What time each day in August does it start to cool off? (Orlando vs. NYC)

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by CTPoly425, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Parker Clan

Parker Clan Seriously, is it August yet?!

We go every August and the last couple years even at night it was oppressive. Locals were telling us they hadn't gotten a lot of rain and even the short showers weren't cooling anything down. Late in the afternoon when we were there with the heat index it said 106 on my weather app.

disneydreamer781 likes this.
  2. LAE7

LAE7 Earning My Ears

I applaud your optimism!!:flower1:

mom2rtk likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. Cuchman

Cuchman Mouseketeer

I agree - I say the coolest time is generally very early morning - and it can still be oppressively hot, so plan accordingly. We generally go the end of August and/or beginning of September and the heat is just something we accept.

I also agree with the poster that said that, in the evening, at least you don't have the sun beating down on you so it can be easier to be in the open. But I completely agree with CAS239.

5. mamamelody2

mamamelody2 Mouseketeer

I agree with PPs, it does not "cool off" in August. We were there late September last year and it didn't really cool off. No matter how late/early, the humidity was quite oppressive. Add the blazing sun mid-day, and I was close to a panic attack a couple times, LOL. Pop into an air-conditioned shop or show if you feel that coming on! I'm not great with heat, though. Some people do just fine.

6. DOOM1001

DOOM1001 DIS Veteran

I know it probably wouldn't work but I would have no issue if during the summer months all the parks didn't open until 4pm and stayed open until 6am.

jods likes this.
  7. bettybooplove

bettybooplove Mouseketeer

Everyone has different tolerances to heat. Some people from cooler areas think it's warm when it's above 70 degrees. I think that's sweater weather.

To answer your question it's very hot between noon and 5pm. It never really cools down. It's just warm and humid at night as opposed to hot and miserable during sunlight.

pigletto likes this.
  8. Perelandra

Perelandra Mouseketeer

That was funny! And true.

9. Marshel

Marshel Mouseketeer

10. DisneyOma

DisneyOma DIS Veteran

No comparison - August in Florida is brutal. I live in MA and go to WDW in August. It's always nice to come home after a long sweaty trip!

We've never had trouble keeping the room cool, even at night. We stay at Pop Century.

We've never felt that it cools down after an August rain - quite the opposite actually - it gets more humid as the heat from the pavement releases into the standing water from the rain, and makes pea soup around everyone...

Hopefully and msb578 like this.
  11. jedi jen

jedi jen Mouseketeer

What time does it cool off in August?......:rotfl2:

12. mom2rtk

mom2rtk Bring Back MARIE!

The afternoon rain will fool you into thinking it's going to cool off.

Don't fall for it. ;)

13. mikebb

mikebb Earning My Ears

Cool off in August??? Hahaha you're funny. We live down here and it does not "cool off" until October. I will say, though that a muggy summer day/night in the NE is basically the same as Orlando, I've been in NYC where is unbearable in August, and in FL where it's rather pleasant. A lot depends on how you're dressed and what you're doing.

14. dreiwhit

dreiwhit DIS Veteran

Joking aside, our our week after Thanksgiving trip in 2016, Orlando was having record highs. On our second to last day in the parks, it was 85 degrees with high humidity. Only on our last day did the temps drop into the 60s for a high with much lower humidity.

15. ArwenMarie

ArwenMarie DIS Veteran

NYC is hot in August especially with all of the concrete. The one difference here is we do cool off more at night, minus the "heatwave" weeks

16. CTPoly425

CTPoly425 Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone, this is the OP here. Just wanted to show my appreciation for all of the feedback. While some of the posts did indeed scare me a bit as a New Yorker, the one thing I have to admit noticing is that no one said "DON'T GO" or "reschedule your trip!"

To be honest we started thinking of going in September after the first few posts, but I'm not sure the small difference in temperature/humidity between August and September would make enough of a difference to go through the headache of rescheduling.

ArwenMarie likes this.
  17. maltdizzy

maltdizzy DIS Veteran

September just as humid as August (more humid than June or July), and only begins to cool off around the end of the month.

Plus, if you were looking to reschedule a sea/land trip, mid-August to mid-October is peak hurricane season in the Atlantic, September is a less predictable time plan a cruise out of Florida, that's why prices get cheaper and why no West Caribbean cruises get schedule then.

18. Pigletpal40

Pigletpal40 Mouseketeer

October;)

19. disneydreamer781

disneydreamer781 Wé la oh mé la wé-la, wé-é yey-yé oh é yé.

August? Never! I also don't find it "cooling off" after it rains either. It actually feels more humid after a shower. September is on the way also and that month may very well be the hottest month in FL. At least it's the steamiest from my experience.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  20. Marshel

Marshel Mouseketeer

I'm from TN. so am used to hot and humid. I had a trip a few years back that started around 9/20 and it had already started to cool off some back in TN. Arrived on a Saturday afternoon and had the day all planned out; it was brutally hot and humid. By the time I hauled all my stuff out to the rental car at the airport, and even a longer haul to my room at the All Stars that overlooked the pool; I was soaking in sweat. Plans changed to a pool day and a late trip to MK solely to see the fireworks. If you're coming from some place cooler, it does take a day or so to adjust back to the heat/humidity.

21. mamamelody2

mamamelody2 Mouseketeer

Yeah, September isn't much different. Definitely not worth the hassle of trying to switch everything around!