What To Bring

Well all the resorts and I believe all the parks have wifi now, so if you want take you iPad to the parks it's there. I would to paranoid that mine would be lost or stollen: buy I can't wait to have at the resort.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Moving to the Theme Parks Board .

Sent from my iPod touch using DISBoards

You can carry your entire desktop computer including printer with you into the parks for all I care. I certainly saw lots of them (ipads) in the parks on our recent trip.

But if you use it for photography, please don't hoist it over your head in a crowd.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3018671

I have to say I was surprised at the number of people using iPads for picture taking. I was also surprised at the number of people playing games, etc on them while in the parks. I know waiting in lines can be a drag, but Disney does such a great job of decorating everywhere, even our 10 year old son would have rather looked around and talked about all the cool decorations then have his nose in a video game. Sorry, just my little rant.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Personally I feel like it takes away from family/friends time, even if that time is just standing in a line, if various people in the party have their nose in their ipads and such. Isn't that why most people go on vacation, to get away from emails and spend some quality time with their loved ones? I understand that it can be a good distraction for antsy kids, but what did people do before ipads came out. I'd be too worried it'd be stolen or get wet/dropped too...mine never left the hotel room.

This summer at WDW my family and I were at Rainforest Cafe chatting about our day while we waited for our food to arrive, and I happened to look over at the table next to us - the dad was playing on his phone, the two little kids were playing on ipads and one kid was playing his nintendo DS, and the mom looked bored out of her mind. I remember thinking it was such a shame they were missing out on a chance to enjoy each others company and the experience of the theme restaurant.

russp609 said:
is it a good idea to bring an IPAD when at the parks?

As noted, please don't be so inconsiderate to those behind you, as to use it as a camera. Plus, unless you have an iPad mini, I could not IMAGINE trucking this thing around with me all day in the parks.

No thank you.

No one in our family would be permitted to carry one in the parks. If you have a smart phone and/or a camera I don't know why you would want to- I think it would be a PITA to lug it around all day and just how upset would you be if it was lost/stolen/broken/soaked while there? YMMV, so do what you feel you need to do (remembering always to be considerate of those around and behind you).

russp609 said:

I wouldn't say it's a good idea. There's just too much risk of it getting wet, broken, lost, or stolen - at least in my opinion.

I worry enough about my smartphone in the parks. A tablet would stress me out more than I would enjoy it.

Even when people go to place like Disney they feel the need not to socialize anymore. A sad site in our society now a days as stated before is that no one wants to talk to each other.:surfweb:

I'm in the party that says no to bringing it in the parks. If you want to play games and you have an ipad it's likely you have a smartphone too so use that. There are so many things in Disney World to amuse you and keep you occupied! If you can afford an ipad you can afford a little point and shoot camera too.

russp609 said:

We bring an iPad pretty much everywhere we go, so we bring it into the parks. No one in our party is inconsiderate, anti-social, or photography impaired. I like to use apps, answer the occasional email, modify reservations, snap a quick picture (no, I have never in my life held it over my head and blocked anyone's view) or any of a thousand other uses. I carry it in a small backpack and in a proper travel case. We are Disney addicts and have never been bored in the parks ... I am surprised that people think that boredom alleviation is the primary use of a tablet. They are tremendously useful for myriad reasons.

Bring one if you like, we do, and I promise not to think you a selfish, inconsiderate or anti-social if I see you with one. Don't bring one if you won't get any use out of it.

I know waiting in lines can be a drag, but Disney does such a great job of decorating everywhere, even our 10 year old son would have rather looked around and talked about all the cool ecorations then have his nose in a video game

This. Hate to see kids and adults these days fixated on their tablets, iphones, etc. so much. When my daughter was at karate tonite a parent was sitting there tapping that screen non-stop for 45 minutes (my guess playing a game of some sort). Highly annoying sound to boot.

I LOVE my iPad and would take it everywhere with me, but a Disney park just isn't one. As a PP stated, it's too much of getting broken or lost.. I'm also the worst about setting things down and forgetting them, no matter what it is.

Best thing to do is lock it up in the room safe. Some people do need them to keep up with their job, school, etc. so it's best to keep it in a bag and protected in a case when not in use.

My iPhone, however, does everywhere. The picture quality on my iPhone is way better than my iPad and its convenient to whip it out real quick to check wait times.

Besides all the reasons stated, reports are that wifi in the parks is sporadic at best. When we were there in November even resort wifi was awful.

~Personally, I wouldn't bring my Ipad in the parks. I would never use it and I would be too afraid to damage it. Also, it's way too cumbersome to use as a camera. With that said, I have also seen many people with Kindle Fire's and stuff in parks, primarily restaurants though. So, I guess it all depends on your needs and touring style! Have fun! :goodvibes

We bring ours. My mother doesn't do all rides so it is a good chance for her to catch up on email. My son has Autism and has issues with waiting for things like parades and fireworks some uses it during those times, or while we wait to eat in a restaurant. It came in very handy in November when we were stuck on a crowded boat...he turned it on, started to watch the tigger movie and some little kids around us were able to enjoy it as well. Bringing it to the park is not for everyone, but it works well for us.

I would never bring one in the parks, and I would never agree that it's a good idea to (rain, water rides, stolen, broken...)...

But to each his own.

You bought it, so take it where ever you want! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter