• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What to do if your flight is cancelled - Weather, mechanical, etc

Just thought of a question, and it probably qualifies as a pretty silly one, so bear with me...

I love the suggestion of booking a hotel near the airport ahead of time just in case you end up delayed, so that you won't be out of luck when rooms sell out because everyone is stuck there.

But if you are only an hour from home, what do you do? Is it still a good idea to stay in an airport hotel so you are close by in case flights are re-instated earlier than you thought? Or should you just go back home? (This is assuming that you have followed this thread's advice, reconfirmed your flights before you left the house and along the way, only to get there and find out that things have changed.)

An hour is a long way in winter travel. It could turn into 2-3 hours easily.

I would NOT return home; often delays end up changing and flights leave earlier than scheduled. Last week LH posted a 1.5 hour delay for a flight; I still got there on time and we left 35 minutes after the original time but almost an hour before the posted delay time.

Many times I get on stand by because people assumed that the delay meant that they could leave the gate area. Unless the airport is shut down, or there truly are no planes on the ground, I would not risk it.

An hour is a long way in winter travel. It could turn into 2-3 hours easily.

I would NOT return home; often delays end up changing and flights leave earlier than scheduled. Last week LH posted a 1.5 hour delay for a flight; I still got there on time and we left 35 minutes after the original time but almost an hour before the posted delay time.

Many times I get on stand by because people assumed that the delay meant that they could leave the gate area. Unless the airport is shut down, or there truly are no planes on the ground, I would not risk it.

Thanks! That's what I figured, but I just wanted to make sure it wasn't overkill!!

The only time I've done the "stay at home' thing (and I live about 30 minutes from the airport) was when I had a flight that was canceled before I left for the airport (they called me). I was supposed to connect through Chicago but there were major thunderstorms (hence my canceled flight) and was rebooked on a connecting flight (still through Chicago) that night. Instead, I got myself put onto the direct flight the next morning and spent the night at home.

In my case the weather was totally fine at home and I had a confirmed booking on the next morning's direct flight. I didn't care if the connecting flight that evening went or not - I was planning on being on it anyway. So, a change in flight delay wouldn't affect me.

Also shows one of the benefits of flying a legacy carrier. The original flight was on United and they had no direct flights; I was able to get moved to a flight by another airline in their alliance that was direct. Having the alliance gave me many more option (which I had to ask for - they were not immediately offered).

I totally agree with Bavaria.

Last February we had a flight out of MSP. The snow was flying all morning long and we had an afternoon flight (4:40pm departure). We left work around noon and set off for the airport. Our flight time was on time when we left for the airport.

We had left for the airport 4 hours before flight time and a 45 minute drive took over an hour and a half. While on the way our flight went from on time to delayed 30 minutes. Then another delay just before we got to the airport. After arriving at the airport we were delayed 2 more times.....

Just when we thought they may cancel the flight all together (heck, it was a blizzard and NWA had already cancelled all of their remaining flights for the day) Airtran announced the flight had been moved back up nearly an hour and this time it stuck. The plane landed.... the people deplaned... they loaded quickly, de-iced and we were gone... still delayed many, many hours, but if we had gone home, we would have never made it back to the airport in that weather!

3 hours later we were in Florida.

Travel safe.

Duds

I read this thread last winter and was really scared wether I would make it to MCO in January 2009! :lmao: Got there without a problem, but now I am scared about my January 2010 trip! :scared1:

Bavaria, I hope you can tell me wether all those great tips apply to travelling internationally (and I am not bragging about it, I just can't get those red shoes to work ;) ). We will be flying TXL->FRA->MCO on LH (but on a United ticket) in Economy and decided to get an early flight into FRA, so we have 3:45 h in FRA just in case (not looking forward to that, but rather have too much time there than too little). Do you know how LH handles weather related problems with international flights? I guess the don't scream at the agent tip applies here too, but that appears to be common sense... :goodvibes

Until bavaria gets back here to respond, I am able to tell you that since LH is bavaria's airline-of-choice, you will get EXCELLENT advice.

Until bavaria gets back here to respond, I am able to tell you that since LH is bavaria's airline-of-choice, you will get EXCELLENT advice.

Thanks for the message! :goodvibes Being a fellow-Bavarian myself we have in the past discussed German related travel issues here before, so I was rather counting on that EXCELLENT advice! :thumbsup2

In case anyone is wondering...I made it home. Almost completely stress-free, in spite of it taking me almost an extra full day of travel for what is usually a 14-15 hour day. I could have taken a red-eye last night, but wanted a good night's sleep after losing all day yesterday (10 hours!) in one airport...mind you an airport with only one food service place (and it's not good) and one tiny gift shop. So stayed overnight in a hotel (my expense, since it was a weather issue), no problems with my flight today, and I'm home!

One other lesson learned...if you think you are going to need one more book or magazine to entertain yourself, either check the gift shop hours or buy it when you first think of it. Next thing I knew yesterday afternoon, the gift shop was closing (about 4 pm) and I was done with my book and magazine.

Glad that you made it home, ironz! Long day!

Flossbolna, LH generally handles things well if it is their own carrier; they aren't really responsible for code shares ie there was a bad situation Shanghai-Beijing last week on Air China when again the government made it snow and forgot to tell the airports, but that wasn't LH's fault how it was handled.

The good thing is that Fraport is so well run, but with all those bus gates it does get very crowded sometimes in winter which can stack up delays. I think that the interminal Sheraton has over 1,000 rooms, so I would plan ahead in case, but there are lots and lots of off site hotels too.

Honestly? I wouldn't worry. FRA isn't an airport that gets hit too hard, unlike big ones around the world like Toronto, for instance, when it snows. They can manage quite well except in the worst situations, and LH has enough aircraft to deal. They do have a very varied fleet, and that is an issue, but they have lots of A330/340 now which they tend to fly on the NA routes so they can switch out aircraft. And they could reroute pasesgers via their other US cities like BOS, CLT, IAD, etc. There is also a chance now with Jet Blue codeshare to fly into Boston and connect for instance, although I don't konw if they will go that route yet either.

The only time I had anything really major with LH was in the days post-911 when I was trying to get my family home, and that was no fault of LH. EVERY international airline had planes in the 'wrong' city or country, so no fault of theirs at all.

I wouldn't waste too much time worrying; if anything the summer storms out of MCO would have more of an impact, or your originating flight, in which case you could just go home. (And if you were flying out of NUE more of an issue, but you aren't, so don't worry, relax!) :)

Flossbolna, LH generally handles things well if it is their own carrier; they aren't really responsible for code shares ie there was a bad situation Shanghai-Beijing last week on Air China when again the government made it snow and forgot to tell the airports, but that wasn't LH's fault how it was handled.

The good thing is that Fraport is so well run, but with all those bus gates it does get very crowded sometimes in winter which can stack up delays. I think that the interminal Sheraton has over 1,000 rooms, so I would plan ahead in case, but there are lots and lots of off site hotels too.

Honestly? I wouldn't worry. FRA isn't an airport that gets hit too hard, unlike big ones around the world like Toronto, for instance, when it snows. They can manage quite well except in the worst situations, and LH has enough aircraft to deal. They do have a very varied fleet, and that is an issue, but they have lots of A330/340 now which they tend to fly on the NA routes so they can switch out aircraft. And they could reroute pasesgers via their other US cities like BOS, CLT, IAD, etc. There is also a chance now with Jet Blue codeshare to fly into Boston and connect for instance, although I don't konw if they will go that route yet either.

The only time I had anything really major with LH was in the days post-911 when I was trying to get my family home, and that was no fault of LH. EVERY international airline had planes in the 'wrong' city or country, so no fault of theirs at all.

I wouldn't waste too much time worrying; if anything the summer storms out of MCO would have more of an impact, or your originating flight, in which case you could just go home. (And if you were flying out of NUE more of an issue, but you aren't, so don't worry, relax!) :)

Thanks for the long reply and for making me feel less worried!! :goodvibes Our flight is supposed to be on an A340, so that sounds good, too, then. :thumbsup2

Sorry that the Chinese government made it snow when you were there. I read about it in the paper - what a strange concept of government to change the weather! :confused3

Oh, I wasn't in the snow (this time...) I was just chuckling from afar. I left MUC in zero degrees to be much much warmer in various locations this month... My scarf and mittens and coat are firmly packed in the bottom of my suitcase until I reach London! :)

A slight bump from the past, not too far back though, I would suggest folks re-read the first post for some good ideas, since there is starting to be winter weather popping up (imagine that, winter time ;) )

Did I tell my story about being stuck in ORD on Christmas Eve due to winter weather, and helping out ppl in the RCC with my travel tips? One couple came back to find me and presented me with a big wrapped box of See's Chocolate they had purchased just to thank me for my help. :lmao:

I have to laugh.

I am flying AA in 4 1/2 months, but I still check my flight daily just to see if there are any gate or late trends. Todays flight (same ones I am on in April) from MSP-ORD is 3 hours late. I went to check my connecting flight and it is cancelled. So, what do I do..... I immediately try to find out what I would have done by checking for other routing options to get me to my destination. The cancelled flight is the only ORD-RNO flight per day, so I would now have to fly through DFW, most likely. I also checked and noticed that AA has a codeshare agreement with Alaska/Horizon. Now my options have increased because I could fly to LAX and connect on Horizon to RNO. Another option would be AA to SEA and then Alaska to RNO.

Stop laughing! I know I am still 4.5 months out, but it never hurts to have a plan in your head so that IF a missed connection or cancellation happens, you have a clue as to what to do.

Now, I don't fly a zillion miles like Bavaria, but I still like to be prepared. Heck, I will probably write down all of my flight options before I go so that IF this happens on my fly day, I will be able to give the gate/counter agent some options when they are trying to re-route me.

It never hurts to be prepared. Travel safe everyone!

Duds

And code sharing is a good option. Also note that not every flight combination shows on an airline website. For instance I cannot see the flight combination I would like on the UA website, but can book it on CO, operated by UA. (and for a little cheaper too!)

So having a plan, which includes codeshares and alternate cities, is a good option.

Don't forget to check alternate airports like BWI/IAD/DCA, or LAX/SNA/ONT etc too. Often those airports have shuttles at a lower cost and getting where you need to be may well be worth the cost. And sometimes those smaller airports save time as well - flying to/from ONT vs LAX can be a big time saver just due to the sheer size and traffic at LAX.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter