• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What to get the Mother In Law who really needs nothing

blessedby3

Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my userna
I am trying to come up with Christmas gift ideas for my mother in law once again. She really needs nothing for herself or house so I am looking for different ideas. She is 73 and has macular degeneration so her eyesight is not that great. Cant get her any magazine subscriptions or stuff like that. Does anyone have any ideas? What do you get for your inlaws who have everything? Thanks so much :thumbsup2

How about a fruit basket? Or another type of food she enjoys. Or books on tape.

Does she have favorite cookies or dessert breads? Make her some of those quart jars with all of the ingredients in them. All she has to is add the milk, butter, eggs, etc.

New to this board and loving it!!:thumbsup2
A friend gave me this suggestion for my hard to buy for inlaws.... how about gift cards for her favorite restaurants??

My mother in law has really bad eyesight and complained that she never knew what time it was because she couldn't read a clock. I bought her a talking clock for her birthday and she thinks it is the BEST thing ever. Maybe yours could use this too? :)

Ahh yes the age old question! And it's a toughie....

How about tickets to a concert?

A new smaller &/or easier to put together Christmas Tree??

My old stand by was new slippers... the really nice kind, still not very glamorous but mine appreciated practicality.

Hummmmm..... I'll keep thinking

My grandmother also has macular degeneration. We have gotten her jewelry (watches/bracelets) with magnetic clasps - that way she doesn't have to see what she is doing to put them on. We found a dangling magnifying glass on a chain from the smithsonian museum catalog. It's a peice of jewlery as well, so she can wear it when she is dressed up.

We've done books on tape or in large print.

One thing you can do is blow up her favorite pictures so she can enjoy them again.

HTH

Gosh, thanks guys. You are quick to respond. Keep em coming. I appreciate all the ideas posted already. They are great :thumbsup2

If she lives nearby, how about a trip to her favorite salon to have her hair and maybe her nails done, with you or someone in your family as her chauffer? Or if you can afford it and she is the type, a spa day. Getting a little extra attention might be one of the best gifts you can give her.

I liked someone's idea I got on here. Buy an apron, let kids put their footprints on it w/ paint & paint on it "No-my grandkids don't walk all over me. Why do you ask?"

We're in the same boat!!
MIL and FIL are both hard to buy for!
For MIL, we purchased a calendar through one of the online photo centers. We placed the pictures, and they printed and sent it. Huge hit!
The next year, we took the grandkids to a paint it yourself pottery place and had them paint coffee mugs and gave it to her with some gourmet coffee. That went over so well that we're adding to her pottery collection this year...we'll give her a dinner plate and bowl so that she can think of her grandkids when she has breakfast/lunch.

Good luck!!
~Kimber

What about a practical gift card - grocery store, pharmacy, etc. Alot of older people are on fixes incomes and have a hard time with the necessities.

A gift basket - bath basket, teas & coffees with some type of cookies, snack basket, take an interest and fill a basket for her.

Good Luck!!!

My grandparents are the same way and I get them a hickory farm basket every year. They always rave about it.

Not sure how bad her eyesight has gotten tho this point, but how about a telephone with LARGE number buttons?

I know before DH's grandmother's eyesight degenerated past the point we bought extra large playing cards for her.

It's is tough. We get DH's grandmother a fragrant wreath every year. Got her one with sleigh bells on it. She loved it, it hung on the door to the basement and jingled every time someone opened that door!!

I send my MIL a flower or plant each year and she LOVES IT! She says she needs nothing...as she has everything, but loves having flowers delivered. I actually send the Thomas Kinkade ones to her, so she has a little collection of houses from it, that she displays all together with her new one.

How about a CD player either a personal one or a large one and some CD's it's always nice to listen to music and some have large buttons and are very easy to use. The talking clock is also great I got one for my nana as well.

How about a Woven Moments Throw (do a search for it & it will bring up quite a few places that make them).

You send a picture & they make it (wove) into a blanket or pillow.

I am debating on getting this for my MIL but I am not sure if she is worthy of the $100 since their house is a mess which means they don't take care of thngs.

Or 'coupons' for dinner meaning you either bring the family to her house & you cook or bring her to your house & you cook there, either way you cook.

Books on tape.

The first things that come to mind are
GC to a favorite restaurant
a gift of the month club, like fruit, or steak, or fresh flowers
a favorite book on CD?

I got my grandmother a large print bible. I also get her a new container of Estee Lauder scented powder each year. She loves that. I also like to get her gift cards to her favorite restaurant and movie theater gift cards. She goes out to the movies and dinner every Saturday with my mother. I love the talking clock idea. Where do you get one of those?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter