What's your favorite thanksgiving side dish? Recipe if you want to share!

Green English peas
Chopped green onion
chopped pickles
pimentos
finely chopped cheddar cheese
chopped black olives
Miracle Whip or Mayo (the topic of at least ONE major argument as to which is better)

Mix and chill

Cant say I love it, but my dad does and it's a tradition passed down from his G'ma.

I have had this many times...they sell it in the delis, and I like it. mayo all the way. But for T-day, it's not something we have. Usually a 7 layer salad, yes, but not the pea salad.

Ok, never have heard of it being called pet milk and gag........that name is as bad as muscle milk!! :rotfl:

I have had this many times...they sell it in the delis, and I like it. mayo all the way. But for T-day, it's not something we have. Usually a 7 layer salad, yes, but not the pea salad.

Ok, never have heard of it being called pet milk and gag........that name is as bad as muscle milk!! :rotfl:

Ha...I know. Pet is a brand name I think. My mom always called it Pet milk instead of evaporated...like she did Klenex instead of tissues and Q-tips...etc. Funny about that. My FIL is like that too.

And thanks for all the great brussle sprout recipes...not sure which one to try. They all look good.

Broccoli Casserole

2- 10 oz. pkg of frozen chopped broccoli
1 can cream of broccoli soup
1 egg
2 cups shredded cheese
1/2 stick of butter
2 cups pepperidge farm stuffing mix

Heat broccoli according to directions on package and drain. Mix egg, soup and broccoli in baking dish. Top with cheese. Coat stuffing mix with softened butter and sprinkle over cheese topping. Heat uncovered at 350 for 25 minutes.

Probably a dumb question, but do you make the stuffing before putting int he casserole? I'm guessing no, but I"m going to try this, so wanted to be sure.

Thanks!

It doesn't take hours to make

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

in fact it's a very simple recipe, and it goes in the microwave..so you don't even need to save space in the oven for it. But it's always the first thing to disappear off the table, and always the most requested. Enjoy!
Swiss Scalloped Corn

3 slices bacon, cooked, cooled, and crumbled
2 (16 oz) cans whole kernel corn (drained)
1C shredded swiss cheese
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp pepper
1 1/2 tab. flour
1 egg
1 (5 1/2 oz) can evaporated milk
1/4 c dry bread crumbs (can use either plain or flavored)
1 tab. melted butter
dash paprika

In bowl..beat egg and evap. milk together
In separate bowl..mix together corn, cheese, onion powder, pepper and flour
Add the egg/milk mixture to it and mix well.
Place in (microwavable) casserole. Top with bread crumbs. Sprinkle with bacon and paprika, Top with melted butter
Cook 10-1 minutes on MED high...Let stand 5 Minutes

you can halve the recipe if there are only a few people..but around here they like the leftovers even better!
Happy Thanksgiving!

SOLD! Thank you! Sick of green bean/broccoli casseroles This one sounds amazing. I'd use frozen corn, though. Thanks and happy Thanksgiving to you!

SOLD! Thank you! Sick of green bean/broccoli casseroles This one sounds amazing. I'd use frozen corn, though. Thanks and happy Thanksgiving to you!

You're most welcome..could you come back and post ..or send me a PM and let me know how it turned out using frozen corn, please?

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving dinner is all about the sides for me! Mashed potates and gravy, sweet potatoe casserole and stuffing is all i need!

Same here, love the sides.

I love "Grandmas Sausage Stuffing" and homemade turkey gravy.

And yes, gravy is a side dish for me. I make rich homemade broth to use with the pan drippings. Oh sooo good. (Strained, no parts in it like giblet gravy. I use the giblets as part of the broth preparation along with extra turkey necks maybe a leg if I am making a large batch of broth and chicken parts, onion, celery, some boullion/salt.)

. :)

Happy Thanksgiving!

I have never had sweet potato casserole. How do you make it?
tigercat

My favorite is candied sweet potatoes. So simple, yet I rarely hear of other families making it. Everyone I know seems to prefer canned sweet potatoes with browned mini-marshmallows on top - sorry to those who enjoy this, but YUCK!!!

Probably a dumb question, but do you make the stuffing before putting int he casserole? I'm guessing no, but I"m going to try this, so wanted to be sure.

Thanks!

Nope. Just toss it in butter right out of the package.

Forgot 1 cup mayo. And the cream of broccoli can be subbed with any cream soup like celery or chicken. I use whatever I have in the cupboard.

My family loves pea salad - but we generally make it in the summer.

Canned Peas, drained
Hard boiled eggs
Sliced GREEN olives
Miracle Whip and a little yellow mustard

Yum!!

It doesn't take hours to make

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

in fact it's a very simple recipe, and it goes in the microwave..so you don't even need to save space in the oven for it. But it's always the first thing to disappear off the table, and always the most requested. Enjoy!
Swiss Scalloped Corn

3 slices bacon, cooked, cooled, and crumbled
2 (16 oz) cans whole kernel corn (drained)
1C shredded swiss cheese
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp pepper
1 1/2 tab. flour
1 egg
1 (5 1/2 oz) can evaporated milk
1/4 c dry bread crumbs (can use either plain or flavored)
1 tab. melted butter
dash paprika

In bowl..beat egg and evap. milk together
In separate bowl..mix together corn, cheese, onion powder, pepper and flour
Add the egg/milk mixture to it and mix well.
Place in (microwavable) casserole. Top with bread crumbs. Sprinkle with bacon and paprika, Top with melted butter
Cook 10 minutes on MED high...Let stand 5 Minutes

you can halve the recipe if there are only a few people..but around here they like the leftovers even better!
Happy Thanksgiving!

OMG that sounds wonderful.

My favorite has always been the fruit salad my mom calls Ambrosia:

canned pineapple
canned mandarin oranges
shredded sweetened coconut
sour cream
pecans

My MIL makes it, too, but she adds maraschino cherries.

YUM- I could eat the whole bowl!!

MomofKatie said:
My favorite has always been the fruit salad my mom calls Ambrosia:

canned pineapple
canned mandarin oranges
shredded sweetened coconut
sour cream
pecans

My MIL makes it, too, but she adds maraschino cherries.

YUM- I could eat the whole bowl!!

We make ours different.

Mini marshmallows
Sour cream
Fruit cocktail
Mandarin oranges

Stuffing, stuffing and more stuffing. I've had many different versions and I love them all. It has to be cooked inside the bird though. It is nothing special if it isn't cooked in the bird.

Mashed potatoes that I only make twice a year at the holidays- made with whole milk and cream, loads of butter, salt, and cream cheese - whipped with a hand mixer until there is not a smidgen of a lump - very creamy, very rich, and very caloric. To heck with the turkey, give me these mashed potatoes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter