When do you think the border will reopen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not closing the border to air travel when you cross it to land crossings just seems very wrong. I know the planes are still flying but maybe they have only be flying with those considered as essential travel. There's no way of knowing.

@bankr63 that is one of my favourite websites to watch from time to time. I am also amazed that there is as much air travel still. Of course most of it is in the US and the vast majority of it today is air freight. I find it very disturbing to see the # of domestic passenger flights that are still flying in the US.

I think the cracks are beginning to show, and the push-back will escalate now that the warmer weather is here. Protecting our citizens, especially the more vulnerable was/is necessary, and I think Ontario has done a good job. But at some point, the consequences of an extended shutdown will cause more damage than the virus. And not just economic damage. The problem is the media will continue to fuel the frenzy by highlighting worse-case scenarios, and playing down any counter arguments about easing restrictions. It's to their benefit. If the stats show progress and slowing of the spread, MSM will counter with 'second wave devastation in November', 'more potent strain expected', etc.
I think a graduated re-opening is the way to go. But if provincial govt's think they can keep things like restaurants, stores, small businesses and Border crossing closed over the summer, the consequences will be dire, and we'll begin to see a larger segment of the population rebel. Let's hope it doesn't happen.

Air Canada was flying to Orlando multiple times a day, four times per week (their reduced schedule) until very recently when they halted flights due to financial losses incurred. It’s funny to think that anyone could have gotten on one of those planes and gone to hang out in central Florida (I imagine snowbirds were still going back and forth, maybe).
I think the cracks are beginning to show, and the push-back will escalate now that the warmer weather is here. Protecting our citizens, especially the more vulnerable was/is necessary, and I think Ontario has done a good job. But at some point, the consequences of an extended shutdown will cause more damage than the virus. And not just economic damage. The problem is the media will continue to fuel the frenzy by highlighting worse-case scenarios, and playing down any counter arguments about easing restrictions. It's to their benefit. If the stats show progress and slowing of the spread, MSM will counter with 'second wave devastation in November', 'more potent strain expected', etc.
I think a graduated re-opening is the way to go. But if provincial govt's think they can keep things like restaurants, stores, small businesses and Border crossing closed over the summer, the consequences will be dire, and we'll begin to see a larger segment of the population rebel. Let's hope it doesn't happen.
YES. I could not agree more. It’s funny, right before I came to Dis this morning, I checked Apple News and the first thing I saw for Canada was that our doubling rate had slowed but that the second wave in the fall would likely be much worse. I am completely on board with your analysis above.

Well if there is a second wave around November, I'm definitely not cancelling anything on my end right now. I will wait in order to get credits or my WDW tickets extended without penalty (hopefully).

Well if there is a second wave around November, I'm definitely not cancelling anything on my end right now. I will wait in order to get credits or my WDW tickets extended without penalty (hopefully).

This is my plan at the moment. Though I am reluctant to actually book flights yet. We'll see what happens! I don't have to PIF for my cruises until September so that gives some time to see where we are at.

@hdrolfe I booked my flights as soon as they came out in January as we wanted direct down and back. So much for being proactive! LOL

The only good thing is IF we get to go, we won't have to connect anywhere, so that is a plus.

They aren't staying closed over the summer. They will start reopening within the next month. The only things not happening are concerts, festivals and sporting events this year. Which most likely means Wonderland is closed for the year. IMO til there is a cure or vaccine none of those places should open. Especially with the talk of a second wave in the fall. Its why I agree with what California is doing. In my mind Disney shouldn't be opening anytime soon. Its too hard to practice social distancing at theme parks.

@hdrolfe I booked my flights as soon as they came out in January as we wanted direct down and back. So much for being proactive! LOL

The only good thing is IF we get to go, we won't have to connect anywhere, so that is a plus.

We can't get direct down and back sadly. I may be able to use Sunwing to get back direct, but I am waiting to book any way. Or I will go to Montreal or Syracuse. Part of why I haven't booked yet... can't decide where to fly from! And I added a second week to my cruise, if we have to fly kiddo wants it to be "worth it" and if we have to isolate after we get back, that will line up with the two week Christmas break. Though not seeing family over Christmas might not be good. We'll see I guess.

Haven't seen this thought mentioned yet, but what about the possibility of a one-way border opening? Like the US opening to allow Canadians in, but Canada not opening to allow Americans in until a much later date? I could see the US deciding to stop waiting on Canada and just opening. Or conversely, I could also see them opening for other foreign internationals but not Canadians until Canada reciprocates...

We live in a border town, but really, aside from having to cancel our annual May camping trip to Michigan, and of course the worry about whether or not we'll be able to do our Aug Disney trip, the border closing hasn't really effected us that much. With the exchange rates were they were, and the increased time taken with crossing (compared to say, a decade or so ago) running over for a day of shopping isn't something we'd do anymore anyways. Vacations sure, but otherwise haven't really crossed in a while. Even camping trips we're looking to Canadian campgrounds, despite the on average higher costs, just because it's easier than crossing.

Haven't seen this thought mentioned yet, but what about the possibility of a one-way border opening? Like the US opening to allow Canadians in, but Canada not opening to allow Americans in until a much later date? I could see the US deciding to stop waiting on Canada and just opening. Or conversely, I could also see them opening for other foreign internationals but not Canadians until Canada reciprocates...

We live in a border town, but really, aside from having to cancel our annual May camping trip to Michigan, and of course the worry about whether or not we'll be able to do our Aug Disney trip, the border closing hasn't really effected us that much. With the exchange rates were they were, and the increased time taken with crossing (compared to say, a decade or so ago) running over for a day of shopping isn't something we'd do anymore anyways. Vacations sure, but otherwise haven't really crossed in a while. Even camping trips we're looking to Canadian campgrounds, despite the on average higher costs, just because it's easier than crossing.
A little off topic but you live so close to one of the best theme parks in Cedar Point. Have to you ever gone?

A little off topic but you live so close to one of the best theme parks in Cedar Point. Have to you ever gone?
Last time I went was our grade 8 grad trip, about 30 years ago. I'm acrophobic so I don't like roller coasters, and otherwise, there doesn't seem to be much there for me. I've had the kids at Michigan's Adventure a couple of times, and in the not too distant future I could see bring them to Cedar Point, but it'd be for them, not me.

I cant see the current PM halting immigration that long. And if immigration is considered essential, a Canadian returning home to Canada to visit family better also needs to be consided essential.
I can't see that either!!!! I remember your trip reports and your hubby and son. I'm only 7 hrs from my daughter and we often hop into the truck and head south for long weekends to spend with them. I miss them so much, I can't even imagine how much your wanting to go visit him or vise versa. ( ps...I hope you post more trip reports, I miss reading your trips ;) )

Reduced, maybe. Halted, no. Anyone who lives near an airport can tell you that the jets are still taking off and landing. Not nearly as frequently, but they are still coming and going. Here is an image of all of the aircraft over North America at this time (11:45 EDT Tuesday night). Surprising how many are UPS and FedEx flights (maybe not considering the situation), but lots of commercial passenger traffic too.

View attachment 491539
All passenger aircraft flying in and out of YYJ (Victoria) is DOMESTIC. From my understanding there are only 3 Airports doing cross border passenger flights. Vancouver, Calgary and Toronto today out of Vancouver only 2 flights are trans border, both tiny planes to Seattle.

They may reopen the border sooner rather than later but Canada will probably keep the 14 day quarantine mandate in place for the foreseeable future. Everything they have been saying is that this is the new normal til a cure or vaccine happens.

All passenger aircraft flying in and out of YYJ (Victoria) is DOMESTIC. From my understanding there are only 3 Airports doing cross border passenger flights. Vancouver, Calgary and Toronto today out of Vancouver only 2 flights are trans border, both tiny planes to Seattle.
Several flights out of YVR to Seattle every day and one every day to Dallas. Odd. That many people flying between Dallas and Vancouver that they need a daily flight still? Plus don't forget the flights still going to Taipei and China from YVR. Every single day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter