What To Bring

This summer at WDW my family and I were at Rainforest Cafe chatting about our day while we waited for our food to arrive, and I happened to look over at the table next to us - the dad was playing on his phone, the two little kids were playing on ipads and one kid was playing his nintendo DS, and the mom looked bored out of her mind. I remember thinking it was such a shame they were missing out on a chance to enjoy each others company and the experience of the theme restaurant.

Maybe they had had enough of each other's company and this was the best option for them to not kill each other? :rotfl2:

I would not bring my iPad into the parks. Mine stayed locked in the safe during the day. It doesn't take that great of pictures and is very distracting to other guests.

And I think people just look silly using them to videotape and take pics. They're so big!

I'd just bring something that would easily slip in your pocket, and enjoy yourself without worrying about that monstrosity. This is coming from an IPad owner and lover!

While I will take the iPAD to WDW, I will not be taking it to the parks. I would love to have it because its a lot easier to check ressies, wait time, etc than on my phone, it's just just too big to lug around, not to mention the risk of breakage or theft. What the heck would you do with it on rides like Space Mountain if there isn't someone in your party sitting out?

Even when people go to place like Disney they feel the need not to socialize anymore. A sad site in our society now a days as stated before is that no one wants to talk to each other.:surfweb:

I find it FAR more sad that people are so dang judgemental in general. My DS has severe ADHD (yes we get judged by people who don't even think that exists, too, but whatever) and I will probably bring our Kindle fire for him to play with just in case the lines are really difficult. It will just be him and myself, and I'd rather have a little insurance plan to keep things running smoothly for the both of us than worry about someone else thinking we are anti-social or that my parenting is lazy. :)

I know that iPads and other tablets can be very useful for some families/ kids. I don't mean to be judgmental in those cases. It just seems like many adults use them to tune out of their vacation. I take vacation to get away for real life. Also, it just does not seem like the best photo option - too big and not the greatest photos.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

boocake said:
I find it FAR more sad that people are so dang judgemental in general. My DS has severe ADHD (yes we get judged by people who don't even think that exists, too, but whatever) and I will probably bring our Kindle fire for him to play with just in case the lines are really difficult. It will just be him and myself, and I'd rather have a little insurance plan to keep things running smoothly for the both of us than worry about someone else thinking we are anti-social or that my parenting is lazy. :)

I agree! You have no idea why someone may be staring at a phone or iPad. My DH is often on the phone or checking email while we are at WDW (we are locals and have APs). He is self-employed in a business that's Internet-based. That means he rarely has an entire day off, even when we are actually "on vacation." Just something to think about before you feel sorry for us for having an "anti-social" dad or husband. :)

LisaBi said:
While I will take the iPAD to WDW, I will not be taking it to the parks. I would love to have it because its a lot easier to check ressies, wait time, etc than on my phone, it's just just too big to lug around, not to mention the risk of breakage or theft. What the heck would you do with it on rides like Space Mountain if there isn't someone in your party sitting out?

Not trying to convince anyone to bring an iPad into the park ... It's something we do, but its not for everyone. But, to answer your question, I keep it in its case in my backpack and its always safe. I also have a waterproof sleeve if we're hitting Splash. Again, no snark here ... Totally respect everyone's opinion, just wanted to answer your question.

boocake said:

Ditto! I don't know how using an iPad implies that I'm disengaged from my vacation. In our case, we are not a special needs family. My husbands work requires he be available during vacation ... mobile devices are HOW he stays engaged with his family. Otherwise, he'd spend the trip in the hotel room. Sometimes we let the 4-year-old play games or watch movies so we can enjoy some adult conversation at California Grill over a long dinner. To be quite frank, 8 days at WDW is a long trip ... I freely admit that every once in awhile, I like to find a quiet spot and a cold drink. During those times, I'll often pull out the iPad and fiddle with Facebook or ADRs or GASP The DIS! Does this make me anti- social? I think a lot of people made valid points as to why one shouldn't bring an iPad into the park. The idea that its somehow intrinsically rude or anti-social baffles me, though!!!

Great Idea! Good for checking wait times. Just whatever you do, don't lose it, and DON'T USE IT TO TAKE PICTURES. People bring theirs and hold them up to take pictures in the middle of rides, fireworks, and other events. This blocks the view for everyone else and it is quite annoying. It is a great tool to use to check wait times and find any info you might want in the parks. I also suggest you go on the app store and get some Disney World ride time apps and Disney's "Mobile Magic App." Enjoy! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter