Whats up with Kids menus?

I think that it is wonderful that there are other options for kids on the disney menus. However, there are many children who are picky regardless of the fact that their parent eat adventurously or they are made to try things. I have identical twins, who were raised in the same house, offered the same foods, exposed to the same rules, and one of them eats everything, and the other eats cheese and peanut butter and carrots. Period. So, we need to be careful about judging what other kids eat or taking too much credit for their habits.... More is out of our hands than we realize!

This

I think it is sad when we have come to the point where simple baked chicken or fish is considered food for "adventurous eaters". I guess every person who grew up before 1980 was an adventurous eater, since MacDonalds sold its first nugget of fried pressed chicken slurry in 1980, and they were really the ones that kicked off the trend. I guess I missed the memo that round fried balls made from a paste of chicken fat became standard food for children and a baked drumstick became "out there" adventure food for future "Bizarre Foods" wannabes.

Not this...(btw there was a time I would've agreed with this but I have met many adult picky eaters)

My daughter and I often end up sharing a meal because she doesn't eat junk. I love that I can order her her own meal that isn't a hot dog, french fries, and a brownie. She much prefers fish, grilled chicken, fruits, and vegetables.

:thumbsup2 My daughter is almost 3 and she eats what we eat. I tell her that I am not a short order cook and she either eats what we are eating or she doesn't eat. As such, she eats a huge variety of healthier foods and doesn't refuse to eat anything.

you should count yourself blessed lol. :rotfl: I have a four year old. and a six year old. I always maintained that I an not a short order cook and my kids must eat the balanced meals I make or go hungry . oh the food I have thrown out over the years. My kids have extraordinary stubborn personalities. by sticking to my guns and not offering "kid" friendly options I had their doctor tell me to fatten them up sadly. so now they must at least take one bite of what I make, but I do offer some other options so long as they include a veggie and fruit. so while the mom in me would prefer fish of the day oher chicken strips, if they are at least eating a variety of foods, I can live with it. so I agree . with the op, kudos to Disney for putting together a more sophisticated kids menu, but I don't want to plead with my kids to eat on vacation...but now that I think of it I think a cheeseburger is pretty nonadventureous kid fare...

I totally disagree with you!!!!
I think it is great that there are finally kids menus that are expanded beyond the nuggets and pizza offerings.
If your children don't like those 2 menus, there are many, many other restaurants that will work for you.
Horray for those that want something more for their children.
\\

I tend to agree with you! My three year old will inhale the fish of the day and veggies! I read her and my 6 year old the menus and they were so excited..they get sick of "kid" offerings. These offerings in the park are so rare compared to standard kid fare. I'd like to see a great mix of BOTH in all restaurants...but thankful to see these type of items finally coming out! My kids don't eat processed foods and adore all fruits, veggies, fish, etc. They hate hamburgers, hotdogs, mac and cheese and will occasionally tolerate pizza, but they have to want it.

busymommy2pink said:
\\

I tend to agree with you! My three year old will inhale the fish of the day and veggies! I read her and my 6 year old the menus and they were so excited..they get sick of "kid" offerings. These offerings in the park are so rare compared to standard kid fare. I'd like to see a great mix of BOTH in all restaurants...but thankful to see these type of items finally coming out! My kids don't eat processed foods and adore all fruits, veggies, fish, etc. They hate hamburgers, hotdogs, mac and cheese and will occasionally tolerate pizza, but they have to want it.

I print out the menus ahead of going. My kids look at them during travel time and decide ahead of time what they like and don't like and sometimes it changes where and when we dine. It gives them something to do to help with the anticipation and excitement. It also gives them some control and responsibility for how our trip will be. A tone setter... They know what to expect when we get where we are going and what their options are. It also keeps us from having a hard time deciding when they are hot, tired and soaking wet from an unexpected shower. This will not be for every family though. It is just something that works well for ours. Sometimes the kids will talk about a new food they tried at disney and ask to make it at home! It takes about 15 tastes of a food for a person to know if they like it or not! Sometimes maybe, we just need to keep trying :)

Amanda Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I print out the menus ahead of going. My kids look at them during travel time and decide ahead of time what they like and don't like and sometimes it changes where and when we dine. It gives them something to do to help with the anticipation and excitement. It also gives them some control and responsibility for how our trip will be. A tone setter... They know what to expect when we get where we are going and what their options are. It also keeps us from having a hard time deciding when they are hot, tired and soaking wet from an unexpected shower. This will not be for every family though. It is just something that works well for ours. Sometimes the kids will talk about a new food they tried at disney and ask to make it at home! It takes about 15 tastes of a food for a person to know if they like it or not! Sometimes maybe, we just need to keep trying :)

I did the exact same thing when my daughter was younger. So many people here peruse the menus, but never think to have their kids do the same, and then they ask all sorts of questions about whether their kids will find anything they like at such-and-such restaurant. Do a dry run with your kids before making your ADRs and see what sort of reaction you get. Or do it after making your ADRs if there is still plenty of time to change your plans.

But the radioactive sauce is the most yummiest!!!! ;) :lmao:

My 16 year old son, the foodie who loved escargots and Brussels sprouts from birth, whole heartidly enjoys Kraft Mac & Cheese, made with the powdered, phosphorescent, yellow/orange sauce! rotfl: Now Disney's Mac & Cheese, won't eat it! :crazy2:

I'm excited to see some other options. My 5 yo got so tired of kid options last year, I know she'll be happy to see food more like what we serve at home.

When Be Our Guest first opened, I looked at the menu and thought to myself, "Wow. They did a good job of offering something besides the typical kid fare (mac and cheese, chicken nuggets, etc.) but making it simple enough that kids will still like it! I mean it is a plain steak, chicken, pasta, fish.

I was really surprised by the controversy this menu has caused. I know there was a lot of talk about the adult menu too. (Why no real French food? Why is the food too French inspired? ;))

I don't know about other people, but I choose a restaurant based on what I think my family will eat. I go to the place that best serves our needs. For example, when my kids turned 10, I knew that going to fixed-price places wouldn't work for us because my kids don't eat much. So I picked a la carte places where we could get what they wanted and we paid accordingly. We threw in a few character breakfasts now and then.

I also would love to try the dining plan and make the most of it. But I also know that we would never eat that much food. (Normally we can get 2 adult entrees and maybe an appetizer and still have food left for the 4 of us - with 2 teen girls.) So we have never done the dining plan because it doesn't fit how we eat.

My point is, if the kids menu doesn't fit how you eat, look for something else. Don't try to change the menus to fit your needs.

If you really want to try the restaurant, try other options. Are there adult appetizers they could eat? Is there a way to alter the food available so the kids will eat it (leave off sauce, etc.) Or feed the kids ahead of time at a counter service place, adults order entrees and maybe kids can have their dessert there???

Maggie

I think it's nice to see some variety on the kids menu, but I agree with the OP that having one or two "staple" kids choices (like mac 'n cheese or chicken nuggets) along with the variety is something Disney could very easily do and something that would appeal to all types of eaters, the more adventurous right down to the super picky.

I agree with this. It is great to have different offerings than standard kid fare, but each menu should also offer some staple kids choices.

BEASLYBOO said:
Which 2 options....

But here in lies the problem, what does "a" picky eater eat? Just in this thread alone, you have:

1. A picky eater who eats only peanut butter & carrots and cheese
2. Another picky eater due to allergies eats only lamb and seafood.
3. The next only eats only chicken nuggets and french fries.
4. Some only eat hot dogs
5. Some won't eat hamburgers
6. Some will only eat grilled cheese sandwiches
7. Some will only eat peanut butter sandwiches
8. Some will on eat mac/cheese and it can't adventurous, it must have the phosphorescent yellow sauce!

Disney rest. will never be able to satisfy every picky eater and the DDP only makes them money when they can minimize the menu options! Which is why more and more sandwiches and to go items already come sauced, with cheese or with mustard and mayo! You're expected to scrape off or remove what you don't want! Made to order is a thing of the past!

Most Better TS rest. kids menus (BOB, LC, Le Chefs etc.) have a grilled chicken, a steak, and a pasta/mac & cheese that can come with or without sauce. Unfortunately, for picky eaters who sustain life eating only grilled cheese, chicken nuggets, french fries and peanut butter then at Disney it would appear that you will be better served and /or obliged at QS restaurants!

This, so this. Disney can't have every restaurant offer everything. If you have four choices and two are normal food and two are for picky eaters, you've both lessened offerings for normal food and you haven't satisfied all picky eaters anyway. If a place has chicken nuggets and a hamburger and your kid only eats mac n'cheese then don't eat there. I think Disney was making a point by having no traditional kids items anyway (though I would not call the current BOG offerings adventurous)

I like the different choices. I've been trying to figure out how to keep my 3 year old fed on non-nugget/burger/mac & cheese meals. We rarely have those at home. As for the fish of the day - my 3 year old would gladly eat it. Just last night for dinner I cooked a fish sandwich - broiled catfish on ciabatta with a homemade horseradish sauce (mayo, horseradish, capers, diced dill pickles, and garlic), lettuce & cucumber. She loved it, as did my 12 & 13 year olds. But, she also loves shrimp, boiled crawfish, crabs and lobster. Our family eats a lot of seafood. I don't really think of us as adventurous, but I cook a lot, and my kids have always eaten what we eat. They might get mac & cheese two or three times a year, and I'll make burgers on occasion.

There are a lot of restaurants in Disney. I don't think they all need to serve the same kids meals. That is one thing that bugs me when I am searching menus to plan our ADRs.

I have 4 children one being an infant. my 6 yo triplets will eat the fish of the day anyday. We normally get the deluxe plan so they get better options for dinner. We've done the regular DDP once (they were 4 yo then) and that will be the end of it. By the 4th day, they were more then tired of the regular kids menu and wanted more. I would order my meal and they would eat it while I eat their crappy chicken nuggets or whatever. Our 8th month old will probably the same. She has refused since day one to eat baby food however give her pieces of our food and she will be delighted and sushi is her favorite food minus the raw fish. We are big into trying new foods all the time and that includs the girls. I'm more then happy to see different options for children who eat regular food as suppose to "children's food". I cook one meal and that's for everyone. That's your meal and that's what you get. Don't like it, well it's just too bad because that's your meal and you get to eat it. I guess I'm just lucky and it's out of the norm.

I am also very happy with the new choices. For those who have kids who will only eat mac 'n' cheese or pizza, there are plenty of options - it is nice for the kids who prefer other foods to have some options too.

Case in point - my DD was 23 months when we went to WDW/DCL. She ate macaroni and cheese once, chicken fingers once, and pizza once (in 14 days!). She prefers steak, fish, grilled chicken, pork chops, etc... as a protein, and things like angel hair pasta, mashed (or better yet, roasted) potatoes, salads as sides.

Do I expect all kids to eat like her? No. Do I enjoy having places where she can have a meal to her preference without us paying for an adult portion that she won't finish? Yes. I appreciate that Disney is making an effort to diversify.

I agree with this. It is great to have different offerings than standard kid fare, but each menu should also offer some staple kids choices.

Each menu does. The menu that started this has a cheeseburger on the kids menu. Can't get anything much more of a kids staple than that.

I have no problem with the healthier menus but the meatloaf at BOG looks unappealing even to me. We ordered it for my kids in Dec. They love meatloaf but took one bite at BOG and didn't touch it again. I didn't try it but it looked very dry and overcooked. I have no problem with having some of the normal options on the kids menu as well but it does get old. Esp when you take long trips like we do.

I must say that some of the changes on the adult menu at QS locations were disappointing though. I was very disappointed in the flatbread pizza at Pinocchio Village House. The crust was way too hard and it did not have enough sauce so it was very dry. Also the sauce was not very good either. I much preferred the old pizza there. I understand wanting healthier options but it needs to taste good as well as be healthy. I was also disappointed with some of the menu changes at Pop. Particularly the removal of the cheesesteak wrap.

Much of the food at Disney could use improvements in the taste dept. Esp the pasta at the buffets. I understand they are feeding a lot of people but they are supposed to be chefs and they are putting out a warmed up can of tomato sauce with some meat in it. At least that's what it tastes like to me.. You can do pasta on a large scale and have it taste much better than they do. . Also it doesn't make much of a difference what buffet you pick as they all have pretty much the same food. This also gets old. I must say this last trip when I left Disney I was sick of the food and ready to come home. When we go back I think we will be looking at other options for food. We have had the dining plan for all 6 of our trips but I don't know that we will get it the next time even if they offer free dining.

You just mentioned the two meats my son lives off of at 6-yr-old. My son has over 20 allergies, and can not eat most of the main dishes on the kid's meals at Disney. He can not have hotdogs, hamburgers, mac & cheese, pizza, regular plain pasta, chicken nuggets, grilled cheese, etc due to his allergies. He can have seafood and lamb. The thing I love about the DDP is that he can order whatever he wants that is safe for him, and I don't get charged extra for it. If I was paying OOP for it, I would get charged extra for allergen friendly or adult priced food. Thank you, Disney, for offering more than the typical kid friendly food. When I go out, if there is nothing my son can eat I bring his own food for him. For those picky eaters, try buffets at Disney. There is something for everyone including those kid friendly favorites like chicken nuggets, pizza, and mac & cheese.

My kids can not have any dairy due to a metabolic disorder and I agree they are usually great dealing with this. Our trip in Dec I found them to be less helpful at some places. The chef still came out at ts and a manager at qs but their choices at a handful of places were pretty limited. Hoop Dee Doo for example: we were not able to get any substitution except the corn was able to come without butter and for dessert they had popsicles. They no longer have toffuti or rice dream. They also no longer have french fries or any alternative for the mashed potatoes with milk. We also found that at most places chicken was the meat of choice as the other meats contained dairy of some sort. That was not going so well by the middle of our trip. My son was done with chicken. This trip he did not eat very much at all at ts meals. QS he ate more of but they also were still limiting. He could not have hot dogs since they switched from all beef and now contain organ meats. The dairy free buns for hamburgers are the worst. The reg buns they use to have for everyone before the change use to be dairy free and much better. Since the change they have dairy free junk buns.. These are even worst than the reg buns they now have. I am all for healthier as I said in a pp but it needs to taste good. Right now much of disney's food needs some improvements in that dept. Our first trip in April 2007 the food was much much better. It has declined year after year since IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter