them forever. Both countries need the tourism for those who are brave enough to travel across it. I'm hoping that if there is travel between the 2 countries, that there will be mandated and actually enforced isolation of some sort before you can go out into public.

I struggle with all of this. At some point, we all will need to exposed to the virus. We will all have to have it ( or have an immunization ) if it's one of those viruses where you get it once and your done. As much as I don't want to be the one to spread it to someone else, who is at a higher risk. But like the influenza virus, those who are at a higher risk take precautions. I have a son who is a severe asthmatic with allergies. Right now, his chances of dying from a severe asthma attack due to seasonal allergies are WAY higher than from the covid virus. And yes,..people get extremely sick from the virus...but many don't. This where I struggle with this. It kills me to hear about outbreaks in long term care facilities. I just struggle with all of it.

The virus is here and it is NOT going away. If the virus is a " you get it once and your immune " type virus or if it's more like an influenza virus, only time will tell. That will also tell how our lives and new normal will look like. The virus is still in it's early stages. They don't have accurate records of how many people ACTUALLY have had it and didn't need much medical intervention vs who had it, was hospitalized vs those who have died from it. I struggle with allllllllllll aspects of it!!!! We can't continue to live like the boy in the bubble, but we also don't want to compromise those who are soooo vulnerable to it!!! Alright...getting off my soap box now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!